Menu

Should I do this?

My oldest dd is living at a public boarding school for arts for the state of SC. It is a school where students are accepted based on ability. Very few student are accepted to the school (about 300 total in attendance) and there is a long waiting list. Student must keep good grades and have good behavior in order to stay in the school. It is an honor and privilege to attend this school and the students know this. My dd has commented how EVERY student in EVERY class is quiet, attentive and does their work.

Now, there is a new French teacher at the arts school. Most of the student in my dd's French 2 class are failing. The only student from my dd previous high school, that was accepted to this arts school, made A's in french last year at their old high school and has a C in this class. My dd has said that the teacher teaches the entire class in french instead of english. The teacher actually asked my dc if she was pretending to not know the material. This upset my dd. She is a model student. She has not been able to attend tutoring because she has had private voice lesson (the whole reason for being at the school) at that time. My dd IS planning on attending tutoring, but has not been able to since it is only once a week on Friday.

The reason my dd knows that most students are failing is because she passed the graded tests back out to the students in her class. The scores were averaging in the 40's and 50's with the highest grade being in the 80's. SC has a very steep grading scale (100-93=A, 92-85=B, 84-77=C 76-70=D). I have a feeling the highest grade in the class was a C. The teacher IS going to let ALL the students retake the test. My dd made a 49 on the test the first time. The retake has not been given yet. My dd is NOT a good tester, but knowing that most of the students are failing says something to me. The seniors in French 3, who had a different teacher last year, are failing too. The highest grade in the French 3 class was an 90 which is only a B in SC.

Here is my question:

Should I call the principle and talk to him about this? I have a hard time believing that students who are accepted to this school would just be "slacking", especially with the comments my dd has made about how well behaved and how hard students work. If it were only my dd who was failing I would talk to the teacher but sense it is the majority of the class, I feel like I need to talk to the principle.

I have asked my dd to find out exactly how many students are failing in the class before I call.

Should I call and talk to the principle?

Edited by Tabrett

I would first have my daughter to ask the teacher specifically what is required to make an A.

I don't really care if my dd makes an A. She struggles in particular subjects. But I do know she works very hard and studies. I expect at least a C from a child who puts forth as much effort as she does. She normally has to work the same amount as an A student to make C's. As discouraging as that is, she is willing to put forth the effort.

As far as I can tell, you have to make high scores on the tests to make an A. She has had 2 quizzes and one test on which a grade has been given for the interim report.

My dd is at an arts boarding school in MI this year for the first time. Our school really encouraged parents to contact individual teachers with questions. They recognize that our dc are far from home and want to partner with parents. My suggestion would be for you to begin with the teacher.

As an aside, our school specifically mentioned foreign language as an area where their standards may not mesh well with a student's previous school. Students often have to drop back a level. Is it possible that your dd's arts school is advanced in the presentation of foreign language?

Beth

I don't really care if my dd makes an A. She struggles in particular subjects. But I do know she works very hard and studies. I expect at least a C from a child who puts forth as much effort as she does. She normally has to work the same amount as an A student to make C's. As discouraging as that is, she is willing to put forth the effort.

As far as I can tell, you have to make high scores on the tests to make an A. She has had 2 quizzes and one test on which a grade has been given for the interim report.

My point is not to make an A, but to have her get a clear answer regarding expectations. It is the teacher's job to give clear expectations and give the students a reasonable path to meeting those expectations. In this case I would have your dd ask what is necessary for an A and for a C if that is what she would be happy with.