Menu

Apologia Flying Creatures Schedule? Days/Wk you do Science?

Lorriekay

I just got my Flying Creatures Book. I read the schedule section, with suggestions for doing science 2 or 3 days per week, one lesson spread over 2 weeks. The first week for reading and doing the Journal. The second week for doing the experiment and recording the experiment.

However I was wondering what you all are doing exactly?

How many days per week do you *do* science?

How exactly do you implement your apologia lessons. My ds is 7 years old.

Just wondering what different ways you all are using this?

thanks, loretta :D

I do science 5 days a week and we do a lesson in a week in a half or so. I go for more understanding. There is ALOT of info to cram into 2 days a week for a lesson. We do a few headings and the apporpriate notebook pages. Then the next day, we will review the previous day to check for understanding then go on. I do the review in the notebook as an end of lesson check (even though it says not to :blush:) That way I know if they are ready to move on or not

Why does it say not to do the end of lesson review?

Isn't the end of lesson Review made to be reviewed at the end of the lesson LOL.

I agree .. it does seem like a lot to to digest (the reading)

There are lots of science terms and concepts introduced in the reading!

I am VERY excited to see that the level of information in the text is so in depth and challenging.

Wow!

I am leaning toward spreading out the reading. Shorter passages so we can have time to go over the definitions and really understand the science terms.

For retention purposes if we read a smaller amount per day and then discuss it .. I think my DS will retain more.

I don't really want to "do" science everyday though.

Well .. the way you are doing it you are still "ahead" of schedule because you are completing one lesson in a week and a half, instead of two weeks. But it is more manageable because a little bit every day is easier than too much on 2 or 3 days.

:D

Thanks for your input.

Obviously I am going to have to play around with this a little bit and see what works for us.

I am liking the idea of spreading it out over more smaller lesson periods.

Loretta

We are doing it over 4 days a week. I just don't see doing science only two days a week, that just doesn't seem to be enough to me. I break up the schedule they have in the notebook and spread day 1 over two days and then spread day two over two days. Sometimes we have done the experiments on Saturdays when we have more time to really do them and learn from them.

My ds is 10 and doing that much in one day is a lot for him to take in. I can't imagine someone younger trying to cram all that into one day.

Why does it say not to do the end of lesson review?

Isn't the end of lesson Review made to be reviewed at the end of the lesson LOL.

I agree .. it does seem like a lot to to digest (the reading)

There are lots of science terms and concepts introduced in the reading!

I am VERY excited to see that the level of information in the text is so in depth and challenging.

Wow!

I am leaning toward spreading out the reading. Shorter passages so we can have time to go over the definitions and really understand the science terms.

For retention purposes if we read a smaller amount per day and then discuss it .. I think my DS will retain more.

I don't really want to "do" science everyday though.

Well .. the way you are doing it you are still "ahead" of schedule because you are completing one lesson in a week and a half, instead of two weeks. But it is more manageable because a little bit every day is easier than too much on 2 or 3 days.

:D

Thanks for your input.

Obviously I am going to have to play around with this a little bit and see what works for us.

I am liking the idea of spreading it out over more smaller lesson periods.

Loretta

They say to do the review after reading the lesson so that the info is still fresh in their head. It says it helps with retention. Maybe that is true, but it still seems like to much for me to have them do in that short of time!

We do get it done quicker than the schedule says but with MUCH more retention if you ask me! There are some days when we just do notebook activities (like the lapbooklets) That is another good way of review and for the most part it is independant so they can do it and show me when they are done! Its fun. We love it! You will find something that works for you :001_smile:

• 1 month later...

We used Zoology 1 last year, when my oldest was 7. We would read small sections a few days a week. I didn't try to make a formal schedule for it. Some days we'd read one paragraph. Some days we'd read a couple of pages. When we'd run into activities, we'd do them. Now we are in Astronomy and doing things much the same way, except that my dc are able to handle longer sections at a time (they are a year older, plus Astronomy has been easier for them to understand).

It's totally fine to keep things very simple and not tie yourself to a schedule, if that's the way you want to do it. Playing things by ear and just picking good stopping points as we went worked great here.