Menu

Readers: What do you do for Readers before going to Sonlight 3

JadeOrchidSong

Ds has enjoyed all the Sonlight readers. He finished Readers 2 advanced and we cannot do any Sonlight readers before going to Core 3 because the readers are tied with the American history in Core 3. If you are a SL user and your kids (age 7.8) read the Lord of the Ring series independently, what would you use or have your used before doing Core 3? By the way he almost finished the Narnia series.

We are going to study Core 2 along with SOTW 2 as the spine. so we are looking for medieval period readers and also classics like The Princess and the Goblin.

Please chime in and share you list of books for a boy turning 8 in November and can read at an advanced level.

Thanks,

J

Yeah, we are in this pickle right now. We read all the Core 2 Readers and we are treading water, trying to finish the Core 2 Read-Alouds. I've got the 3rd grader reading through McGuffey Readers and she's also doing a lot of independent reading.

In the mean time, we're going to work through this: http://rainbowresource.com/product/Story+Elements+Grades+3-4/029584/1284380386-1953947. It goes over genre, character, setting, dialogue, plot, theme, etc... I don't know if it's a good one or not, it hasn't arrived yet.

We also plan on going through a poetry book from Rainbow Resource, but I can't find it again. It's poetry about animals or something...for 3-5th grade.

Guest TheBugsMom

Has he read the read-alouds for core 1 and core 2 by himself? My dd is 5 and reading through the SL readers intermediate so I will be in the same boat in another year or 2 and plan on her going through the books I read aloud to her.

If you find books he has read and liked on amazon, they will have a (usually quite long) row of similar books across the page.

I get a lot of great book suggestions (to either buy or check out from the library) from that "Customers who bought this item also bought..." scroll bar thingy.

We are still doing Core 1. I am not looking at books at the level of Lord of the Ring. We have at least a year before we start Cor 3. So a long wait.

Unfortunately, we borrow our Sonlight core books and I returned them as soon as we finish a core, so he can only read books that we just finished reading aloud, which is not very exciting when the story is still fresh in his mind. I did buy Wizard of OZ and Dr. Dolittle sequal so he read those. He is now reading Wind in the Willows, which is a SL read aloud in Core 2 I believe. He also read Detectives in Togas by himself before I start the read aloud. I requested its sequel, Mystery of the Roman Ransom, which he is excited about.

Thanks for the suggestion to look on Amazon for similar books.

I plan to check the VP books. Thank you!

J