Menu

Does such a curriculum exist? Maybe you will know.

BatmansWife

OK....what I think I am looking for to include in our first grade is something like FIAR. I used FIAR volumes 1 & 2 years ago when my oldest two were little. We never used it as it truly is intended; we read the stories maybe 2 or 3 times, but never 5. We just would pick and choose the activities that looked fun. We fell in love with many of the books, and I probably never would have even known about those books if we didn't use FIAR.

The latest LLATL thread got me thinking of giving that a try. I like the idea of using those books.......but I don't think we need all the other "stuff". We are probably sticking with McRuffy, which already includes phonics, grammar, etc. I think I'd be setting myself up for way more work by using LLATL *and* McRuffy (I don't want overkill here).

So, is there something that uses nice children's books with questions? Or, should I just choose one of the hundreds of books I already have on the shelf and enjoy reading it and ask some questions (I'm just not very creative.....and I won't know any interesting background info to share about the story like FIAR had)? Or........maybe I should just get FIAR volume 1 again and do what I did years ago? Hmmmmm......that's an idea. :001_smile:

Maybe someone here knows of something else like this that I just haven't heard of yet.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

Are you asking for your little one? If so and you don't want to use FIAR vol1 and 2, why don't you use FIAR vol3 and 4?

Mandy

Yes, I am looking at this for my soon to be 1st grader; my youngest. The reason I was thinking of not using FIAR is because I felt we skipped so much of it. I totally tweaked it....which is fine. But, I thought maybe there was something else out there that didn't have all the extra stuff that I didn't want (I don't want to have to read the same story 5 times that week.....the kids always got tired of it. I don't want to have tons of activities.......too much already goin' on and mamma's worn out! :tongue_smilie:). If I do go back to FIAR though it would be Volume 1.

Five in a Row never really clicked with me, but I really like Story Stretchers.

I hadn't heard of this. Thank you. At first I thought it looked like just what I'd want. Buuuuuutttt........looking at the samples more I see it's full of "stuff" to do (like FIAR). I don't want to do all of that (I know, I sound lazy, but I just feel old and worn out :sleep:).

Have you read Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus? You might find it helpful.

I hadn't heard of this. Thank you so much! This looks like just what I am looking for........good stories to read and some questions to spark conversation or get the little one to think of something she hadn't already thought of with the story. I don't really want activities (at least not much).....so this looks perfect. I'm headin' back to look at this more! :001_tt1:

Yes I thought of Suppose the Wolf were an Octopus, too. Here's a link, with samples. Each level has 50 books listed with one or 2 dozen questions to go with each book.

Thank you for the link. I appreciate you mentioning this book also. I never heard of it before. It looks great! I like that there are other levels too. I'm very excited to know about this! :hurray:

A nice resource is: Homeschoolshare

They are mainly known for their lapbooks but they also have very nice unit studies. All of this grew out of FIAR. They have the units divided up by age. Each unit has a main book that you read and then activities to do with it. A lot of them have lapbooks.

Just another idea.:001_smile:

Thank you for telling me about this. I never heard of this site. These look good. So, it looks like this isn't something you buy.....but you just use if off the site for free? :thumbup:

More suggestions from others are welcome.

Well, I would purchase FAIR again, only because I'm not very creative when it comes to fleshing out all those good books. I wish I hadn't given mine away years ago.

I am currently using Saxon Phonics 1 and LLATL Blue with my 2nd grader. I am using Saxon as my main phonics program and LLATL for all the fun stuff. So, far I've skipped most (not all) of the phonics portion. I like the stories, cut-outs, retelling of the story and ideas that LLATL gives.

Today I was suppose to read the first little reader, but had him read it instead. Then he cut out the characters, colored and pasted them in order. I had him write their names under each character. It was fun :D

Lastly, I like that LLATL has everything planned for me. The activity workbooks has it all there. I don't have to do anything except teach what the manual says ;)

Well, I would purchase FAIR again, only because I'm not very creative when it comes to fleshing out all those good books. I wish I hadn't given mine away years ago.

I am currently using Saxon Phonics 1 and LLATL Blue with my 2nd grader. I am using Saxon as my main phonics program and LLATL for all the fun stuff. So, far I've skipped most (not all) of the phonics portion. I like the stories, cut-outs, retelling of the story and ideas that LLATL gives.

Today I was suppose to read the first little reader, but had him read it instead. Then he cut out the characters, colored and pasted them in order. I had him write their names under each character. It was fun :D

Lastly, I like that LLATL has everything planned for me. The activity workbooks has it all there. I don't have to do anything except teach what the manual says ;)

Weren't you a McRuffy user too?? I could be wrong....I get people mixed up easily, but if so.....you are using LLATL Blue now instead?? The LLATL Blue sounds like fun.....but with already having McRuffy I don't think I want to spend that much on LLATL and just use the story parts of it (if that makes sense....or if you can even do that, I don't know). Hmmm....so much to think about.

Yes, homeschoolshare is free. It is a great resource.:001_smile:

Good to know! Thanks!

Weren't you a McRuffy user too?? I could be wrong....I get people mixed up easily, but if so.....you are using LLATL Blue now instead?? The LLATL Blue sounds like fun.....but with already having McRuffy I don't think I want to spend that much on LLATL and just use the story parts of it (if that makes sense....or if you can even do that, I don't know). Hmmm....so much to think about.

Good to know! Thanks!

Yes, I'm a McRuffy K Phonics, McRuffy Math K and 1, McRuffy K and 2nd grade Science user :D. My first grader is using Saxon and LLATL. I REALLY like McRuffy Phonics but I like how Saxon Phonics or Phonics Road breaks down and takes apart the words. From what I've seen from samples McRuffy doesn't do that. Not saying it's a less than program because it does look good (I'm so tempted to buy McRuffy Phonics & Reading grades 1-4 because it looks so fun:)) and the reviews are great. I just can't get pass the more OG method for spelling :glare:

Yes, I'm a McRuffy K Phonics, McRuffy Math K and 1, McRuffy K and 2nd grade Science user :D. My first grader is using Saxon and LLATL. I REALLY like McRuffy Phonics but I like how Saxon Phonics or Phonics Road breaks down and takes apart the words. From what I've seen from samples McRuffy doesn't do that. Not saying it's a less than program because it does look good (I'm so tempted to buy McRuffy Phonics & Reading grades 1-4 because it looks so fun:)) and the reviews are great. I just can't get pass the more OG method for spelling :glare:

Oh, I see. Even though McRuffy has great samples at their website, it sure is hard to really know what it's like or how they break things down. It's a gamble. So far...it's working really well for us so I want to stick with it (even though I feel I am constantly second-guessing myself because there are soooo many other things available. I am really trying hard to say...'McRuffy is working; it is fine; she loves it; stick with it; quit lookin' around at other stuff'. This might be my new mantra to tell myself every day). :001_smile:

We are using Hewitt Homeschool's Preschool Plus. It uses classic, standard picture books. It gives questions and activities for 36 weeks of four days per week. My 5yo loves the word of the day. :)

This looks nice. I am a little thrown-off by the word "Preschool" in the title. But, the books don't all seem preschool-ish. My dd will be turning 7 next month. But, I think she'd like a lot of those books.

I used First Favorites from Veritas for my younger dd and we LOVED it. Excellent book choices, fun activities that weren't insane (iykwim) and some copywork and review questions. It was a very gentle introduction to written work for her. LOVED it.

Thank you for mentioning this book (I like that there are several in the series). By looking at the samples, I would agree that the activies don't look insane to do; I really like that.....seems simple enough. Do you know what style font or print the handwriting pages are in? I definitely am going to look into getting this book. Thank you again!

:lurk5:

Thanks for the POPcorn. :001_smile:

I really like Peak with Books. I used it with my Ker, but some advanced preschoolers' could do it. It's a book with a large collection of nice books that include questions, crafts, fingerplays, music, etc. Really enjoyable.

I've seen this at the Moving Beyond the Page website. Only they use it for their "preschool" program. Hmmmm.....I will look at the book again though. Thank you for the suggestion.