Menu

Cookbook Idea - help me choose

My life has become hectic...I have never had my kids in sports or afternoon activities during the same days...and I usually have time to cook every day.

NOW...my kids have joined Softball, Cheerleading and the other in ROTC after school. I am crazy trying to find time to cook. I need ideas.

Does anyone have a cookbook with quick meals (healthy!!) OR a GREAT kid friendly Crock Pot cook book??

I really need a crock pot cook book. There are so many to choose from. I have a magazine for crockpots but the recipes are too fancy and my kids dont care too much for them.

My husband has diabetes so we eat low fat and lower carb. NOT completely low carb but we really go for low fat recipes. I usually modify anything we cook..but I would love ideas on cook books that are not really fatty recipes!!! Please help me choose something today!! :001_smile:

We cook a lot from the 3 hour cookbook...but we eat too much stir fry. I need alternatives.

I love to try cookbooks from the library. That way you can test them out before buying.

For slow cooker, allrecipes.com has some great recipes. You can sort by rating and make sure you read some of the reviews before you prepare the food.

Fit it and Forget it is a popular slow cooker cookbook. I'm sure your library would have a copy.

For fast and healthy check your library for Weight Watcher cookbooks. They have a series of make if fast type books. I think the gimmick is that all the recipes use under 5 ingredients.

ETA - Rachael Ray has some 30 minute meals. Here is a link to her top 100:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/30-minute-meals/recipes/index.html

Edited by Ferdie

I'd also really suggest some freezer/bulk cooking. That way, you don't have to fix meals fully each night, but have meals that you love ready-made and can toss into the oven, or the microwave to have ready in a jiffy..even when you can't stay in the kitchen forever to prep. Just double up on meals you already love and freeze the extra, pull it out the night before to thaw, and you've got a meal already ready!

Fix it and Forget it books are great for crockpot ideas!

Hmm, not sure if this will help, but I would check out Everyday Food (it's a small magazine usually found by the checkout). Every issue has quick meals (often with a week's meal plan and shopping lists), freeze-it meals (things you make up in a batch ahead of time), under 30-minute meals, and often crock-pot recipes (in season). It has been a life saver for me with the kids' current karate schedule (every evening of the week, plus Saturday morning!) HTH

I love Beth Hensperger's Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker series. I think there are four books in the series; the original one has the most recipes, and then there are volumes on entertaining, cooking for two, and family favorites. I'm not a fan of condensed soups, but I still want quick and easy crockpot recipes. My DH is not a terribly adventurous eater, and he has enjoyed almost everything I've made from these cookbooks. I just bought her Not Your Mother's Microwave Cookbook, and it looks good (and easy), but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet.

As as aside, those of you with bread machines should check out her bread machine cookbook.

My son likes Rachel Ray's Yum-O! Cookbook. We will also go to the library on occassion and check out cookbooks for new ideas. Our library has several child centered ones in the children's department but my sonlikes the huge collection in the adult department. Some of those are actually easier to follow than the books written for children.

Thank you so much. Today I through a bunch of stuff in the crockpot...so we will see what I end up with.

I started looking at books in the library...now I just have to make it there. The ones I want are all at further library locations...so I need to order them...but I think that is a great idea.

Today I used allrecipes.com and that seems pretty easy. Although, it does take a lot of time to sit and find them and make sure you have everything...that is why I was thinking a book would be easier...but I guess I can meal plan one morning prior to shopping and print them out.

I like that Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker book that someone else recommended.

I'd also really strongly recommend The Best 30 Minute Recipe, which is from America's Test Kitchen. I find that the Rachel Ray stuff and the Everyday Food magazines often are fun to look at and I get sort of inspired by the pictures, but the actual recipes are pretty hit or miss. And many of them are a little odd, honestly. After all, they have to constantly their content and come up with "new" ideas.