Menu

Calling all geek and gamer girls!

:lol:

I shielded dd14 (the math geek) for years from RPGs and on-line games. But then came the fateful day that she discovered an old Avalon Hill strategy game at Half Price Books, and she's never looked back. I can't vacuum her room without going around on my hands and knees finding little cardboard squares first. She defeats her friends in WWII regularly. (Quote: "They don't seem to understand that all Russia has to do is keep building up its population and sit back and wait.")

I shielded dd14 (the math geek) for years from RPGs and on-line games. But then came the fateful day that she discovered an old Avalon Hill strategy game at Half Price Books, and she's never looked back. I can't vacuum her room without going around on my hands and knees finding little cardboard squares first. She defeats her friends in WWII regularly. (Quote: "They don't seem to understand that all Russia has to do is keep building up its population and sit back and wait.")

You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

I was at a coffee house with some of my gamer friends when these guys were trying to act cool and "teach" a couple of us girls Risk.

They were not expecting my reign of terror across their puny settlements. My gamer friends thought it was *hilarious* :lol:

The best thing about being a cute and not stupid girl at gaming events? They NEVER let you die! "Oh...you rolled a two...BUT you find a magical amulet, you win!"

Edited by Mrs Mungo

She's right though :lol:

That is great. Of course I watched it thinking it didn't apply to me. Apparently, I'm way geekier than I thought. So say we all.

All those years of playing rpgs with my son and trying to carry on a conversation with him while he was into video games must have rubbed some of it off on me.

Yikes. Time to rethink my life. But then again, hubby and I p0wned ds and his girlfriend this summer at the new Halo Risk. :D

That is great. Of course I watched it thinking it didn't apply to me. Apparently, I'm way geekier than I thought. So say we all.

All those years of playing rpgs with my son and trying to carry on a conversation with him while he was into video games must have rubbed some of it off on me.

Yikes. Time to rethink my life. But then again, hubby and I p0wned ds and his girlfriend this summer at the new Halo Risk. :D

Have I mentioned that back in the day my mom bought me a PS2 and Tomb Raider because she got stuck and needed help? :lol:

I've got a lot of geek cred -- have attended Comic-con since 1984, married into the comic book biz, play WoW, love Doctor Who, Battlestar, and Star Wars and Star Trek. BUT, at the risk of sounding like the old geezer that I am (my dh and I are old enough to remember watching the original Star Trek when it was new)....

Love the song. Love the lyrics. Love that these women are in Sailor Moon costumes at Comic-con - they seem to be the real geeky thing. But I was initially put off that the music video depicts gamer girls as a fan-boy's wet dream. I'm not a prude, but really. Having them nude on stacks of game and DVD packages with lightsabers and gaming controllers cleverly blocking out key parts of their anatomy? Is this our fantasy depiction of our geeky selves or is this packaged to appeal to the men? I kept thinking that if I were 25 years younger I wouldn't be bothered with this, and maybe my distaste comes from the jealously that only a 50 year old crone can have.

Just curious what you young whipper snappers have to say about my initial reaction. Am I too old school feminist? Bitter old lady??!! Or, are the women in the video much like the super hero actors in the movies -- an unattainable but satisfying representation of the fantasy ideal?

I've got a lot of geek cred -- have attended Comic-con since 1984, married into the comic book biz, play WoW, love Doctor Who, Battlestar, and Star Wars and Star Trek. BUT, at the risk of sounding like the old geezer that I am (my dh and I are old enough to remember watching the original Star Trek when it was new)....

Love the song. Love the lyrics. Love that these women are in Sailor Moon costumes at Comic-con - they seem to be the real geeky thing. But I was initially put off that the music video depicts gamer girls as a fan-boy's wet dream. I'm not a prude, but really. Having them nude on stacks of game and DVD packages with lightsabers and gaming controllers cleverly blocking out key parts of their anatomy? Is this our fantasy depiction of our geeky selves or is this packaged to appeal to the men? I kept thinking that if I were 25 years younger I wouldn't be bothered with this, and maybe my distaste comes from the jealously that only a 50 year old crone can have.

Just curious what you young whipper snappers have to say about my initial reaction. Am I too old school feminist? Bitter old lady??!! Or, are the women in the video much like the super hero actors in the movies -- an unattainable but satisfying representation of the fantasy ideal?

We went to the The Expendables the other night (MAJORLY disappointing, BTW). Even my hubby commented that I was probably disappointed Jason Stathem had his shirt on the entire movie. So, I don't know if I can complain too much.

In this case? It's modeled after Katy Perry's video, so it's partly modeling that video.

You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

OK, so I love you. Because that was awesome.

But I was initially put off that the music video depicts gamer girls as a fan-boy's wet dream. I'm not a prude, but really.

In my experience, there are two kinds of gamer guys. One kind hides from gamer girls because they are :eek: female! The other kind prefer chain mail bikinis to nudes.

Rosie

Now see -- there I'm showing my age. I know who Katy Perry is, but haven't seen the video, hadn't heard the original song.

And yes, Jason Stathem sadly was in his shirt all during The Expendables. While waiting for that movie to start a few weeks ago I had the happy experience of a young man asking me if I was a librarian or something. Great. I now exude the vibe of an old prim broad!!!