Menu

What is your favorite MOST effective free online educational game?

HappyGrace

Trying to narrow things down to the tried and true good ones. This would be for a 5th grader and 2nd grader. I want to have a list I can pick from of a few really good ones that they can work on during their "independent" time. Any subject is fine, but it needs to be truly independent, even for 2nd grader. Thanks!

P.S. Timez Attack makes us dizzy!

Edited by HappyGrace

I know what you mean about TimezAttack!

We only do educational games on the internet, so the following are not fluff. My ds and dd favorites are:

DanceMat typing is a progressive typing "course", so once it's been done the kids tend to get a bit bored with it. But all of the other sites my kids could spend all day doing, and never get tired with. Most of the games listed on these sites your kids could do independently, but there are a few that would require the help of an older sibling or parent.

Hope you can find some you like!

I know what you mean about TimezAttack!

We only do educational games on the internet, so the following are not fluff. My ds and dd favorites are:

DanceMat typing is a progressive typing "course", so once it's been done the kids tend to get a bit bored with it. But all of the other sites my kids could spend all day doing, and never get tired with. Most of the games listed on these sites your kids could do independently, but there are a few that would require the help of an older sibling or parent.

Hope you can find some you like!

Thanks for sharing this. I was looking for a typing program for ds7.8. He doesn't like BBC dancing mat typing.

Thanks for sharing this. I was looking for a typing program for ds7.8. He doesn't like BBC dancing mat typing.

It does get pretty boring pretty fast. My son LOVES the games at onlytypinggames.com. They have one where you have to type the correct letter to save the bombs from destroying the city. Just be on the lookout for any rude jokes from onlookers... There is a bomb with the letter F, and someone in our household did make the comment, under their breath, "Look, they're dropping the F bomb." Ha-ha-ha, not funny.:glare:

Axis of Evil is another one where you're saving the city. It does whole words though, and does move at a fairly good clip.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for asking this question, I was researching the same thing this week for the same age kids! This is very helpful. I'm thinking about having a fun educational game time every day for them to take a break from their every day stuff and/or when I need them to keep busy but independent while I take care of the baby or make dinner or something. So this is so helpful! Plus it will help cement things we've already worked on, keep them fresh, etc.