Menu

Anyone ever have kid miss the first week of college dueto injury/illness

Cedarmom

My son is starting college the last week of September. He is commuting from home. Last month he broke/sprained his ankle. It is looking more and more like he may need surgery. We'll know for sure after his MRI /Dr. appt at the end of the week.

So, if he has to have surgery it will be right at the beginning of classes.He is a freshman with a fairly hard load. Is this going to totally derail him? Anyone else done anything similar? My poor son was so excited for school, and now this. Words of encouragement desperately needed!

My nephew managed to fall out of his loft bed and break his jaw the first week of his freshman year, requiring major emergency surgery and the wiring of his jaw shut for several weeks. He was living on campus and only came home for a few days to recuperate before going back. His parents' biggest worry was nutrition as he was on a liquid diet and was none too husky to start with, but he managed. It was not the ideal way to start, very painful, not able to talk, and I'm sure he missed some things with classes, but he had no long-term ill effects. The one advantage he said was that everyone knew him .... "Oh, you're the kid that fell out of bed!" There was a big run on the purchase of bed rails as well :001_smile:!

For your son, I would think it will be helpful that he is able to come home, so that he can get proper rest, meds, nutrition, etc., unless it affects his ability to drive or something. My dd just started college and it sounded like the first week was a lot of intro stuff, so he may not miss too much if he was able to work on some assignments from home. Communication with professors ahead of time would be key. Sorry that it may work out that way, though - I'm sure he would rather just start like everyone else without any complications!

I do not have college age children, but I am a college instructor. We frequently see students with all kinds of medical problems, and usually the professors are happy to give assistance in whatever way necessary, if the students ask for it.

I would recommend that he contact his instructors beforehand and explains the situation. He should ask how he can find information that would be distributed in class, get a schedule of assignments, and what the professor's policy is for any assignments that would be due while he is absent. (Everybody handles that differently; some may drop the lowest assignment, some allow late submissions, some accept scanned and emailed homework, etc.)

Things to find out about: does the prof have lecture notes on the website?

Does the school have a note taking service? (Normally, you'd ask a class mate, but since he is a freshman, he may not know anybody yet.)

Is there an academic support program with free tutoring that he could use if the surgery puts him behind?

Will he be absent for a longer time? Will you be able to drive him to classes? I think if it is just a week, this should not be a problem.

I really think the key to making things work is to be proactive and approach his instructors, making clear that he is a dedicated student determined to do the work - then his profs should be willing to help him.

Good luck and speedy recovery for your son.

Thanks for the encouragement! I know the college has tutuors, I'll have him check into student note takers. It should be at most a week (he might be in class on crutches be he'll be there.

If the surgery happens, I'll have him contact his professors. Fortunately (unfortunately?) he has experience as he had to do this last year in community college class that he missed the first two weeks of due to an injury. I was worried that a bigger University would not be as understanding, but hopefully they will work with him.

. I was worried that a bigger University would not be as understanding, but hopefully they will work with him.

Every university wants to retain students (often devotes entire administrative departments to figure out how to do so) and make sure they succeed. For an instructor, it is a major hassle to have a student who is failing or not doing well; we have to jump through all kinds of hoops - contacting advisors, meeting with student, writing emails etc- if a student is not doing well. So it would actually be in the professor's own best interest to give a motivated student the necessary help to deal with a problem like this :-)

(I'd much rather make sure to work around a student's health issues at the beginning of the semester than having to deal with a student who failed the four week exam)

Of course there are no guarantees... but a friendly request ahead of time goes a looooong way. Good luck

Every university wants to retain students (often devotes entire administrative departments to figure out how to do so) and make sure they succeed. For an instructor, it is a major hassle to have a student who is failing or not doing well; we have to jump through all kinds of hoops - contacting advisors, meeting with student, writing emails etc- if a student is not doing well. So it would actually be in the professor's own best interest to give a motivated student the necessary help to deal with a problem like this :-)

(I'd much rather make sure to work around a student's health issues at the beginning of the semester than having to deal with a student who failed the four week exam)

Of course there are no guarantees... but a friendly request ahead of time goes a looooong way. Good luck

This is a good thing to remember. I think our college will be helpful. Thanks, I'm taking a deep breath and feeling better!