Menu

If you have all girls, can you share fave read alouds for K-2?

jewel7123

I read the recent thread about favorite read-alouds for boys, now I thought I would ask about girls since I have a houseful. :001_smile: Mine are ages 5 and 3, so K and PreK right now. I'm looking for chapter book ideas, not picture books. So far we've read My Father's Dragon, Betsy-Tacy, Betsy-Tacy and Tib, Winnie the Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner, The Wisdom of Solomon, Lewis and Clark and Me, and we just started Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. We tried two others but stopped after the first one or two chapters: The Mouse and the Motorcycle and The Uncle Wiggily Book (which I personally hated!)

Any more suggestions for us for either this year, or the next couple of years?

Thanks!

Edited by jewel7123

Our favorites (so far!):

In Grandma's Attic

More Stories from Grandma's Attic

Virginia Havilland (sp?) fairy tale books

Milly-Molly-Mandy

All-of-a-Kind Family

Ramona books

Charlotte's Web

Stuart Little

Trumpet of the Swan

The Light Princess

Peter Pan

Well, I hope I'm qualified to help answer; I don't have just girls, I do have one boy. ;).

When my oldest dd was younger here were some of her favorite books (I realize some of these might be a little too old for you dd's right now....but soon):

Series books (we owned TONS of them):

The Saddle Club

The Boxcar Children

Encyclopedia Brown (this is not just for boys)

Animal Ark (and there are others along that line)

The Littles

(she never got into the Little House books, I don't know why)

Other books she liked:

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (a fav of mine when I was a kid too)

Mandy (by Julie Andrews Edwards)

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles (also by Julie Andrews)

I'm sure there were a lot more. Have fun picking out books for your girls.

Dancing Shoes and Ballet Shoes-- both by Noel Streetfeld (sp?). We actually listened to both on audio from the library.

Peter Pan-- I must confess this was audio as well.

:iagree: The "Shoe" books are lovely (Streatfeild ;))

We also loved, loved, loved the Poppy series by Avi.

FB72BBC6-62E1-F990-24CD-66130D3D1EBE

That's funny, I have 3.75 year old twin daughters and a 5.75 year old daughter! No baby girl, though. ;) We are also in Preschool and K this year, having a great time. AND, we tried to read Uncle Wiggily, but... :tongue_smilie:

Betsy-Tacy was a hit here. Other chapter book read alouds that we have enjoyed this year are:

• Frog and Toad (I know, I know, it's sort of a cross between a picture book and a chapter book, but we LOVE these)
  • Little Bear (same as F & T)
  • Little House in the Big Woods
  • Little House on the Prairie
  • Farmer Boy (repeatedly... )
  • James Herriott's Treasury for Children (I never spell his last name correctly. Anyway, this is a charming collection of true-to-life stories about animals and a country vet. The girls enjoy these tales, although the book is not an actual chapter book, as in having a continuing storyline).

In the works for next year, possibly:

• All of a Kind Family
  • The Borrowers
  • Mary Poppins
  • Peter Pan
  • The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (already popular here on audiobook)
  • Black Beauty
  • The Incredible Journey
  • Misty of Chincoteague (?) undecided

I just asked my 2nd grader/7yo her favorites:

The Magic Schoolbus Books ... LOL she's a science kid (She also loves weather books and watches Storm Stories:confused:)

The Velveteen Rabbit is her all-time favorite

The 21 Balloons

My Father's Dragon

The LIttle Princess

She loves to read the American Girl books on her own.

She's loving Ralph S. Mouse right now

The Ramona books (our library seems to have a ton of these)

I most certainly did. :D

I've always thought it should be right up there at the top of the "Books Everyone Should Read" list and don't know why it isn't.

Would it be too much for a 5 and 3 year old? Several books listed look interesting, but I'm not sure if I should wait a year or two.

I don't necessarily read "girlie" books to my girls but here's what we are currently reading through:

-Bible devotional/stories

-Peak With Books book list

-Sonlight P 3/4 book list

-the 20 books we get from the library (every 2 to 3 weeks -I increased big girl's limit from 15 to 20)

-Magic School Bus books, various science readers, math story books

-whatever the girls pull out from the book basket (I recently bought some new Berenstain Bear books)

And we read chapter books at bedtime...currently Stuart Little and I have Magic School Bus chapter books slated next. We read the 3 Ralph S Mouse books prior to Stuart Little.

My 3yo LOVES the peter rabbit books, the full length, not the shortened board books. They might be too young for your kids but we are also reading the Princess and the Goblin. She asks to read the "princess book" every night. We're going to start Charlotte's web next. I have also read the original Peter Pan to the kids, but more for myself, bc they were too little to appreciate it. Though my Dd would read an economics textbook with me, I think she just likes the cuddle time... :)

My 3yo LOVES the Peter Pabbit books, the full length, not the shortened board books. They might be too young for your kids but we are also reading the Princess and the Goblin. She asks to read the "princess book" every night. We're going to start Charlotte's web next. I have also read the original Peter Pan to the kids, but more for myself, bc they were too little to appreciate it. Though my Dd would read an economics textbook with me, I think she just likes the cuddle time... :)

:iagree:This is probably true. Even if I brought out the phone book, I think my three would all climb on top of me for a read (it's a heavy-duty job to do read aloud around here). They get so excited, every time. "We're having a READ! We're having a READ!"

And I think, we do this every day. Why are you so excited? ;) That's 3.

Isn't it wonderful?

I second (third?) the Peter Rabbit (unabridged) collection, as my girls wanted these again and again and again.... to the point that I finally broke down and bought the book, to save on trips to the library. :D

We also enjoyed Old Mother West Wind, Mother West Wind's Children, and other stories and collections by Thorton Burgess. These are similar to the Peter Rabbit stories by Beatrix Potter.

http://www.thorntonburgess.org/ThorntonBurgessBooks.htm

You can also get some of these on audiobook/CD, and then have even more fun in your read aloud.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/book/the-burgess-animal-book-for-children-by-thornton-w-burgess

http://librivox.org/the-burgess-bird-book-for-children-by-thornton-w-burgess/