Menu

Help!!!!!!!! with Literature Plans

Help!!!!!!

I have no clue to how to teach my 10th graders how to keep a reading journal nor do a literary analysis. I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction of a general guide for my kids to follow while doing their literature course.

Is there an outline or something that we can follow for each of the books they read... like a grading rubric to keep a reading journal and to write a literature essay? I found several literature guides, etc for specific book titles. I need a basic lesson plan that can be used as a generic literature guide.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you assigning books and just unsure of what else to have your 10th grader do besides read? This may not be what you are looking for, but here goes...

I find the Well Educated Mind to be the most comprehensive source for literary analysis. There are details on how to keep a reading journal and many discussion questions for analyzing different literary genres at different levels. It doesn't have a grading rubric. I'm not big on grading -- either the work is being done or not and progress is being made or it isn't. What you want in an essay is a clear thesis statement, then logical arguments that directly relate to the thesis. It won't happen immediately -- you work towards that end.

The site resources Susan was pointing you to are here: workshops and handouts. You'll probably want to start with "What is literary analysis". There are also mp3 downloads of these workshops available for purchase at Peace Hill Press.

I myself use Sparknotes in addition to the basic questions found in the Well Educated Mind. I sometimes also search on-line for lesson plans for particular titles, and sometimes get Teaching Company lectures, too.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a huge help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My next question is...

For a semester course (1/2 credit) in literature, how many books are typically read and how many of those have reading journal and/or literary analysis essay assigned per book? I went to TWTM site Jenn linked me to and Susan recommended.... it said to not do writings for all books read.

Do you think that if I have my kids read 6 books, and have them do a reading journal for four books and write three essays... is that enough for 1/2 credit?????

Edited by AnitaMcC