Menu

Elemental Science not completely secular?

Wheres Toto

I've been planning to get RSO to use along with BFSU but I've been reading the threads on Elemental Science with interest. I've checked out the website and it looks interesting but on the sample for Earth/Space Science she says:

"In writing this curriculum I ran into two problems with the books available for

study. The first is Creation vs. Big Bang theory. I believe that God created the Earth, the

Heavens and everything in it in seven days, but many books teach the Big Bang theory. I

have endeavored to write each of my curriculums to be religiously neutral, but I find that

when it come to earth science and astronomy it is nearly impossible, since your religious

beliefs play into your belief of the origins of the Earth. So beware, depending on your

beliefs, you made need to explain what you believe and why."

So, does the Earth/Space curriculum mention Creation? or does it pretty much avoid the whole question? I'm looking for a secular curriculum and would like one that actually includes Big Bang/Evolution but I'm finding that almost impossible so will probably settle for no mention and supplement on my own.

Thank you.

There is a mention of doing a creation booklet project for week 1 of Astronomy. However the encyclopedias scheduled come from a evolutionary/big bang point of view. Those specific pages are not scheduled in the study, but you could certainly read them with your student. Hope that helps and if you have anymore questions, I'm around!

• 2 weeks later...

I took that comment in the curriculum to mean that because of the nature of an Astronomy study all resources will have some sort of 'origins' point of view whether it's because the encyclopedia chosen is 'big bang/evolution' or because there is a creation project that you could choose to do: that people from either viewpoint need to approach it knowing that something might be in conflict with what they believe so to be prepared to adjust or skip as needed.

Heather

In Earth science so far what I find offensive is in the books (Usborne) - but I explain to my kids so they know the two theories, and to distinguish the true one.

I find that I needed to add parts of a Christian curriculum because God is not mentioned at all.

Yes, Usborne and Kingfisher both come from the evolutionary/big bang perspective. So as inhim explained you will need to be prepared to edit on the fly or explain why you believe different. Although the pages specifically explaining evolution/big band aren't scheduled, the books will say "billions of years ago" or "as things evolved" (going from memory here as the books are packed away!). The only mention of God/Bible is in the suggested Creation booklet mentioned above. Heather in VA explained it well, there are offensive parts in the Earth Science/Astronomy curriculum to both sides of the camp. This is unavoidable since your faith plays a part into how you believe the Earth came into existence. My ultimate goal in writing the grammar stage curriculum was to focus on the science and avoid the religious debates that surround it. Hope that helps, but if it leaves you with more questions, please don't hesitate to email me :).