Menu

Problem with use of school library solved - Odd statement by principal though.

We finally were able to get the principal to (begrudgingly) allow our 14 year old access to the (DoDDs) high school library. Though twice my dh stated that he didn't want our boys treated 'differently' (made by the admin to feel LESS THAN) and twice the principal stated emphatically "BUT YOUR CHILDREN **ARE** DIFFERENT".

He meant it as a negative - though I will try to be a Pollyanna and count all the blessings.

Funny too, I volunteered for the school board and never received a response ...

We finally were able to get the principal to (begrudgingly) allow our 14 year old access to the (DoDDs) high school library. Though twice my dh stated that he didn't want our boys treated 'differently' (made by the admin to feel LESS THAN) and twice the principal stated emphatically "BUT YOUR CHILDREN **ARE** DIFFERENT".

He meant it as a negative - though I will try to be a Pollyanna and count all the blessings.

Funny too, I volunteered for the school board and never received a response ...

I'm glad you worked this out.

I think you should in fact count the blessings of having worked out access to the library. It sounds like you do have the support for courses and library that you were looking for.

From the principal's point of view, I think that more families are looking at DODDS as just not cutting the mustard. If these families choose to disenroll for core classes but retain partial enrollment for "extras" it probably tarnishes the reputation of the school. (I know on our base the reputation of at least some facets NEED some heavy duty tarnishing.)

I would make a point in the future that your children should be treated as courteously as other students and not have extra burdens thrown up in front of them just because they are partial enrollment students. On the other hand, I wouldn't take a negative attitude to heart. From what I've seen here the school admin folks have a negative response toward just about everyone; I've stopped taking it as an affront toward me as a homeschooler.

You can draw a distinction that while they are different as students, they are not different as people and deserve appropriate courtesy and helpfulness.