Menu

GWG vs BJU English

MSMom

Can anyone offer a comparison of these two programs? I need to make a choice for my dd (2nd grade) and need more input to make a wise choice for my family.

I understand that GWG is very thorough - how does BJU stack up from a grammar standpoint? Is it just as thorough? Does it leave gaps?

I'm not ready for a large investment in a writing program (like IEW ...). I feel I can save that investment for later years. So ... how does the directed writing in BJU compare to that in Just Write or Writing Strands?

Dd enjoys worksheets/workbooks. Her penmanship is fairly good, and I prefer copy work to be scripture at this point. Thus, I'm not considering R&S at this point.

I like the concept of grammar one week (or lesson) and writing the next - as is presented in BJU. And I like one course vs. 2 totally separate courses. However, I'm not opposed to buying 2 different progrms (1 for writing and1 for grammar) if I will get a better end result with that approach.

Please provide "frank" feedback as that will help me to make the best choice for my family.

Thanks in advance for your experience and feedback !!!

I have never used GWG, but I currently am using BJU English 5 (their current edition). Last year we did separate grammar (A Beka) and writing (Zaner Bloser) programs and, honestly, it was very time consuming. I have loved this year. My dd isn't the workbook lover, but she has willingly done this with a good attitude. I think she likes that she gets to switch from the grammar to writing and then back again. I've not looked at the younger grades. 5th grade has 16 chapters, alternating the chapters between the two. She had writing projects of a compare-contrast essay, a persuasive business letter, poetry, personal narrative, a book review, research report, imaginative instructions, and a play. I definitely plan on using it with our ds, and I'll use it with her from now on.

If you are considering it you can actually purchase the program A LOT cheaper through Christian Liberty Press (2nd - 6th grade only). The teacher's book is basically an answer key with a little bit of instruction on how to handle the chapters. It's been fine to me at this level. They also have tests.

Amy

11yo dd

4yo ds

with any grammar program. At that point, it's mostly just copywork and moving towards some simple dictation and writing their own narrations. It sounds like BJU is the type of program you would like, based on the last poster's review. GWG is all grammar. I've not used level 2/3, but use 4 w/ my ds9. He does well. He likes the workbook format. I don't use a formal grammar w/ my 1st and 2nd graders nor do I use a writing program. I'm tempted to use WWE next year, but really think the concepts are the same as SWB describes in WTM...copywork, dictation and narration...all of which we do now!

However, it does sound like BJU fits more of your criteria than GWG as GWG is simply grammar.

Can anyone offer a comparison of these two programs? I need to make a choice for my dd (2nd grade) and need more input to make a wise choice for my family.

I understand that GWG is very thorough - how does BJU stack up from a grammar standpoint? Is it just as thorough? Does it leave gaps?

I'm not ready for a large investment in a writing program (like IEW ...). I feel I can save that investment for later years. So ... how does the directed writing in BJU compare to that in Just Write or Writing Strands?

Dd enjoys worksheets/workbooks. Her penmanship is fairly good, and I prefer copy work to be scripture at this point. Thus, I'm not considering R&S at this point.

I like the concept of grammar one week (or lesson) and writing the next - as is presented in BJU. And I like one course vs. 2 totally separate courses. However, I'm not opposed to buying 2 different progrms (1 for writing and1 for grammar) if I will get a better end result with that approach.

Please provide "frank" feedback as that will help me to make the best choice for my family.

Thanks in advance for your experience and feedback !!!

We are using GWG this year for 3rd grade, and both my 8 yo dd and I love it!

Basically it's just teaching parts of speech in a quick 2 page format for the student text (gr. 3 anyway). It gives a definition for a part of speech or sentence structure, and shows it in an example, and then follows with several more examples. I'd say it's about a 1/2 - 3/4 page of explination with more than a page of examples. And the pages are NOT crammed packed. Text is very widely spaced on the page.

Then the workbook has 2-3 different exercise parts where you apply your new knowledge. There are T and F questions, sentences for you to copy/fill in the missing info, etc.

We used FLL for 1st and 2nd prior to using GWG. I think they follow each other nicely. My dd already had a nice understanding of grammar from FLL, so applying everything in GWG is easy for her. She does it all independently. I have helped her a little with diagramming, and some other small things, but nothing more than reading the lesson page out loud to her and perhaps doing 1 question/problem with her to walk her through it.

I have not seen BJU English.

I do however feel the need to look into more of a writing program for her next year, something where she is writing paragraphs, more than just sentences.

HTH

I've used almost every year of BJU English, but my youngest just didn't do well with it. It was just too much writing and workbook for her, and too rigid - she loves to write, but really detests anything in a workbook format. We switched to GWG, and she's been much happier. I really think that for this one, the uncluttered pages are more attractive to her. Her writing consists of several different things, including copywork little stories we write that go with our literature, and SOTW narrations, so trying to do so much 'formal' writing was sort of overkill for this one.

She's just a different kind of learner, and for some reason, the BJU turned her off. She has to have a bit more freedom and variety than the writing in BJU provided, and the grammar/phonics wasn't her favorite, either. Too much work, too many pages to do. She likes how GWG gets right to the point. I plan on adding Writing Tales for her next year.

My older ones have done well with BJU English, but GWG wasn't around then (or I didn't know about it). I really like the BJU, but they haven't been as thrilled. :glare: We have done a few of the Writing Strands books, and that is definitely low on the list. They say horrible things about those books, but they have learned something from them.

One other thing, as far as teaching, there is no comparison. GWG is quick and easy, and can be done more independently. BJU has all of the extras - flip charts, supplies to gather (never did that), so it seems more busy to teach and does take longer. I do still like it, though, but for my youngest, she'll stick w/GWG just as high as it goes. It makes grammar easy to accomplish.

I've used both BJU and GWG. BJu is a very good and complete grammar program with writing included. Every other unit is writing. So you do 1 unit of grammar and 1 unit of writing. THere is plenty of review built in and it is very straightforward. I like the grammar portion for this reason.

I do not care for the writing portion at all. I do not think a 2nd or 3rd grader needs to know how to write a business letter. I also think their venn diagramming, t charts, rubriks, etc are a bit overkill. But, I adore CW so that might give you an idea where I am coming from!

GWG is also very straightforward. There are no pictures and it is black and white not color. The lessons are very to the point with considerable review built in.

I switched to GWG at first because of the price. BJU was getting very expensive for me - TM plus student worktext adds up. And, I was only using it for grammar. I was buying a seperate writing program. It was just not cost effective. GWG is very reasonably priced. I am sticking with GWG because my dd loves it, retains the material and it is extremely easy to teach.

I dont think you would go wrong with either program. If you like BJU writing style and want to use it - then that is a plus. If you like the color and "add ins" in the BJU lessons, then that is a plus too. If you want very straight forward and no writing, then GWG will readily fit the bill.

Have you looked at sample pages?

Many thanks to all of you for the feedback ...

But, I adore CW so that might give you an idea where I am coming from!

It's a bit late right now and I'm having a brain lapse ... can you remind me what CW is?

For those of you who have used BJU, how necessary are the TG's? The sample pages of the Student Worktext that I've seen appear to be pretty self explanatory. Are the TG's needed everytime your child sits down or only occasionally as you introduce a new topic?

I'm thinking dd may need a structured approach to writing because her thoughts tend to ramble extensively at this point. And yes, she's just 1st grade, but she can be very "list" oriented and having some standard "to do items" as she begins to write may not be a bad thing for her. She could use some strategies/methodologies to help her organize her thoughts before she begins writing a paragraph.

I have actually used Venn diagrams with her some this year as we have compared and contrasted various types of animals in science. I found it helped her to "remember" more than she thought she knew...

I've been very amused and amazed at times (frustrated at other times) as I have worked to figure out her learning style. I'm actually using sample pages from various programs to try and determine which grammar and writing programs might work best for her.

Again, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your thoughts and willingness to share your experiences.

• 2 months later...
Many thanks to all of you for the feedback ...

It's a bit late right now and I'm having a brain lapse ... can you remind me what CW is?

For those of you who have used BJU, how necessary are the TG's? The sample pages of the Student Worktext that I've seen appear to be pretty self explanatory. Are the TG's needed everytime your child sits down or only occasionally as you introduce a new topic?

I'm thinking dd may need a structured approach to writing because her thoughts tend to ramble extensively at this point. And yes, she's just 1st grade, but she can be very "list" oriented and having some standard "to do items" as she begins to write may not be a bad thing for her. She could use some strategies/methodologies to help her organize her thoughts before she begins writing a paragraph.

I have actually used Venn diagrams with her some this year as we have compared and contrasted various types of animals in science. I found it helped her to "remember" more than she thought she knew...

I've been very amused and amazed at times (frustrated at other times) as I have worked to figure out her learning style. I'm actually using sample pages from various programs to try and determine which grammar and writing programs might work best for her.

Again, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your thoughts and willingness to share your experiences.

As the other poster said, order from Christian Liberty. That way you can get the TM with answers. It's VERY inexpensive. :-)

Is there a spot just for curriculum reviews or are you talking about doing a search for curriculum reviews?

When you get to my blog, look on the right hand side in the sidebar under the category topics and you'll see 'Curriculum Reviews' as one of my categories. Click 'Curriculum Reviews' and you'll reach the page with all of my various reviews. At the bottom of the page you'll see a 'Previous Entries' link, which you'll need to click to read even more of my reviews. Let me know if you have a problem. HTH!