Menu

Questions about mono. No fatigue?

LadyR

My 17yo dd has mono. Her tonsils and throat are swollen and have white spots and she's in a lot of pain which radiates throughout her neck and into her ears. She's finding it very, very difficult to swallow. Pain meds are not helping. She was also tested for strep and it was negative. Her spleen is slightly enlarged. The funny thing is that she feels no fatigue at all. In fact, she had been dancing daily in a very demanding ballet class up until she got the sore throat.

How long do you think this sore throat will last? Is it unusual that she doesn't have any fatigue - or is that coming next?

The fatigue will follow. She will feel like she ran (or danced, in her case ;) ) into a brick wall.

Ds was diagnosed with mono in late May. He had had a cold, or so he thought, for a week or two until he noticed a swollen lump on his neck. His throat was painfully sore, he was coughing, but he was able to continue with school (papers and one final exam) and activities (Boy Scouts, hiking, biking etc). By the time the mono test results came back, he was absolutely wiped out. I think he slept 18 hours of out every 24 for the next two weeks!

I had mono in college with symptoms similar to your daughter's. I contracted it over spring break, drove myself 5 hours home to my mom, sucking on ice all the way because of the throat pain. My mom took me to the ER because I was close to not being able to swallow. The dr. admitted me so I could have IV steroids to make the swelling go down. All this to say that it was a real case of mono, but I never did have the fatigue that supposedly always goes with it. After 24 hours at the hospital, I was begging to go home and was fine almost from then on. I missed one day of classes and one day of work.

Terri

Fatigue showed up later for me. I got mono my freshman year of college. It forced me to drop out in October of the first semester. The sore throat was horrendous and I ended up with tonsillitis and bronchitis, in addition to the mono :tongue_smilie:.

When the fatigue did show up, it was like nothing I had ever experienced. I remember taking a shower and then falling asleep on the bathroom floor! It was January before I started feeling like myself again.

:grouphug: to you and your daughter. Mono is no fun!

I had reactivated mono a few years ago (I didn't know I'd had it the first time around). It was the worst sore throat I'd had in my life but wasn't fatigued beyond what I would be with a normal cold. I did follow my doctor's orders and park it in the recliner for a week, however.

I had mono once in high school. The sore throat came first, and got so bad I couldn't swallow fluids. I ended up in the hospital for four days on morphine. The fatigue came pretty quickly after that, and to this day, I have never been that tired in my life. I'd fall asleep in the middle of sentences.

What's really disappointing is that this week my dd was to begin a pre-professional ballet program. She's been waiting six months for this and now she has to wait longer. Four years ago she caught a virus and ended up with chronic fatigue syndrome which lasted a year and a half and she had to take a full two years off from her ballet training. I'm hoping and praying she won't go through that again!! She was so weak she could barely sit up at times. It was scary.

Edited by LadyNancy

I had mono soon after I got married. The sore throat was horrible. My voice changed and my throat was so swollen. I was in graduate school within months from taking board exam. I was lucky that I did not have the fatigue phase of mono, otherwise I wouldn't be able to take the board exam. I remember I took a lot of vitamin C everyday, like around 2000 mg, because I thought I was coming down with a cold. I don't know if it helped or not with the fatigue.