Menu

history and science curriculum for 6th grader

Sharon

This is my 3rd yr hsing our 11yods (6th grade) I tried the wtm route for history and science our first 2 years but feel I need something more structured and teacher friendly for myself since hx and science aren't my strongest. Could you please give me your favorite secular recommendations in both these areas for his age group?

Thanks

married to dh 20yrs Sept.16th

17yods-ps-college bound(just switched from 9yrs in private to public for his sr. year)

14yodd-ps-performing arts academy

11yods-lfcprimerc, saxon7/6,building thinking skills, hebrew, fll4, lots of reading (just finished WEsting Game and loved it), writeguide, violin, baseball, lots of hugs

I was using Sonlight and adapting it to remove the religious content. That was great for my two older girls who read a lot and enjoy historical fiction. It was like torture for my youngest who can't stand historical fiction.

Now I'm using Oak Meadow. OM6 and OM7 are parts 1 and 2 of world history and English is integrated into the world history. We're only 3 weeks into it, but it's going much better for my youngest than SL ever did.

I especially like Oak Meadow at the high school level. I started using it for my middle dd last year after being disappointed by SL's high school Cores. I love the way that they manage to make it creative even though they use textbooks and my dd has actually enjoyed the textbooks they've chosen.

This is my 3rd yr hsing our 11yods (6th grade) I tried the wtm route for history and science our first 2 years but feel I need something more structured and teacher friendly for myself since hx and science aren't my strongest. Could you please give me your favorite secular recommendations in both these areas for his age group?

My 6th grader is using Sonlight Science and enjoying it. She pretty much does it independently.

For history:

We tried to use History Odyssey, but found it dull. We are currently using History at our House (see signature), which is outsourced. I have also heard good things about K12 Human Odyssey.

For science:

We used Science Explorer in combination with TOPS and Exploration Education. CPO Science and Singapore Science are secular programs as well.

We are using K12's Human Odyssey Vol. 1 Prehistory Through the Middle Ages in conjunction with the Oxford Press series The World in Ancient Times for additional reading, along with many library resources. K12 has teacher and student resource books that go along with the main text. I have them (found used on Amazon) and utilize only part because some of the activities/worksheets are too schoolish for our purposes this year.

We're using CPO middle school Earth Science and the related Investigations (aka labs) for each chapter. I purchased the textbook, the teacher's edition and the Investigations book all used (though brand new looking!) on Amazon. I've had to eliminate one or two labs and adapt a few to be able to use readily available equipment. I believe the Life Science labs are equally as adaptable and that the Physical Science labs might need the most adaptation of all. You can actually view all the labs online! Go to the website http://www.cpo.com , select the appropriate text book under the educator tab, then on the right side under the "ancillaries" column select "student record sheets" (or something similar).