Menu

Anyone here ps elementary and then hs middle school?

babygemma

My friend is considering this next year for her ds and wondering where she should start? Her ds is advanced academically and public middle school is not too great in her area and private school is very expensive. She already has a copy of TWTM and is pretty overwhelmed by it. Any suggestions/comments/advice are welcome and appreciated.

My youngest was in private and public schools for K-3. Both my SIL, who had homeschooled her only child from K-12, and a good friend, who had hs'd her 5 children, recommended I start with Sonlight even though they no longer used it. I have never regretted that decision as it allowed for a decompression year. We were able to get our feet wet without too much stress and my son loved it. Their live customer service where real hs moms call you back was a life saver that first year.

Our youngest was in private school from K-4. The school (one of the best that we could afford) was not meeting her needs. We decided in January to homeschool her this year, so I spent all of my free, and not so free, time from January until May reading everything I could. I had lists upon lists comparing curricula.

I knew I wanted secular materials, so that helped narrow the field greatly. I also wanted rigorous, mainly non-workbook-ish (textbook ok) materials, which again helped narrow the field. I began with math and science, then history, then English/language arts.

I homeschooled dd K-2 and ps for 3 and 5th. I am planning on keeping her home for 7-8.

I think she should use the public school test results as a guide to see where the child's strengths and weaknesses lie. She should ask the teachers for help in deciding her child's learning style. Might as well use all she can as a resource!

I think it'd be pretty easy to put together a WTM-based education. Even if she uses a different spine for history and uses a science program other than WTM, the basics of narration, outlining, reading living books, and discussing should get her through. I'd follow the rec's for logic, and add in Latin (even something simple like Latina Christiana).

Good luck to her!

Oh, and BTW, my ds went thru private and public schools and didn't start homeschooling until high school. We used a lot of WTM stuff, but pulled in resources like Omnibus to help us through. It can be done!:D

My oldest went to ps K-5, my youngest K-4. We have a great lower elementary here, but I was not at all impressed with the upper elementary (starts at grade 5). The test scores fall there and so did teacher attitudes, behavior and everything else.

This is our 3rd year of homeschooling and we love it. I am a Christian but prefer secular materials. I don't have to exclude anything on that basis though. My primary concern is that what we do is as good or better than what the ps does. I want them to be academically better off for having homeschooled. We also love the other benefits of hs, like a more flexible schedule and improved family relationships, but these weren't our initial reasons for hs.

I'm not sure what kind of advice your friend needs. I have read WTM a couple of times now. I didn't use it my first year though. I always recommend people starting out read Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks in Homeschool Curriculum. It helps a new homeschooler define what style they want, what learning styles their kids have and what teaching style they are. I think giving all of those things serious thought really helps when you go to pick curriculum. Once you have all that figured out, curriculum choices narrow and are more likely to be a good fit.

My oldest was ps through 5th grade. This is his 6th grade year & our first year to hs. We're being pretty relaxed this year. He has history, science, literature & computer programming at the co-op. We're doing Math Mammoth to remediate & catch up. KISS grammar - because it is free. I have bought Wordsmith Apprentice and Artistic Pursuits. We haven't started those yet. We just added the math and grammar last week. My 6th grader is not accelerated. He's probably just average. Maybe with a little bit of dyslexia.

My son was in ps K-5th, we started homeschooling for the first time in July. We chose secular curriculum to stay on a similar path as ps, and he has just flourished. I went to a homeschooling expo, two workshops led by Ruth Martin, and they were very informative. I also read Cathy Duffy's top 100 picks and that helped me a TON! I read a lot of opinions on this forum, and finally chose curriculum to use and found most of it used on various sites and stores. We are doing wonderfully, much to my amazement! Tell your friend to try Cathy Duffy's books, and I agree with the earlier post of talking to the school the child was in - we did and it truly helped me figure out what type of learner my child is. I hope that helps!

Also, can I suggest that she take a couple deep breaths & not plunge headlong into Latin and diagramming sentences? She needs to take this first year & relax & learn about her kid. Don't freak about having missed the grammar stage history cycle or not knowing any Latin. I like TWTM, but I was very overwhelmed and felt like a failure as a parent after I read it. After I stopped hyperventilating and calmed down, I realized lots of kids, LD, GT & just plain average, survive the PS intact and with something resembling enough of an education that they are accepted into a public university system. Of course, our goal is to provide them with an education that exceeds what they would have gotten at PS. That's not difficult.

My friend is considering this next year for her ds and wondering where she should start? Her ds is advanced academically and public middle school is not too great in her area and private school is very expensive. She already has a copy of TWTM and is pretty overwhelmed by it. Any suggestions/comments/advice are welcome and appreciated.

My oldest was in a traditional classroom through grade 4 and my middle was in a traditional classroom through grade 2.

JMHO- She should start by plugging her guy into the homeschool community. Then, she should spend the first half of the school year letting him decompress and loving him. While the academics are certainly important and are obviously her reason for bringing him home, in order to build a successful, satisfying homeschool experience it is of the utmost importance that she attend to these two things with as much time and diligence as she puts into curriculum.

As far as curriculum, that is really individual. I agree with the pp that suggested SL. While SL may not be exactly right for them, I would suggest that she look at SL, VP, Calvert, and other complete curriculum that you can purchase with a complete schedule. He is accustomed to that type of check box approach to school. This will help both mother and son feel like they have completed what they need to do for the day. (They may wean themselves from the schedule after 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 18 weeks, etc., but they will be able to begin in a secure place.) However, everyone is different and this may make no sense at all in this case.

HTH-

Mandy