Menu

What magazines would you recommend for kids?

VBoulden

I am considering purchasing a few magazine subscriptions for my six year old. Getting mail is really fun for a kid :D and she's reading well now, so I was thinking I'd get her some magazines to read once or twice a month... Any recommendations? What do you and your kids like and why?

I love the ones by the publisher of Cricket. There are samples online so you can figure out which level will be just right. They're a little pricey, but worth it.

Highlights is also really good because of it's range of reading levels in each issue, but the downside of highlights is that if you subscribe, you'll be getting phone calls and mailings asking you to subscribe to the various "clubs" they offer-and while those materials are good, those clubs are very expensive.

I was looking at Spider (from the publishers of Cricket) and considering it for my 6 year old... That would be the magazine for her age. But, I was wondering if there were stories with dark, magical, mystical, scary characters (like witches, elves, ghosts, goblins, etc.) or scary stories in those? We avoid things that scare for the sake of "entertainment." She is very sensitive to those traditionally dark elements in stories. What is your experience? Do you notice the stories have "too much" of that kind of thing... or none at all? Thanks for whatever insight you can give. :)

Get Ask. It's also from the publishers of Cricket. I like Spider too. I don't feel like there are scary stories - but I think they do sometimes have stories with magical characters - we're not talking Harry Potter scary stuff here though. If you're really worried, you could get Ladybug instead and let her do the reading herself more often - they have more things in there that are read aloud for younger kids and read alone for early readers.

My kids like Click, but I'd check out samples and see what you think your child would like if you think you'd like one of their magazines (Ladybug, Click, Ask, etc):

http://www.cricketmag.com/kids_home.asp <--contains a description of each and link to affiliated websites

and also

http://www.cricketmag.com/magazinehelp.asp <-- can help you choose if you input age + interests

Also you can change to a different member of their magazine family if you change your mind

My kids love National Geographic Kids! We also get Clubhouse Jr. and Clubhouse as well as National Geographic Little Kids. If I were to suggest one, as long as your dd is a fairly good reader she could probably handle NG Kids as opposed to NG Little Kids. I think I'm going to ask Grandma to switch my 6 y/o's "Little Kids" as it's a little young for him now.

I love the ones by the publisher of Cricket. There are samples online so you can figure out which level will be just right. They're a little pricey, but worth it.

:iagree: My parents give one of mi dc a subscription to Odyssey, a science magazine, and another dc of mine Appleseed. We also get NG Kids and a couple of other magazines from my parents, but the ones from the publisher of Cricket are a lot better in quality and the lack of ads.

My kids had Your Big Backyard at that age, and loved it. It has wonderful photos and and no ads.

Big Backyard and Ranger Rick are both produced by the National Wildlife Federation. BB is for 4-7yos and RR is for 7yo+. For me, the best thing about them is no advertising. We subscribed to Ranger Rick for years. Ds loved the animals stories and would read it cover to cover until he was a teenager. We had a strange subscription (through some school fundraiser) that never told us when it was going to expire, so it lapsed when he was a teenager. Had we gotten expiration notices, we'd probably still be getting the magazine today.