Menu

Grrrrrrr...but thank you for being the diverse group you are.

I took ds4 to story time today at the children's museum and he wanted dd7 to come along. While talking with another lady about our boys playing together she noticed my dd7 and asked if I homeschool. I said yes and then she proceeded to ask me about homeschooling and specifically the different paths homeschoolers take. I was trying to tell her in completely unbiased fashion all of the different styles and methods of homeschooling. Well, I came to unschooling and was beginning to explain that there were even many, many different ways of unschooling according to the knowledge I have. My whole tone was that there wasn't one right way to do any of it and that she would have to find what worked best for her family.

Well, another woman, whom I had heard speaking to someone earlier about how far advanced all of her children are, (1yr, 5yr and 6.5yr) came over and literally butted right in between myself and the lady I was talking to and began to tell her that she unschooled her children and that if you were going to homeschool at all that is the only way you should do it. I interjected to the woman I had been conversing with first that there are many people who would disagree with that and that she should research it herself and make a determination. Well, unschooler just kept on telling her not to waste her time and that if she did it her way her child would be far superior. Grrrrrr I wanted to ask her if she wouldn't mind going away but I didn't. Instead I excused myself and walked to a nearby bench. A few minutes later the woman I originally had been talking to came over and sat next to me and asked if all unschoolers were that rude, abrasive and obnoxious. So, I spent the next few minutes defending the unschooler group. I was glad that I had read all of the threads here on that subject so that I could give, what I think, was a pretty accurate picture.

Anyway, no questions, just wanted to vent about that rude woman and to say thanks to all of you here for giving me the knowledge to be able to help out another homeschooler wannabe with unbiased information.:D

I don't know where people get the nerve to act like that! I can't imagine going up to total strangers and being so rude!

I guess her children's supposed superior intellect makes her feel somehow compelled to educate everyone else on her discovery of the "right way" to do it. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I used to do homeschool testing. Some unschoolers do quite a bit of school just in a different format. Others, not so much. I had one family that just made no progress year after year. The mother continued to tell me that she was sure her method was best for her kids but she literally did nothing with them as far as education. I think she had heard the term unschooling and thought it would be a great miracle whereby the children would learn on their own just by playing and sitting around. I had to tell her that it just wasn't working... at all! After the 3rd year, she finally took my advice, changed what she was doing and the kids began to make progress. I would hate for someone in that camp to be giving advice to potential homeschoolers.

I took ds4 to story time today at the children's museum and he wanted dd7 to come along. While talking with another lady about our boys playing together she noticed my dd7 and asked if I homeschool. I said yes and then she proceeded to ask me about homeschooling and specifically the different paths homeschoolers take. I was trying to tell her in completely unbiased fashion all of the different styles and methods of homeschooling. Well, I came to unschooling and was beginning to explain that there were even many, many different ways of unschooling according to the knowledge I have. My whole tone was that there wasn't one right way to do any of it and that she would have to find what worked best for her family.

Well, another woman, whom I had heard speaking to someone earlier about how far advanced all of her children are, (1yr, 5yr and 6.5yr) came over and literally butted right in between myself and the lady I was talking to and began to tell her that she unschooled her children and that if you were going to homeschool at all that is the only way you should do it. I interjected to the woman I had been conversing with first that there are many people who would disagree with that and that she should research it herself and make a determination. Well, unschooler just kept on telling her not to waste her time and that if she did it her way her child would be far superior. Grrrrrr I wanted to ask her if she wouldn't mind going away but I didn't. Instead I excused myself and walked to a nearby bench. A few minutes later the woman I originally had been talking to came over and sat next to me and asked if all unschoolers were that rude, abrasive and obnoxious. So, I spent the next few minutes defending the unschooler group. I was glad that I had read all of the threads here on that subject so that I could give, what I think, was a pretty accurate picture.

Anyway, no questions, just wanted to vent about that rude woman and to say thanks to all of you here for giving me the knowledge to be able to help out another homeschooler wannabe with unbiased information.:D

This rude woman's kids are 1, 5 and 6.5?? And, she thinks she hold the key to the perfect homeschooling formula??

Pfft. Amateur. :001_rolleyes: