Menu

Apologia Advanced Physics or Saxon Physics?

We've decided to stick with physics this year instead of doing the chemistry text next semester. What I researched extensively, and still can't decide on, is whether to continue with Apologia (she's using their regular physics text this first semester) and use their Advanced Physics text, or switch to Saxon.

From what I've read, I haven't been able to determine if the two Apologia texts cover all the material on the AP or not. And I think I read that some topics aren't covered in Saxon's. But what I also read is that Saxon does a great job preparing the student for the AP because of its repetition of topics. We use Saxon for math and my dd loves their style and does well. Part of the reason we didn't start with Saxon physics is that she's just started Advanced Math, and it's recommended that they complete the first half of that text before beginning their physics text. Next semester, she'll have finished the first half of that. The other reason is that I wanted her to learn from Apologia to get the concepts. They explain things so beautifully and simply and thought it would give her a good foundation.

So based on her wanting to do the physics AP and SAT II tests this year, what would you suggest as the next text?

Thank you!!!

If your dd already uses & likes Apologia Physics, I would just continue in that. We do both Saxon (Math) and Apologia (Science) and chose the Apologia Physics.

I've heard the Saxon Physics is much more math oriented, but know of friends who used & liked it. My son did like some of the hands-on experiments in Apologia Physics & it sparked an interest in Physics.

Another option is to borrow both sets, and have your dd choose!

Thank you for the input Beth. Did your son take the SAT II or AP or CLEP test in physics? Did the two Apologia texts prepare him well? Did he have other topics to study for the tests?

My dd enjoys the math aspect of physics very much. She's willing to use either one, but wants to use the one that will prepare her best for the tests. She won't have much time left after finishing both texts before the tests and wants to have a minimum of extra topics to cover. Saxon has the continual review, but Apologia will require more work going back over previous lessons - I think.

Thank you Karen!

My dd tends to avoid listening to lectures as she feels she can read the same thing in less time. :tongue_smilie: She's heard from other students that the DIVEs aren't "exciting" but I think they sound great - especially with the labs done on equipment that we don't have. How are the lectures? How much time does it take to watch the DIVE? Does he use it everyday, or just once or twice a week?

Do you think doing the whole text and DIVE is doable in half a year? About how much time does your son spend on the problems in each lesson? I'm assuming it's set up similar to the math texts with 30 problems or so - is that right?

Thank you!!!! :)

I've just been on the DIVE site and gotten this info:

DIVE Physics is the 4th and final college-preparatory, high school science course offered by DIVE. Typically completed in 11th or 12th grade, DIVE Physics is a full-year course teaching concepts found in a typical high school AP physics course, preparing students for the AP Physics exam. Topics include but are not limited to Science and Christianity, Newton’s laws, speed and velocity, torque, impulse/momentum, relativity theory, work, gases and thermodynamics, potential and kinetic energy, electricity and magnetism, circuit theory and Ohm’s law, and reflection and refraction. DIVE Physics contains 100 lectures, one for each lesson in the Saxon Physics textbook.

There are 23 video labs, most of which are taught using the scientific method. Students formulate a hypothesis, perform the experiment, and then use the results to determine whether their hypothesis was correct. The majority of DIVE Physics labs use equipment that is too cost-prohibitive for home use, and therefore a supply list is not currently available for the labs. A printable workbook is included containing all lab activities.

Quarterly exams are an integral part of DIVE Physics, as they promote study habits similar to what a student should expect in college, where exams are given infrequently, yet cover several weeks of material. Students prepare for the quarterly exams by studying their weekly Saxon tests. If they understand the material on the Saxon weekly tests, then the quarterly exams are not difficult. A grade calculator is also provided. Parents simply enter homework, lab, Saxon weekly test and DIVE quarterly exam grades into the calculator, and it automatically calculates the student’s overall grade.

Upon completion of DIVE Physics, students who want to go a step further can use the CLEP Professor course to prepare for the AP Physics “B” Exam (The College Board does not offer a CLEP Physics exam). CLEP Professor is designed to bridge the gap between high school science and college credit. By using DIVE Science, the bridge becomes much shorter, and with a little extra study using CLEP Professor, the student can attempt the AP Physics B exam, saving themselves both time and money on future college coursework. Students using DIVE Physics will also become skilled at working with the scientific method, will be familiar with the use of technology in science, and will develop their lab skills above and beyond most of their peers. Most importantly, students will have a better understanding and appreciation for the rich Christian heritage that exists in science, and will better understand the importance of studying His word and His works as they seek to become good rulers of His creation. CLEP Professor Physics will be available soon.

What confuses me is that it says that the regular DIVE physics prepares for the AP physics exam, but then it mentions that the new CLEP one will prepare for that. I think it's funny that they call it CLEP, but there is no CLEP exam. Maybe there's plans for one in the near future.

I also see that there's a lecture for each lesson plus the lab ones. How much time does this take?

My dd and I watched one of the sample videos on the site, and it looked very good! He explained things very well.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

What confuses me is that it says that the regular DIVE physics prepares for the AP physics exam' date=' but then it mentions that the new CLEP one will prepare for that. I think it's funny that they call it CLEP, but there is no CLEP exam. Maybe there's plans for one in the near future. [/quote']

Yes, that confuses me as well. You could email Dr. Shormann, he usually answers fairly quickly.

I also see that there's a lecture for each lesson plus the lab ones. How much time does this take?

My son devotes approx. 2 hours a day to physics. Each lesson has a lecture, they vary from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. It takes him about 1.5 hours to work through the Saxon lesson. Math is not his forte and he is admittedly slow at it so your daughter may be able to work faster.

Michelle thank you very much for the info on the DIVEs. I was very impressed with the part of the lesson we watched.

Karen thank you for sharing your sons physics schedule. I'm wondering if maybe there is a typo and the new DIVE, which appears not to be available yet, is for preparation for the BC physics AP test. Or is the first one just labeled B and the second one just C? I think sending an e-mail is a good suggestion. I'll post the reply. :)

We've decided to stick with physics this year instead of doing the chemistry text next semester. What I researched extensively' date=' and still can't decide on, is whether to continue with Apologia (she's using their regular physics text this first semester) and use their Advanced Physics text, or switch to Saxon.

From what I've read, I haven't been able to determine if the two Apologia texts cover all the material on the AP or not. And I think I read that some topics aren't covered in Saxon's. But what I also read is that Saxon does a great job preparing the student for the AP because of its repetition of topics. We use Saxon for math and my dd loves their style and does well. Part of the reason we didn't start with Saxon physics is that she's just started Advanced Math, and it's recommended that they complete the first half of that text before beginning their physics text. Next semester, she'll have finished the first half of that. The other reason is that I wanted her to learn from Apologia to get the concepts. They explain things so beautifully and simply and thought it would give her a good foundation.

So based on her wanting to do the physics AP and SAT II tests this year, what would you suggest as the next text?

Thank you!!![/quote']

We have both Apologia texts, and also the Saxon. I prefer the Saxon hands-down (I think they explain things beautifully and simply :)). They're both good programs. Saxon approaches the subject from more of an engineering perspective, though, so that makes them a bit different.

DIVE CD's are really useful, particularly if you don't have time to teach the lessons. The instructor is excellent - clear and concise presentation.

I don't know about the AP tests, but my eldest son was happy with his SAT II scores after using mainly Saxon (though he did dabble in other texts as well, so that might have had an impact).

Thank you Heidi! From what I saw of one of the sample lessons on the DIVE, I agree that he does an excellent job teaching. After just watching a few minutes of that, I reviewed with my dd her work on a chapter in Apologia, before she took the chapter test, and I understood what it was all about. :) It usually takes me a couple of questions to get up to speed. :tongue_smilie:

I received the following reply from Dr. Shormann about the DIVE:

"Hi (Teachin'Mine),

DIVE Physics and the CLEP Professor course both prepare specifically for the B exam, but good students will not have to study much more to prepare for the C exams.

As far as completing DIVE + Saxon Physics in half a year, anything is possible, and it would be my recommendation not to try that, but I would be very happy to find out that my recommendation was incorrect! One thing you could do is just switch to Saxon right now instead of waiting. The Saxon format causes students to retain their knowledge better than Apologia will (because of the continual review), which makes it easier to take comprehensive tests like SAT II's and AP's.

Saxon Physics is designed to prepare students for the AP Physics B exam. You would have to do both the Apologia regular and advanced physics books to get the same content in the Saxon Physics book, but I haven't made a direct comparison of the two to know if Apologia is more or less thorough than Saxon. Saxon's is weakest in its coverage of something called the photoelectric effect and related topics, but students using CLEP Professor Physics will be able to fill that gap."

I received the above reply shortly after sending my e-mail, but I wanted to ask his permission to post it here before doing so.

Just wanted to pass along this information for anyone else who may be interested. We're taking his advice and beginning Saxon and DIVE now so we'll finish in time for the tests.

Does anyone have any experience with the Physics C exam? What did you use for the text or did you just add a few topics to cover what's included. Is it much harder than the B exam?

Both of my kids did the C exam in Physics. It's very different from the B exam! It actually covers fewer topics (just mechanics and E/M, not optics, waves, thermo, nuclear, etc). But it covers those two topics in much greater depth and using calculus techniques. The student would need to be comfortable with differentiation and integration to attempt Physics C. The textbook we used for C was Halliday, Resnick & Krane's Physics.

For a good Physics B text, I'd highly recommend Giancoli's physics text.

~Kathy

• Like 1