Menu

Cookers: What are some of your family's favorite scratch meals?

I want to cook. I really do. We just get so tired of what I cook or we have different opinions between what we like. Deciding what to make for supper is so stressful! We want as unprocessed as possible but I've never been a time intensive cook. I'm opened to learning more. Mexican and Italian are some favorites but the all time favorite meal is actually Poppy Seed Chicken, believe it or not.

Please help me with ideas. Please! What does your family love and you enjoy cooking?

Cook some pasta according to package direction. We like bow-tie for this one.

Is a large skillet or dutch oven saute some smoked sausage, onion, celery, sweet pepper in olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped and/or sliced veggies. Generally I put in carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, snow pea pods, just about anything that will cook to a crisp tender stage. When the veggies are done toss with drained pasta. Sprinkle pasta and veggies with salt and pepper and marjoram (basil works well too.) to taste.

Cook some pasta according to package direction. We like bow-tie for this one.

Is a large skillet or dutch oven saute some smoked sausage, onion, celery, sweet pepper in olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped and/or sliced veggies. Generally I put in carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, snow pea pods, just about anything that will cook to a crisp tender stage. When the veggies are done toss with drained pasta. Sprinkle pasta and veggies with salt and pepper and marjoram (basil works well too.) to taste.

For that "chopped and/or sliced veggies" part do you use the frozen veggie mix? Those sound like the exact ingredients of one mix I've seen here and that would shorten time and shorten waste. Does it work well or not?

Thanks!

Thai curry! Once you have the right ingredients it's very quick/easy to make. For red curry I saute onions till tender, add raw sliced pork, and sliced eggplant or peppers depending on what's in the fridge. Then I add about a tsp each of sugar and fish sauce and a tbsp or so of red curry paste (this is where the spice comes from so add more or less depending on how hot you like it). I let that saute for about a min stirring continually, then I add 1 cup coconut milk and let it simmer until the pork is done (about 10 min or so). We serve it over rice. It's about 20 min from start to finish and it tastes great!

Stir fry - now you can buy pre-cut veggies in the refrigerated produce section, you can get cooked grilled chicken strips in the refrigerated meats section (by the deli meats in our store). Toss it in the skillet with some olive oil and saute. Add some soy (about 2 tbs.), about 1 c. of chicken broth, some lemon juice, garlic and ginger - whisk together and simmer with the veggies and meat. Serve with rice.

Corn Chowder (made this tonight...prep really isn't that bad... about 30 min. prep, and 20 minutes to cook). I served it with ham sandwiches.

Chicken Pot-Pie (I cheat... I make a bunch of the "guts" of the pie, and store them in the freezer, pull out one the day before to thaw... so all I have to do is make the crust the "day of" and bake.)

Chicken Chili (same as above)

Beef & Broccoli (same as above)

Chicken Caesar Salad (we freeze chicken tenderloins or breasts in an Italian marinade, thaw & grill), dice, throw over green salad, and any veggies you love, toss with grated Parmesan cheese and croûton and dressing...serve with garlic bread.

Homemade tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches

Stuffed Baked Potatoes (bake the potatoes the night before, and let them cool to room temp). Slice potatoes in half, scoop out the insides, mix in butter, sour cream, cheese and your choice of whatever else -- we use broccoli and chicken as a meal. Serve with green salad.

Sorry, it's late... that's all I have for now :D

Bean Burritos (both pinto and black bean)

Quesadillas

Pinto Beans and Rice (Crock Pot and Rice Cooker)

Rosemary Chicken (Whole chicken, Rosemary, onion, salt and pepper)

Taco Salad

Burgers

Baked Potatoes/Salad

Waffles/French Toast/Anything Breakfast for dinner!

These are just our easiest ones. I have lots of recipes that are slightly (but not too much) more involved.

For that "chopped and/or sliced veggies" part do you use the frozen veggie mix? Those sound like the exact ingredients of one mix I've seen here and that would shorten time and shorten waste. Does it work well or not?

Thanks!

Yeah, I drop frozen right along with the fresh. I've done all frozen and all fresh. What ever you have on hand works great. It always tastes the same no matter the combination.

I think the key to making good homemade meals is to do meal planning once a week. We usually have a some recipes we use over and over, but try to rotate on a two week basis. We have lists of recipes we like (and the cookbooks where they are located). Then we add new recipes. That way you only stress over it once a week. We usually make our weekly shopping list after deciding the recipes. My DH also participates in the cooking/planning, so it doesn't just fall on one of us.

Thank you Pata! We love Thai. Any other Thai favorites in your house? I love panang curry. Can you make that red curry with anything or just pork? What pork do you buy to slice?

Thanks!

**This was my 1,200th post** :)

Curry is super versatile, you can use chicken or shrimp, even fish or tofu if your feeling frisky. Basically you saute your veggies and meat for a few minutes, add in fish sauce, sugar and spices and saute for a min more, then add coconut milk and cook until your ingredients are fully cooked. Then serve over rice.

I usually use pork loin and slice it up, when I use pork. I use peppers and onions with my paenang (also add a few dried lime leaves when cooking). I also love massaman curry with potatoes and onions (I add peas if dh is not eating it). For massaman curry I add a bit of tamarind paste when I add the fish sauce & sugar. Hope that inspires you a bit :).