Menu

What is going on with the dragonflies?

awtl

I'm just wondering if anyone would happen to know anything about dragonflies? We came home this evening about 6:30/7:00 and there were literally at least a couple hundred flying around and above our house. I have never seen anything quite like it. They were flying from as high as the treetops to as low as a couple of inches above the ground, and they were EVERYWHERE.

These are huge as well. I looked it up online, and found this page, which is kind of interesting. http://dragonflywoman.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/dragonflyswarm/ From what it says, maybe it is a feeding swarm. I didn't get too see what they looked like or how many different species there might have been. I don't really know anything about dragonflies. It's kind of neat.

Lately I've seen lots of them too--and some of them are HUGE! I've seen dragonflies the size of hummingbirds.

We learned today that some dragonflies EAT hummingbirds!! :001_huh:

We've had a lot of them here too, though not quite that many. And lots of mosquitoes, thanks to a good bit of wet weather lately. :glare:

Well, I'm in the midwest, and we're having lots this season too. There was a blip on the news about it, and they were connecting it to the high number of mosquitos since dragonflies eat them. And I must say, I much prefer dragonflies to mosquitos. :)

:iagree:Same here - on all accounts other than the news bit, since I didn't see them on there (about the only place I didn't see them, though ;)).