Menu

Chem 3000 by Thames & Kosmos - Has anyone used this one?

Janice in NJ

Who has used the Thames & Kosmos Chem 3000 kit? I've read that the guide is much stronger than the 2000 kit - more chemistry, less of the "isn't that neat?" banter.

I HAVE terrific "real chemistry" resources but would like something my 13 year-old can use without one-on-one supervision. (I'll be here in the house, but will be working with other kids while he is using this.) I'm looking for something a bit more tame than the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry. :001_smile: However, this guy is WAY past the stage where he is impressed with "chemistry magic tricks" so I'm looking for something with more explanation than the 2000 guide offers.

Input?

THANKS!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

We have Chem 3000, but the explanations are still not the greatest, and altogether I'm underwhelmed. My husband, a chemistry professor, has begun doing experiments from Vicki Cobb's book Chemistry in Action. Not only are these experiments far better simply in terms of what kids are doing; but the explanations are wonderful, the set-up is something a 13-year-old can do on his own. You do have to find things like D batteries, some tubing, pots and pans, and one or two chemicals, but it's worth it for the quality of the work.

If he likes this, Vicki Cobb also wrote a series of books called The Secret Life of ..... variously, school supplies, hardware, etc. They are out of print, but libraries often have them, and I have found them in used bookstores in my area as well as online. They're a good middle-school bridge between the "magic tricks" approach you describe for younger kids, and more math-heavy chemistry in high school.

Colleen,

I did not know that either until I started poking around more....

From the T&K Website:

While it offers the same experiments as CHEM C2000, they are presented at a more advanced level, with more in-depth scientific explanations and theories. Advanced topics such as chemical equations, atomic structures and the periodic table — concepts that are critical to continued study of chemistry — are presented in a clear, tangible way.

More info here:

http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/chem/chem2.html

Ds is attracted to and enjoys working with all the "stuff" in the kit. However, the manual is pathetic. So I was hoping... but I guess my silver bullet is still missing. :001_smile:

I would love to spend the time working through the Ultimate Guide with him... but nope! No time this year. Our face time will probably be spent mostly on physics topics. Unless the books Karen recommended inspire him to play on his own, chem will have to wait until... next summer ... or high school. (Which isn't really a big deal. :001_smile:)

Anyway - how are you doing, Colleen? Long time no chat, eh?

Life is grand on this end. We're rockin! Hope you are too! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Colleen,

I did not know that either until I started poking around more....

From the T&K Website:

While it offers the same experiments as CHEM C2000, they are presented at a more advanced level, with more in-depth scientific explanations and theories. Advanced topics such as chemical equations, atomic structures and the periodic table — concepts that are critical to continued study of chemistry — are presented in a clear, tangible way.

More info here:

http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/chem/chem2.html

Ds is attracted to and enjoys working with all the "stuff" in the kit. However, the manual is pathetic. So I was hoping... but I guess my silver bullet is still missing. :001_smile:

I would love to spend the time working through the Ultimate Guide with him... but nope! No time this year. Our face time will probably be spent mostly on physics topics. Unless the books Karen recommended inspire him to play on his own, chem will have to wait until... next summer ... or high school. (Which isn't really a big deal. :001_smile:)

Anyway - how are you doing, Colleen? Long time no chat, eh?

Life is grand on this end. We're rockin! Hope you are too! :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Hi Janice!

I sort of remember now reading that blurb on the T&K website. What probably put me off of that kit was the price, and the fact that I can't have it sent to Canada. Could have had it sent to my Mom in the States for me to pick up a few weeks ago, but the price...not what I want to spend right now for grade 7.

That Ultimate Guide is SO good!!! Very helpful, esp. with acquiring equipment and chemicals. And safety. And writing reports. etc.. I also put KarenAnne's recommendations on hold at my library. So hopefully I'll get a definite experiment plan going soon for ds12. I think it's going to be the "experiment from the book and our supplies" type of thing, rather than a kit this year. I'll be interested to hear how things go for your 13yo.

Sending you a pm.

If you use Vicki Cobb's Chemically Active, don't be put off by the first few pages, which go through cabbage acid-base indicator and a few other things your child has probably done several times before. After the first chapter it picks up and you get to make a number of really cool mechanisms for doing things like collecting the carbon dioxide from soda, splitting water, scraping out the insides of an old battery, etc.