Menu

having trouble - "no 'poo" and baking soda

I've been trying the baking soda "no poo" method for a couple weeks now. I use a narrow tipped applicator bottle with a solution of 2C water and 2T baking soda - I use about 1/4 cup for washing. My main problem, aside from the usual adjustment issues, is that I can't seem to get all the baking soda rinsed from my hair. I have thick brown hair and I rinse and rinse and rinse, and still end up with sort of stiff hair with a white filmy residue that comes off on my brush. Any ideas here? I've tried acv rinse on the ends and also tried going without and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

When you rinse, are you massaging your scalp at the same time to help remove the BS? I will admit that I have somethat thin hair, but I use probably 1/3 c BS and around 1/2 c of warm water when I wash. Never had residue.

If you have problems w/the BS b/c you have thick hair, you could try washing your hair w/rosemary - steep several sprigs of rosemary in hot water (like making tea) for 10-20 min. Then use that to wash (making sure to massage your scalp).

I have lots of thick, very curly hair. I don't use shampoo *or* baking soda. I just "wash" with conditioner, then condition again (without rinsing it all out). This has worked very well for me for about 5 years or so. (There have been a handful of times in those 5 years when I've used shampoo -- it usually takes me about a week to get the texture back to normal after doing that though.) I promise, my hair is not dirty, nor am I smelly. ;)

I've been doing the baking soda thing for over a month now. What works for me is washing and rinsing with my head down instead of back. I loved using the acv as a conditioner, but it stunk even after it was dry. Then I'd sweat or get rained on and it would smell all over again. I'm using a regular store-bought conditioner again now. I just need to avoid the sodium laurel/laureth sulfate that strips my hair terribly.

I have lots of thick, very curly hair. I don't use shampoo *or* baking soda. I just "wash" with conditioner, then condition again (without rinsing it all out). This has worked very well for me for about 5 years or so. (There have been a handful of times in those 5 years when I've used shampoo -- it usually takes me about a week to get the texture back to normal after doing that though.) I promise, my hair is not dirty, nor am I smelly. ;)

What kind of conditioner do you use?

:iagree: This is what I do too. I did try the baking soda/acv combo but it left my hair dry and you could see the gray better too. I just was with conditioner and it keeps my hair nice and curly.

Melissa

I briefly tried baking soda. Didn't like it. I just rinse my head when my scalp gets itchy from sweat or whatever (once a week or so I'll shower with my hair down--usually I put it up before showering because I keep it up all day and don't like it being WET all day), and if my hair seems to be getting really dirty or my scalp too oily(i.e. breaking out), I'll go ahead and use a bit of shampoo. This is only every few months.

My hair seems to manage itself well without conditioner or regular shampooing. I keep it covered when I go out; that no doubt helps because it doesn't get dirty very fast.

I've been trying the baking soda "no poo" method for a couple weeks now. I use a narrow tipped applicator bottle with a solution of 2C water and 2T baking soda - I use about 1/4 cup for washing. My main problem, aside from the usual adjustment issues, is that I can't seem to get all the baking soda rinsed from my hair. I have thick brown hair and I rinse and rinse and rinse, and still end up with sort of stiff hair with a white filmy residue that comes off on my brush. Any ideas here? I've tried acv rinse on the ends and also tried going without and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I honestly wonder if you are even using enough baking soda. I have long thick hair and I put between 1/4 and 1/3 c of baking soda in a small bowl add just enough water to make a paste and use the entire amount and scrub into my scalp. Then I flip my hair over and rise from underneath. I do use the acv rinse but that's more for the ends.

I wonder if you are not really using enough baking soda to actually break down to grease and and whatever else you may put in your hair and that build-up is what you are seeing on your hair.