Menu

Do you ever skip ahead in phonics?

ByGrace3

I know phonics is all about laying a foundation. So, I then think I must do every lesson whether we know it or not. However, I do feel we are dragging our feet A LOT. We are doing Abeka Phonics (K) We have completed 20 lessons so far. For example lesson 21 introduces the /b/, lesson 22 blends the b into a word. Well, dd is reading already, we are up to Bob Book 8 so sounding out "Bat" is not exactly a challenge. I really am ready to forge ahead. I want her to learn new things and enjoy learning. I feel like she is getting bored. She rushes the letter sentences as soon as she sees the cards come out. :tongue_smilie: so would I be wrong to combine lessons 21 and 22? or even skip ahead some? or should I just do what I have been doing, one lesson a day continuing to supplement with explode the code and bob books, which are more on target with where she "is".

thanks!

Guest janainaz

My ds5.5 had a great foundation with reading before we even began TOPGTR. I skipped the entire first part that teaches the letter sounds because he already knew them. But we started with the very first lesson that started to sound out words. I would say do a few lessons a day if she already knows most of it. I don't like skipping over anything that has to do with laying a good foundation. If she's bored, let her do a few lessons, and then give her a more challenging Bob book when she's done. There is nothing wrong with her phonics program being more review until she gets caught up to where she's a bit more challenged. Just my 2 cents.:001_smile:

I give you permission to skip ahead. I'm using Abeka K for phonics as well. My dd already had a good grasp on cvc words, so I skipped up to about lesson 50 or so. There was really no reason I started where I did except that it still gave us a quite few lessons before we got into the word and blend book. We are on lesson 73 now and cruising along at our own pace. I actually pick an choose what activities we do and don't do everything. We are also reading the little readers at our own pace. I guess you could say that I very, very loosely follow the lesson plans. I still believe my dd is getting a great phonics foundation. Keep in mind that the lesson plans were made for a school setting, not one on one.

I would say do a few lessons a day if she already knows most of it. I don't like skipping over anything that has to do with laying a good foundation. If she's bored, let her do a few lessons, and then give her a more challenging Bob book when she's done. There is nothing wrong with her phonics program being more review until she gets caught up to where she's a bit more challenged. Just my 2 cents.:001_smile:

:iagree::iagree: