Menu

Phonics Road Level 2...Are you adding extra literature?

Honey Bee

Do you add extra lit or reading while doing the Little House Study?

I use Veritas for Bible and History. My son just read through the Boxcar Children and enjoyed it, which is the first book in the Scholars 2nd grade plans. This happened by coincidence and got me thinking about adding in extra reading.

Anyone adding more reading with success?

How funny, we are doing exactly the same! We have completed week 1 of grade 2 scholars. I have added the VP lit and we have completed the 1st week of the boxcar children along with the lit guide. For me I want to teach ds how to write the answers to the lit questions in complete sentences and get used to more writing. We also do read alouds.

Stephanie

How funny, we are doing exactly the same! We have completed week 1 of grade 2 scholars. I have added the VP lit and we have completed the 1st week of the boxcar children along with the lit guide. For me I want to teach ds how to write the answers to the lit questions in complete sentences and get used to more writing. We also do read alouds.

Stephanie

Isn't VP great! Are you doing Phonics Road also? We are working on complete sentences in History and Bible, I'm kinda worried about keeping that balance between too much and too little and reading just for fun. Are you doing VP History and Bible too?

Yes - we are using VP Scholars grade 2 lit as well. How funny. I do not think one study is sufficient and we definitely wouldn't want to just read one book the whole year.

Heather

Glad to hear there are a few people doing this! The Little House seems pretty simple enough, and I have been planning on using VP literature as a list to read by this year. Are you skipping any of the literature work in Scholars? I mean, I can see using the questions and answers, but what about the worksheets and writing sections? (Especially if you are doing all the writing for VP history and Bible.) I'm printing the lesson plans out right now. They look really good!

Glad to hear there are a few people doing this! The Little House seems pretty simple enough, and I have been planning on using VP literature as a list to read by this year. Are you skipping any of the literature work in Scholars? I mean, I can see using the questions and answers, but what about the worksheets and writing sections? (Especially if you are doing all the writing for VP history and Bible.) I'm printing the lesson plans out right now. They look really good!

I'm doing most everything in the VP literature plans. She's writing the comprehension guide answers and we are discussing the lessons as indicated. She had so much fun last week telling me about when they were alert or decisive etc LOL. For history we are using the self-paced class. She is very visual and it is ideal for her. So she doesn't write history worksheets or writing assignments. She does read the historical literature assigned in the self-paced class.

Heather

I'm doing most everything in the VP literature plans. She's writing the comprehension guide answers and we are discussing the lessons as indicated. She had so much fun last week telling me about when they were alert or decisive etc LOL. For history we are using the self-paced class. She is very visual and it is ideal for her. So she doesn't write history worksheets or writing assignments. She does read the historical literature assigned in the self-paced class.

Heather

That sounds like so much fun! I just signed up for the self-paced trial. We'll just try it out for now, and continue with our Scholars plans this year. I can see how that is working well for your daughter. I may just continue to use it as a reading guide and use the questions in Scholars for discussion. We have been discussing, because I always read his books first, but it has been more open ended. I just can't see making him do the writing in VP Bible, history, and literature, then tacking on PR in second grade.

Thanks, I think this clears it up for me. :001_smile: