Menu

DFW peeps... I have a ? about Ft. Worth...

We need a little getaway (all of us, not just dh and I). Our 22nd anniversary is coming up mid Oct. We don't have much to spend, and can't drive too far. We will most likely spend a Sun/Mon night. But maybe the Sat too. Everything is SO expensive that I'm getting discouraged. We'd like to go in mid-Oct. I have checked every possible radius out from the Austin area. DH doesn't want to go to the beach. We just rented a house on the Frio this summer (but it wasn't super relaxing for me, MIL was along and all the cooking and prep was a lot).

So in searching around I found a link to Burelson and then to Rustic Creek Ranch, which is now one of those Jellystone Parks with Yogi Bear. I was wondering if anyone has been there, or to Burleson and can share about it. We'd go for one of the little cottages. It's an RV/cottage place but I am guessing the RVs don't overpower the place? I was thinking maybe Burleson (Old Town) might have enough for that short trip to do, or maybe we could easily go on in to Ft. Worth and at least do the stockyards (I think my son would LOVE to see the longhorns and the cowboys). Is there anything else to do related to cowboys? I see the rodeo is not in town. What else? Maybe the Ft. Worth Zoo? Or the Nature and Science Museum?

I'm so lost. The other idea was San Antonio but we want to save that for just after Thanksgiving for dh's birthday to see it all lit up for Christmas.

:bigear:

I haven't been to Burelson.

In Fort Worth one of our favorite hang outs is the FW Botanical Gardens. It is free and you can bring in your own picnic lunch. If you like the outdoors and like to walk I think this would be a wonderful place to spend an afternoon.

I also love the FW Zoo. We haven't done the stockyards or the FW museums yet, but I have heard good things about both.

Here is the link to the botanical gardens:

http://www.fwbg.org/hours.htm

Happy Anniversary!!

We need a little getaway (all of us, not just dh and I). Our 22nd anniversary is coming up mid Oct. We don't have much to spend, and can't drive too far. We will most likely spend a Sun/Mon night. But maybe the Sat too. Everything is SO expensive that I'm getting discouraged. We'd like to go in mid-Oct. I have checked every possible radius out from the Austin area. DH doesn't want to go to the beach. We just rented a house on the Frio this summer (but it wasn't super relaxing for me, MIL was along and all the cooking and prep was a lot).

So in searching around I found a link to Burelson and then to Rustic Creek Ranch, which is now one of those Jellystone Parks with Yogi Bear. I was wondering if anyone has been there, or to Burleson and can share about it. We'd go for one of the little cottages. It's an RV/cottage place but I am guessing the RVs don't overpower the place? I was thinking maybe Burleson (Old Town) might have enough for that short trip to do, or maybe we could easily go on in to Ft. Worth and at least do the stockyards (I think my son would LOVE to see the longhorns and the cowboys). Is there anything else to do related to cowboys? I see the rodeo is not in town. What else? Maybe the Ft. Worth Zoo? Or the Nature and Science Museum?

I'm so lost. The other idea was San Antonio but we want to save that for just after Thanksgiving for dh's birthday to see it all lit up for Christmas.

:bigear:

I don't know too much about the Burleson area, but we LOVE the zoo and the Fort Worth Science and History Museum--lots of interactive, hands-on stuff for kids of all ages. And it's a really good zoo. We have memberships to both and are definitely getting good use out of them! The Fort Worth Botanic Garden is really nice too.

I don't know of any cowboy stuff other than the stockyards. The Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame is right next to the Science and History Museum, but I haven't been there and I have no idea what it's like or whether or not it's good for kids. The State Fair of Texas will be in Dallas from Sept. 24 - Oct. 17--you might be able to catch the end of it if you're interested.

I'll keep thinking and let you know if I come up with anything else!

Edited by Kirch
Added links

My brother lived in Burleson for a few years and I can't remember anything there that would be an attraction. It's been a few years though. They spent most of their free time in Ft. Worth. I agree with pp about trying to maybe make it for the fair - my mom is flying in to TX just for the fair and I am so jealous.

We went to the Will Rogers Memorial Center to watch the cutting horse competitions (no, they weren't cutting the horses). That was fun for a first time, but that might be a summertime only event. Check www.fortworthgov.org/publicevents/wrmc for listings of events at Will Rogers.

The Peruvian Horses will be there Oct. 8 weekend.

We also went to www.cowtowncoliseum.com

The stockyards historical area was fun. If you like horses and saddles I believe there's a place called Lusky's just across from the historical area, with western wear and a bunch of very ornate saddles and boots for sale.

Billy Bob's, across the street from Lusky's, sometimes has the very famous performing there, from ZZ Top to Clint Black.

Check the schedule for the Botanical Gardens, sometimes they have extra ($) exhibits to view, but otherwise it is free to walk the grounds.

Just know - the fair isn't cheap. But it is fun if you haven't been before, but you can get hugely discounted tickets into the Dallas Museum of Science with fair ticket purchase. It's there on the grounds.

There's TONS to do in FW..the botanical gardens rock, the zoo is awesome, the museums are great. The water gardens are fun and free. You could easily spend your time fully in FW! (I like it better than Dallas..and I've spent my life in Dallas LOL)