Menu

When you suspect a trojan/computer virus, what do you do?

So....I opened my laptop this AM and there was some weird screen on, and I tried to exit. Microsoft Essential something or other came up telling me there was a trojan, severe threat, and gave me the option to clean. I clicked clean, but then it said it couldn't but I could click here and it would search online for a tool that could clean it. I clicked ok, check online. It came up with a screen with a ton of software options to downlaod to clean it, and a few were free. I clicked one, it was downloaded, and installed. Then it tried to restart my computer, which I think is standard, but I was afraid to go any farther. I shut it off. NOw what???

I have never had this happen before. Should I start it in safe mode? Should I take it in somewhere? Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! :-)

Sometimes those screens themselves are the virus. I always "x" out of them and check with my own virus program to see if there was a problem with my computer. Every single time there's never been a problem. It's a virus/ad type thing that wants you to buy a "program" to uninstall a virus. By clicking on it, you may have inadvertantly downloaded a virus. Run your own anti-virus program to check.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Unplug from the web asap.

Shut down.

If you have a wireless router, disconnect any wireless devices from the router or they could very well become infected. (This is what happened to us - ended up trashing our desktop PC and having a computer tech professionally re-format our laptop that was attached to the wireless network at the time. There was no indication it was infected for a couple of days. It sat dormant and then kicked-in.)

Re-start offline and run your virus software, but honestly, if it is McAfee or Norton, I'm very sorry. :grouphug: They did nothing to fix this problem.

You may have to take it to a professional. We're pretty computer savvy, but once a trojan took over our machine, it was gone. Kaput. Toast.

Finally, switch to Mac. :D (I'm really not being facetious. Not one problem since we switched. We know they are generally virus-safe, but just in case, we did buy Avast for Mac online...it was nominal for a year.)

Oh, and if you can get online safely, install Avast for free. It is a superior virus software.

Edited by BikeBookBread

Sometimes those screens themselves are the virus. I always "x" out of them and check with my own virus program to see if there was a problem with my computer. Every single time there's never been a problem. It's a virus/ad type thing that wants you to buy a "program" to uninstall a virus. By clicking on it, you may have inadvertantly downloaded a virus. Run your own anti-virus program to check.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

My experience is that the worst virus (and easiest to catch) out there right now? THAT screen IS the virus. The "You've got viruses" screen.

Go to malwarebytes and get that loaded and it will clean it for you. The hard part is getting the thing loaded because this virus does everything it can to prevent you from opening a browser, downloading a program, etc. And one version even runs in safe mode! Aigh!

You are exactly right, and I fell for it! So apparently, I now downloaded a virus. I am still afraid to start it up. I tried safe mode, but it goes into the rogue antivirus program and I am not sure what to do from there. UGH!

Whenever I start to get these, I rerun malware...it helps for now. Periodically I check in with my computer guy to see if there is a different site I should use.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Yep. Never click on something that tells you that you have a virus unless it is the program that you use and even then X it out and then run the scan from your anti-virus program yourself. My hubby is an IT professional. He is very good at what he does and did the same thing once and lost the computer. It was his work computer. After he couldn't recover it, he turned it over to his company and they sent it to their PC experts. Several of them work on it without being able to recover it either. The computer was inoperable and had to be scrapped.

I currently have a hijack virus on my computer although I am not quite sure how I got it. I did not click on any questional links or visitany websites that I didn't know to be safe. I have a seperate post about this but my computer has reached a point where it will not even boot up anymore. I am probably going to lose it and a lot of my data.

e-start offline and run your virus software, but honestly, if it is McAfee or Norton, I'm very sorry. :grouphug: They did nothing to fix this problem.

:iagree: We had Norton on this computer and it didn't even know there was a virus much less prevent it. Athough I don't know that it would have mattered with this particular virus. It seems to have been written to evade ever method of removal including preventing us from reformatting.

If anyone happens to have this problem, I found this page helpful...I was able to finally get into safe mode, then finally got to my desktop to open Internet Explorer and downloaded malwarebytes.org. It is cleaning it up!

Will let you know how it works. I couldnt have done it w/o this page...

http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-antispy-safeguard

Scroll down for all the comments that actually gave me the right info.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

And one more thing. A friend told me they had this happen, he has been talking me through it. They ended up using TRENDMICRO to protect. He had probs with Norton, Symantec and McAfee not catching this stuff. So, trendmicro is supposedly the best, and he said between that and malwarebytes, it cleaned it up

Still optimistic!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

:iagree:

This just happened to me and I clicked off that web page since I did not trust it:glare:. I tried using my anti-virus and this trojan had shut off my anti-virus so that I could not access it:(. It even hijacked my browser so that I could not go to another site of my choice to download another anti-virus program. I shut off the computer. Then, we had to boot up my computer with a flash drive and run another anti-virus program to get rid of this thing. This was all done in safe mode. Thank God I have tech savy family members:)

PS I think I got it from a homeschool blog:(

I'm dealing with this one right now (or at least, a very similar one) for the SECOND time (on our other computer)!!! I'm pretty sure one of the kids clicked on it (clicking the "x" will also activate it - you have to ctrl-alt-delete and then shut it down from there...

I can get malware to run, it finds the infections (5 this time - it was 17 the first time we had this issue!) - but the virus locks up the malware program before I get a chance to quarantine the infected files.

Very frustrated. :glare:

I'm dealing with this one right now (or at least, a very similar one) for the SECOND time (on our other computer)!!! I'm pretty sure one of the kids clicked on it (clicking the "x" will also activate it - you have to ctrl-alt-delete and then shut it down from there...

I can get malware to run, it finds the infections (5 this time - it was 17 the first time we had this issue!) - but the virus locks up the malware program before I get a chance to quarantine the infected files.

Very frustrated. :glare:

Yeah, I clicked X to get out of it, but I see it didn't help me much. Grr...so the virus may lock it up before quarantining? How do you deal with THAT?? Does it help if I am here the moment it finishes scanning? Should I stay glued to the computer??? It is still scanning, and a few minutes ago the computer started making all these weird beeps. Did yours do that? I will pm with my number, if you want to commiserate.

Open in safe mode and do a system restore back a few days or a week to a point when the computer was working properly. Then try running all your virus scans/killers.

I have done this and it worked. The first time I did it, Dell helped me, but they had me restore it back to factory settings...this did make me have to reload a lot of our programs.

The second time, I realized I could just restore it back to a point, where I knew there was not a problem with the computer. So I just restored it to a date a few days before. Both times, restoring took care of the problems...and other than loosing some programs, it was painless!

So....I opened my laptop this AM and there was some weird screen on, and I tried to exit. Microsoft Essential something or other came up telling me there was a trojan, severe threat, and gave me the option to clean. I clicked clean, but then it said it couldn't but I could click here and it would search online for a tool that could clean it. I clicked ok, check online. It came up with a screen with a ton of software options to downlaod to clean it, and a few were free. I clicked one, it was downloaded, and installed. Then it tried to restart my computer, which I think is standard, but I was afraid to go any farther. I shut it off. NOw what???

I have never had this happen before. Should I start it in safe mode? Should I take it in somewhere? Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! :-)

I'm guessing that you had a bad thing on that initial screen. It was likely a pop up or something else from the internet. By clicking on it & downloading stuff, you probably allowed very, very bad things on to your computer.

When you get weird stuff like that NEVER EVER click on it! Just force a shut down, even if you have to push the on/off button with everything up. If you do that, then you usually can manage to shut the popup window and start fresh, no harm done. (I always manually run a full scan just in case.)

Given what's already happened, I would RUN with your computer to a computer guy to have it cleaned. . . Do not turn it on until you've done that b/c allowing it to be 'on' will allow the BAD THING to do its badness. . .

Hugs!

Forgot that I didnt have it plugged in, and battery died, so I had to start the scan again! I ran the quick scan in MalwareBytes this time, it found 7 infected parts, quarantined and successfully removed them. So I think that is good. I am now running the full scan again, which I guess will take another hour or so...I am encouraged that the quick scan was able to remove what it saw. Serious anxiety here!

I had this happen a while back too. I used a restore point from two days earlier then ran my own virus scan and malware bytes after. I changed my passwords, etc. I lecture my hubby and daughter constantly about not clicking on anything like that the pops up because I don't want to have it happen again!

Thank you so much everyone. I have learned a LOT. It looks to me like it is all gone and working again, thanks to you all, and MalwareBytes. I restarted it in safe mode and it seems to be all gone, but I am going to go buy some new antivirus before I do anything, or even turn it back on.

Going to start a new thread...on which virus protection is best!

Be very careful. Mine appeared to be working too, but then send out emails to my contacts! Keep an eye on your sent files and let others know if they get an email from you with no subject, do not open it. I would change all your passwords yesterday as well.

YES. I posted on facebook telling everyone that knew me that I had a virus and they should not open any emails from me.

Thank you so much everyone. I have learned a LOT. It looks to me like it is all gone and working again, thanks to you all, and MalwareBytes. I restarted it in safe mode and it seems to be all gone, but I am going to go buy some new antivirus before I do anything, or even turn it back on.

Going to start a new thread...on which virus protection is best!

Just an FYI, because it's looking like I am going to have to take my desktop in to the shop to get repaired....

The first time I ran malware, it found the 17 or so infected files. I quarantined them (or whatever it's called) and all was well. I uploaded a spybot program as well and it found 2 or 3 things that first time. Virus program (Avast) hasn't found anything since the first Trojan virus it found at the very beginning (it flagged a big, red TROJAN VIRUS warning a mere few seconds before the fake-virus protection thing started. Gee, thanks for the warning!! lol)

Anyway - it was all running fine. Then, I appeared to have the Google Redirect virus. I have zero idea where or how this thing got on the computer. I ran Avast, Maleware, AND the spybot - and nothing. Nada. Zip. Even though I obviously HAVE the google redirect virus!! Plain as day!

Started researching the google redirect virus - - - (not on google... since it's useless to me at the moment...)

and about 3 days later - the same fake-spyware (as that original virus) popped up again.

The malware that worked the first time isn't working now. I sit right by the computer, and the INSTANT it finishes the scan, the window locks up and I cannot click on anything. It says it's found 5 files, but... I can't lock them up!

I also cannot start the computer IN Safe Mode. Only in regular mode.

:glare: so - be careful. Just because it seems to be gone doesn't mean that it really IS gone... (or that you won't get it again!!)

I have never dealt with something like this and thought I had the computer protected. I'd been told to not install Norton or McAffee and had been recommended Avast or AVG. It's soooo frustrating!

Tomorrow I find out if the computer warranty we paid additional $ for will help me out with this issue. I have no idea...

Just an FYI, because it's looking like I am going to have to take my desktop in to the shop to get repaired....

The first time I ran malware, it found the 17 or so infected files. I quarantined them (or whatever it's called) and all was well. I uploaded a spybot program as well and it found 2 or 3 things that first time. Virus program (Avast) hasn't found anything since the first Trojan virus it found at the very beginning (it flagged a big, red TROJAN VIRUS warning a mere few seconds before the fake-virus protection thing started. Gee, thanks for the warning!! lol)

Anyway - it was all running fine. Then, I appeared to have the Google Redirect virus. I have zero idea where or how this thing got on the computer. I ran Avast, Maleware, AND the spybot - and nothing. Nada. Zip. Even though I obviously HAVE the google redirect virus!! Plain as day!

Started researching the google redirect virus - - - (not on google... since it's useless to me at the moment...)

and about 3 days later - the same fake-spyware (as that original virus) popped up again.

The malware that worked the first time isn't working now. I sit right by the computer, and the INSTANT it finishes the scan, the window locks up and I cannot click on anything. It says it's found 5 files, but... I can't lock them up!

I also cannot start the computer IN Safe Mode. Only in regular mode.

:glare: so - be careful. Just because it seems to be gone doesn't mean that it really IS gone... (or that you won't get it again!!)

I have never dealt with something like this and thought I had the computer protected. I'd been told to not install Norton or McAffee and had been recommended Avast or AVG. It's soooo frustrating!

Tomorrow I find out if the computer warranty we paid additional $ for will help me out with this issue. I have no idea...

This is exactly where we are right now. My computer was acting perfectly fine except for the fact that it was redirecting all search or links. That clued me into the fact that I probably had a virus. At first, I ran my Norton which assured me everything was fine. I was able to operate in safe mode but the virus prevented me from even going to the Walmarebytes site. Eventually were able to get there and run the scan and it reported a few mid level threats which we deleted. But it was still redirecting me. Several other things were tried until eventually the computer just shut itself down and now we can't even boot it up to do a restore. It was a very effectively written virus in that they thought of every possible way that someone would try to clean their computer and then specifically wrote the program to prevent the computer from being able to do any of them.

I just made it worse too. I forced it into uploading into SAFE mode - and then read the very last few paragraphs at the bleeping computers site - where it talks about the dangers of doing just that. Now my computer won't start up at all.

I. Give. Up. I've just made it worse. :(

I sure hope the extended computer warranty will help me out with this. But, somehow, I doubt it. :confused1: What a nightmare!! That computer cost a fortune - right now I feel like someone just came into my house and stole it. That's how violating this feels. (And I wish it HAD'VE "just" been stolen - my insurance would cover that!!)

Very unhappy at the moment. :( :glare:

Edited by orangearrow

For those who do system restore, it's not something I'd ever rely on. Many viruses can get around that.

Personally whenever I get a trojan (and it's been ages) I google the name. Chances are others have dealt with it or asked about it in forums and I always find a tool or procedure I can print out and follow.

But the BEST thing I find is simply to keep everything backed up so that I always have the option of simply wiping the hard drive and doing a fresh install. That's pretty much the only way to be really sure.