Menu

High school foundations books?

melmichigan

Has anyone had experience with high school foundations books, such as the Miller Levine Biology? I have been debating this book. I have seen it used for high school, for honors high school, and have even heard it is used in some cases for 4 semesters of college classes, so I am really having some trouble deciding which version to use.

My DD10 has finished the middle school science sequence and is ready for high school material, at the same time she wants to do a lot of science and we are playing around with two sciences this year or a combination of all three disciplines over a few years. We have no real timetable, other than she wants to finish base high school classes so she can take advanced classes during high school.

Back to the book, it covers the same high school material, but is written closer to a middle school level in lexile, so roughly 800-1000 is my understanding. She currently plans on doing an AP class during high school. I don't want to hold her back, but want her to continue to enjoy science. Any thoughts? I have compared these two versions ad nauseum myself.:lol: (I eliminated the Core version and the online version.)

Have you looked at the online samples at the Pearson site?

I have experience using Conceptual Physical Science Explorations (the physics part) with a 12yo who had outgrown middle school science. The book is based on the high school/college level Conceptual Physical Science, but supposedly written on a grade 9/10 level. It was an odd combination of being too easy much of the time and the rest of the time expecting conceptual leaps that were too much for the instruction given.