Menu

If you were to visit Italy for ten days

I would start in Venice for a couple of days. Travel by train - easy,and when I was there, pretty cheap. Next I'd stop at Florence for several days and make a trip to Sienna from there. Then down to Rome for the rest of the time.

Travelling by train is easy and you can see a lot of the countryside. don't really know about where to stay. When we were there we stayed mostly in Youth Hostels but I wasn't travelling with children, but I think some have family rooms. Italy is a fantastic place, one of my favorite places ever.

I lived there for 4 years and love the off the beaten track places. You have to do Rome, but I would save a few days for Naples and Sicily. You can do all of the great spots in Sicily in two days. Take a train from Naples to Sicily and you will see some amazing country side. If you want more info email me.

I've never been to Italy (hopefully going in 2012), but based on my other travels, I'd say the first thing you have to do is really internalize the fact that you won't see everything. You won't even see the Must Sees. You will get back and people will say, "You were in Italy and you didn't see X?!"

Make your peace with that fact, and then think about what kind of vacation you want.

Do you want to be on the go all the time? Do you want to relax? I've never traveled with just two kids (we had twins and so went from 1 to 3 with no stop at 2), so I don't have a good sense of the dynamic. I know we could handle a more aggressive schedule with one child than with three or four.

A good guideline for us is to do no more than two big things a day. At least one of those should be outside or very child-friendly. (Our youngest is only 4, so with a 7 yo you might be able to do more.) For example, we tour the French chateau and then spend a lot of time exploring the grounds and letting the kids attempt to catch the fence lizards that hang out on the stone steps in the gardens.

We like traveling in the off-season, in part because we melt in the heat. We have much more energy in cooler temps. It's also nice to avoid the crowds. The downside is that you do miss out on some cool events that only run during the high season. For us, it's a good trade-off.

For accommodations, we prefer to rent a house or an apartment. We use sites like http://www.vrbo.com. If you speak Italian, you might want to try sites geared to Italians. In France, we found that our rental arranged through a French language-site was much cheaper than our rental arranged through an English-language site. It was also more basic (for example, we were expected to bring our own towels), but if you're looking to save money on accommodations, it may be worth it.

The nice thing about a house is that it gives you all more space to spread out when you return. In a hotel room, our kids have a harder time settling down for a nap or a rest. The houses also often have some kid DVDs or books or a few toys that keep them occupied so the adults can recharge after a day of sightseeing. It's also easier to accommodate adult and kid bedtimes in a house.

Renting a house or apartment means that you'll be in one spot for a week at a time, but if you pick your location carefully, you'll have plenty to do.

Amalfi Coast/Sorrento/Positano (one stop)

Pompeii (one stop..can be same day as the one above, but I would stay at a hotel in Sorrento and venture out from there)

Rome (2 days here...see Vatican/Coliseum/Trevi Fountain/Steps)

Florence (2 days here..get all museums in)

Venice (2 days here)

We really did like seeing Pisa...you can take a train from here..

Cinque de Terre....five towns with no cars, just foot traffic, very cool....

that would be my list...

Tara

I went for 10 days but not with kids. I saw Florence (with a day-trip to Siena), Rome, Perugia, Assissi, and Venice. It was wonderful. I would have liked to see the south too but the places I saw were beautiful, diverse and fascinating. I think children would like them too, especially Venice. Florence has beautiful art and architecture. Rome has Vatican city, and if you studied Ancient Rome you have to see the ruins and the Colosseum. Also, see the Trevi Fountain. I loved the food too. Get good recommendations of where to eat. You will have a good time no matter what!

Honestly, I'd probably spend most of the time in Rome, but that's only me. With a trip to Napoli, and seeing Pompeii while there. :)

:iagree:

In Rome there is something amazing around every single corner. You can rent an apartment instead of staying in a hotel (cheaper) and then live like the locals. The market near the Vatican is amazing and off the tourist path, and the restaurants some blocks off the tourist sites are much more enjoyable. Travel by subway and bus - cheap. Taking some day bus trips lets you see the beautiful countryside.

You can take a couple of days at a farm if you want to leave the city life. We did that. Hiking, horseback riding, traditional cheese making tour, castle tour. Total switch and also how locals really live (sort of).

I agree with making your peace about not seeing everything. But you will love whatever you do see! Have a great time!

I'd stay in Rome, fit in day trips to Hadrian's Villa/Tivoli and Pompeii, and that is it. There is quite enough to do and see based in Rome. If I wanted to, I might flew into or out of Milan to see the Duomo and Last Supper, and use an overnight train to get between Milan and Rome.

Hey - that is what hubby and I did years ago ;-)

We had a bit over two weeks, so also had a few days in Florence. Just ten days, I'd concentrate on one or two cities - fly into and out of difference ones and take the train to get from one to the other.

I might add - concentrating on one or two cities with the time that you have gives you a chance to WANDER the cities and absorb the ambiance. Trying to see too many places means a LOT of time spent traveling and watching the clock to make the next train/bus.

Edited by JFSinIL

When would you go?

What would you absolutely HAVE to see?

What kind of accommodation would you get?

How would you travel?

This would be for a family with an 11-year old and 7-year old girls.

I went to Italy last summer with girls 5, 11, and 16 (I traveled with friends.) We rented apartments, which I HIGHLY recommend. We stayed in Rome 6 nights, Florence 5 nights, and Venice 4 nights.

For 10 days, I would cut 2 nights off Rome for sure. Spend one day at Pompeii- day trip by train from Rome. Pompeii was my dd's favorite day. Hit whatever major sights in Rome appeal to you- you won't see everything.

I also loved Florence and Venice, but next time I go to Italy I will spend time in smaller towns and/or coastal towns, because that's what I generally enjoy more. But my first time in Italy I wanted to hit the highlights. My daughters were pretty sick of crusifixion scenes by the time we left.

Make sure you know what days sites are closed- I never got in the Duomo in Florence because I wasn't paying attention.

ETA- Take time to smell the roses, so to speak. In Florence we took time to visit street markets. In Venice we spent a day on the Lido at the beach, and wandered around the south end of Venice- not so crowded, and there are parks & playgrounds. The girls played with some Italian children.

Check weather for the time of year you're traveling- Venice floods every year.

Edited by PiCO

You will get many different answers!

I say that Sept-Oct is a great time, the weather is usually perfect, not quite as touristy, and therefore a bit more "real" although, tourists are a part of the reality in Italy now.

I vote for The Liguriuan coast... Portovenere (Byron's grotto is there), cinque terre (vernazza specifically), la spezia, viareggio. I would rather spend more time in Siena than Rome, even though Rome is great. The Tuscan mountains are amazing, but I am biased, as my husband is from there.

Florence, I am weird about. Don't know why. It didn't do as much for me as other places, but I don't regret climbing Brunelleschi's dome!

I guess I would say that Rome is obvious.

Number 2 would be Florence.

Pisa is an easy trip from Florence and doesn't require more than 1/2-1 day to get an overview of the sights.

Naples itself is interesting but if you are there for the art/history you probably want to go to the Archeological Museum and then hit Pompeii and Herculaneum. Do be aware that Herculaneum is difficult to reach via public transport and Pompeii can be confusing. If using public transport consult a Rick Steves guide before going-he has pretty good descriptions on how to do both. (If you can't go to Naples I'm told that visiting Ostia just outside Rome is a very similar experience.)

Venice is lovely but very expensive. The most expensive of all the cities I think.

A site not as often visited but lovely is Ravenna. There is a huge number of Roman and Byzantine buildings to see.

I've never really been to the North so can't comment and this list totally ignores many other wonderful places. But 10 days isn't a lot in a country as rich as Italy.

Also-if you travel to any of the major sites be sure to check Rick Steves again-he gives great descriptions for many of the most popular museums on how to purchase tickets in advance. There is a fee for this but lines in Florence can exceed 3 hours for entry at the main museums. Also-if traveling with kids check the museum shop before entry-in Florence I went to the Duomo's book shop 1st and they had 2 great guides, in English, with colored pencils attached for the kids. One on exploring the museums and another one on buildings, art and history of Florence-this one could complete without paying for entry to anything. That kept them engaged for the day.

Don't forget to eat gelato and pizza. Neither is the same in Italy as it is at home!

we took dds, then ages 10 and 11, to italy for two weeks in march. we took a tent and camped. it was amazing. we met italians, not tourists. and it has been the only place where we found great campgrounds IN cities, like florence and venice. we camped 100 metres from the entrance to pompeii. it was, quite simply, amazing.

so we started with florence, then went to venice (did a day side trip to pisa from here), a week in rome, three days at pompeii (one day at herculaneum, one day to climb vesuvius and visit the observatory, one day at pompeii).

have fun!

ann

Naples itself is interesting but if you are there for the art/history you probably want to go to the Archeological Museum and then hit Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Yes! I had forgotten that museum in Naples - we hit it straight from the train, before grabbing a bus to Pompeii - there are a LOT of mosaics and household goods, etc. from Pompeii at the museum.

We just did 10 days there in Rome, Florence, and Venice with a one day tour of Pompeii and a drive by of the Amalfi Coast:) If you can only do one place then I would pick Rome but Florence is great too as well as Venice.

Must sees:

Colosseum

Trajan's Column

St. Peter's and the scavi tour if you can.

Pantheon

Vatican Museum

Sistine Chapel

Florence:

Renaissance Walk

Uffizi Gallery

Vasari Corridor

Accademia

Duomo Museum

Pitti Palace

Bargello Tour

Duomo

Science Museum

Palazzo Vecchio

Venice:

St. Mark's

Doge's Palace

Bridge of Sighs

Prison

Lido Beach

Various Churches

When would you go?

What would you absolutely HAVE to see?

What kind of accommodation would you get?

How would you travel?

This would be for a family with an 11-year old and 7-year old girls.

When we went to Italy this is what we did (we drove down from Germany, so we had a car, but you could use the train). We mostly stayed at or near military facilities.

Other people are mentioning all of the specific sites, so I'm just going to describe our trip in general.

We spent the night in Vicenza, there is a cute little hotel there called The Hotel Mary. It's has air conditioning and what must be one of the world's smallest elevators (which they are extremely proud of). We went to Venice the next day. We were able to do all of the big things in that one day. If you are terribly interested in the outside islands, you might need an additional day.

We next drove Camp Darby, where we spent the night. It's in between Pisa and Livorno. We stopped by the leaning tower first thing in the morning and then went to Florence. We spent 2 days in Florence. You will want to reserve museum tickets before you leave so that you don't have to wait in such long lines. I would not have minded an extra day here.

We next went to Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Tea. We stayed two 1/2 days. I think you could spend your lifetime in Rome and not see *everything* that you want to see.

We drove down to Naples last, we stayed at the Navy lodge there. We used it as our base to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum.

My favorite sites?

Accademia and Uffizi

The Doge's Palace

The Colosseum

The Vatican and its museums

Pompeii

You have a lot of suggestions of what to see, but I didn't see anyone mention when. I'd avoid summer. Europe basically shuts down in August and everyone goes on vacation, so that would be the one month NOT to go. Our favorite time of year to travel was in the fall. It is cooler and much less crowded. (Although, my all time favorite trip to Venice was during Carnevale with all the costumes.) We too drove everywhere while in Europe, but my one trip on the train was easy. Another thing, watch your pockets EVERYWHERE you go. When my mom visited us, she found an extra set of hands in her pockets a couple of times while on the metro in Rome.:tongue_smilie: Have fun! I'm very jealous. We are hoping to move back to Italy in a few years.

Yes! I had forgotten that museum in Naples - we hit it straight from the train, before grabbing a bus to Pompeii - there are a LOT of mosaics and household goods, etc. from Pompeii at the museum.

:iagree: and TONS of Egyptian artifacts... kinda like killing 2 birds with one stone.

Honestly, you will want to spend most of your time in Rome. You could be there for weeks and never see it all (I lived in Italy for 2 years and never saw it all). The Forum is amazing, the Colosseum, the Parthenon, St. Peter's, etc. There's so much to see (and eat).

Definitely spend a day in Pompeii. Do not miss it. Get a guide!! You can pick one up right there at the entrance (they have security type tags on if they are "registered") and they are invaluable. You will not know what you are looking at without a guide, and most of them are really entertaining and funny. They all speak English. Naples is right around the corner and lively, crazy, chaotic Italy at its best (that's where we lived!). However, I would not spend a night there - the crime is bad, and unless you are paying $$$ for an exclusive hotel it's just not worth it. If you want to stay in that area, take the train or bus to Sorrento or the Almalfi Coast. It's gorgeous. Breathtaking. Spring and fall are both lovely there - summer is hot and crowded. If you don't want to stay down there, Rome is a 2hr train ride from Napoli, so it can easily be a day trip.

Rome is miserable in summer.

Florence is lovely, especially if you're interested in art. Staying there is expensive. We always stayed out of the city in agriturismos since we had 2 kids. It's hard to find a hotel room in Italy for 4 and we had better luck with country houses or apartments, but then we had a car. If you're not going to be renting a car and sticking with a train, try searching for an apartment. They can rent for less than a hotel room and give you more space. We did this all over Europe and it's the best advice we ever got!

Have fun!!

You will get many different answers!

I say that Sept-Oct is a great time, the weather is usually perfect, not quite as touristy, and therefore a bit more "real" although, tourists are a part of the reality in Italy now.

I vote for The Liguriuan coast... Portovenere (Byron's grotto is there), cinque terre (vernazza specifically), la spezia, viareggio. I would rather spend more time in Siena than Rome, even though Rome is great. The Tuscan mountains are amazing, but I am biased, as my husband is from there.

Florence, I am weird about. Don't know why. It didn't do as much for me as other places, but I don't regret climbing Brunelleschi's dome!

My son said the same thing about Rome and Siena. He absolutely loved Siena! He liked the sights in Rome but said it wasn't a very friendly place compared with the other towns he visited. Siena was his favorite.

My sister is anti-Florence. The sky opened up and suddenly started *pouring* on us when we were in the middle of the Boboli Gardens, we didn't get ice cream, the traffic lights all went out, we had to eat at McDonald's in the train station because the electricity was out everywhere else. It was the one city where everything didn't work out just so.

We went to Venice, Rome/Vatican, Florence/Pisa, and Naples/Pompeii last year. I'd say Rome is a must. As a family, we like Rome the best, then Venice, then Florence, and finally Naples/Pompeii.

The reason we like Rome the best is obvious, but I think having a fantastic guide also contributes to it. If you are interested in having a guide, pm me and I'll give you his information. I highly recommend this person and his service. He speaks perfect English, knows Rome like the palm of his hand, and save us tons of time by helping us avoid peak hours at the museums. He drives us around and tells us about all the landmarks of Rome and things like that, he also knows where you can find clean bathrooms which are very important in Rome!

Also, visit Rick Steves' website or check out his books/CDs from the library to help you plan your trip. Good luck!