Menu

do I need to supplement MCT grammar town for my 6th dd??

Johanna

Is it enough for me to do the whole town package? She has had GWG 3-5 up to this point, do I need to do GWG 6 or BJU Eng 6 as well?

Can I just do MCT, will that be enough?? We are also doing SWB's new writing 5th grade pilot program.

Any opinions, cause it would be nice to simplify....kinda stressed over here!!!:001_huh:

Edited by Johanna
aweful spelling mistakes! LOL

Is it enough for me to do the whole town package? She has has GWG 3-5 up to this point, do I need to do GWG 6 or BJU Eng 6 as well?

Can I just do MCT, will that be enoough?? We are also doing SWB's new writing 5th grade pilot program.

Opinions, cause it would be nice to simplify....kinda stressed over here!!!:001_huh:

I used it by itself and it was more than plenty.

MCT stands for Michael Clay Thompson. If you search here you'll find a ton more info about it. You can also go to Royal Fireworks Press and search there.

This has been my question about MCT as well. We used CLE last year and stopped to read through Grammar Island and start Practice Island. We've started off this year back in CLE, and at some point I'm planning to read through Grammar Island again this year and pick up where we left off in PI. I'll add in the other MCT supplements as well. I've been curious about the things like "your, you're" and "their, there, they're"...things CLE covers but MCT hasn't yet (in what limited experience I have with it).

MCT does a fantastic job of introducing the 8 parts of speech and Practice Island does a great job of cementing that knowledge. I'm just curious if, since MCT was developed originally for gifted students, it was used in gifted programs which generally meet once a week and provide instruction above and beyond that which children are already receiving in their traditional classes. That made me wonder if it worked better as a supplement than as a complete curriculum...however, as I said, I'm just in the beginning stages, so I'm just in the wondering place too. :001_smile:

MCT stands for Michael Clay Thompson. If you search here you'll find a ton more info about it. You can also go to Royal Fireworks Press and search there.

This has been my question about MCT as well. We used CLE last year and stopped to read through Grammar Island and start Practice Island. We've started off this year back in CLE, and at some point I'm planning to read through Grammar Island again this year and pick up where we left off in PI. I'll add in the other MCT supplements as well. I've been curious about the things like "your, you're" and "their, there, they're"...things CLE covers but MCT hasn't yet (in what limited experience I have with it).

MCT does a fantastic job of introducing the 8 parts of speech and Practice Island does a great job of cementing that knowledge. I'm just curious if, since MCT was developed originally for gifted students, it was used in gifted programs which generally meet once a week and provide instruction above and beyond that which children are already receiving in their traditional classes. That made me wonder if it worked better as a supplement than as a complete curriculum...however, as I said, I'm just in the beginning stages, so I'm just in the wondering place too. :001_smile:

I don't have any experience at the Island level, but my experience last year with Town lasted more than a year. We dragged the writing out.

If you are just going to use the grammar and practice book, then I think it would be a great supplement to any program. The grammar book is meant to be read first, sort of as an intro to be applied to the writing. If you wanted to add in the writing, vocab, and poetics, I don't see you needing much else unless you needed additional instruction on something particular.

I was also wondering about this. I may just take out my Handbook for Writers and have DD memorize the definitions that I learned. For example, the definition of a noun in Grammar Island is just a name of a thing or a person. It doesn't mention "place." Maybe someone can correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly. I also don't like the definition of a pronoun in the book, but maybe it's written like that so that kids can understand it. Perhaps it's more complete in the next level?