Menu

Experience with U of OK online high school courses

Since dropping the dual enrollment physics (which he will complete at home under my supervision), we want to add a 1/2 credit course - elective sort. The University of Oklahoma is on ds's list of universities to consider and I have heard good things about their high school German language course. Does anyone have experience with any of the other courses? We are specifically looking at: Art (appreciation), Psychology, 1 semester of senior English, Personal Development (using 7 Habits of ...Teens). He has all his required courses completed with the exception of Senior English. He is planning to dual enroll in Freshman Comp 1 in the spring. He will have LOTs of math credits so he doesn't want to do any more of that.

Any input or suggestions? TIA!

Cynthia,

I would look and see if you can find a college level Psychology course. My older son found the Introductory Psychology at the CC not very taxing, and the credits transferred to his current school and are being used to fill liberal arts distribution requirements. This means one more elective he can take in years to come or possibly these and his other transfer credits might mean he has time for a coop semester and can still graduate in 4 years. I think art appreciation would be my second choice if you think it would transfer. Best wishes on finding a good fit.

Brenda

I'd love to do that, but I can't find anything that hasn't already begun class work. These high school courses through the Univ. of OK are self-paced and allow 180 days to complete from time of enrollment. So he could begin mid semester. I would much prefer to get the dual credit, but unless I can find a school that operates on quarters, I don't see how to do it.

The art would be a bit of a repeat from what he did this summer in his Western Civilization course (through Hillsdale). They traveled to Italy and went saw many of the famous art works. He isn't getting art credit for the course, though.

I like the idea of psychology but I've heard that there is a wide variation in how it is taught. I, personally, loved my entry level psychology courses in college.