Menu

I have to brag on a game I made up for teaching presidents.

mazakaal

My 6yo asked for a game about the presidents - kind of a 20 questions for presidents. Unfortunately, the only ones he knows much about are George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, so I dreaded playing 20 questions and having the answer always be GW or AL, so I came up with a Guess Who style game for all the presidents.

I got drawings of all the presidents from the Guest Hollow site (hope that was okay, Jenn) and typed up a word file with a little table for each pres telling years of presidency, how many years, whether he died in office, served in the military, served as vice-president, was a senator, congressman, governor, which political party he belonged to, whether he served during a war. I printed three copies of each card on three different colors. One set is for choosing your president and each player has one of the other sets laid out in front of him. You take turns asking yes-or-no questions like, "Did he serve in the 20th century?" and, "Did he serve one term?" and turning over cards that don't apply, narrowing down all the presidents until one is remaining.

It's actually worked and the kids like it! I'm so excited.

What book is your son reading to obtain this kind of information about the presidents? To be honest, I don't think I could answer the questions, so we would actually be stuck. I would love to find a book that is age-appropriate for DD5 about our presidents.

The books I have I'm afraid might be hard to find. This one is out print, but it comes with a great book with a bio on each president that would be good for a 5-year old. We also have this one that my son loves, also out of print for some reason. They both include President Obama. Another good resource is whitehouse.gov. I recently picked up a book at Borders on the clearance shelf, but it would better suited for older kids.

ETA: Oh! and C-span classroom has a free presidental time-line poster. We just got ours a couple days and it is fantastic! Huge, but luckily we had the wall space. It's over 6ft long and about 2.5ft tall.

Edited by Tam101

The books I have I'm afraid might be hard to find. This one is out print, but it comes with a great book with a bio on each president that would be good for a 5-year old. We also have this one that my son loves, also out of print for some reason. They both include President Obama. Another good resource is whitehouse.gov. I recently picked up a book at Borders on the clearance shelf, but it would better suited for older kids.

ETA: Oh! and C-span classroom has a free presidental time-line poster. We just got ours a couple days and it is fantastic! Huge, but luckily we had the wall space. It's over 6ft long and about 2.5ft tall.

Thank you for your recommendations. I'm going to get the one with the sound recording. I did request a timeline about 2 months ago and I'm still waiting for it.

What book is your son reading to obtain this kind of information about the presidents? To be honest, I don't think I could answer the questions, so we would actually be stuck. I would love to find a book that is age-appropriate for DD5 about our presidents.

I researched the info from several sources, so all the answers he needs are on the cards.

Could you please give the link to where I would go to request this? A quick search for it on their website turned up nothing. TIA!

Great idea! When my kids were little we used the place mats from Walmart that had Presidents on them. At that time they were 99 cents or so. I tell ya, my boys wore those things out! :D They had each president's picture and all that info. on them and the boys would quiz each other! This was during lunch, all on their own!

So, while those of you wait for things you've ordered or are making, or need info. to put on the cards, you might want to consider looking for placemats from Walmart or someplace similar. Eventually my boys could say all the presidents in order and knew a lot of the info.! So, I think it's GREAT that you made this game....wish I'd have thought of that! :)

Oh, my younger guy was 5 & 6 when they were doing this, and when it came to Rutherford B. Hayes, which is quite a mouthful for a little one, he said Rutherford Behave! :D

Best wishes everyone!

Guest janet986w
My 6yo asked for a game about the presidents - kind of a 20 questions for presidents. Unfortunately, the only ones he knows much about are George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, so I dreaded playing 20 questions and having the answer always be GW or AL, so I came up with a Guess Who style game for all the presidents.

I got drawings of all the presidents from the Guest Hollow site (hope that was okay, Jenn) and typed up a word file with a little table for each pres telling years of presidency, how many years, whether he died in office, served in the military, served as vice-president, was a senator, congressman, governor, which political party he belonged to, whether he served during a war. I printed three copies of each card on three different colors. One set is for choosing your president and each player has one of the other sets laid out in front of him. You take turns asking yes-or-no questions like, "Did he serve in the 20th century?" and, "Did he serve one term?" and turning over cards that don't apply, narrowing down all the presidents until one is remaining.

It's actually worked and the kids like it! I'm so excited.

Thanks you for the post.

:auto::auto::auto::auto:

Okay, I've sent an e-mail to everyone who pmed me their address. If you didn't get the file or if it's messed up somehow, let me know. I think I may try to figure out if I can market the idea somehow thanks to some suggestions from you guys, so I don't think I'll put it on scribd right away. Thanks for the idea, though. Enjoy the game!

Okay, I've sent an e-mail to everyone who pmed me their address. If you didn't get the file or if it's messed up somehow, let me know. I think I may try to figure out if I can market the idea somehow thanks to some suggestions from you guys, so I don't think I'll put it on scribd right away. Thanks for the idea, though. Enjoy the game!

If you want I can turn your doc into a pdf and upload it onto my website server and give everyone a direct link to the pdf. Just if you want. Might make it easier!!

Can I have it? I'll pm you my email. This is so great!

I put the two documents together (presidents onto cards) and scanned the completed cards into the computer and turned the 6 pages into a PDF. I have it in case anyone wants it, it will save you several steps, this way you can just print them out on the three different color card stock and be done!