Menu

Great read alouds for dd8 and ds5?

mindygz

I know The Read Aloud Handbook has a great list at the end, but that book is at the library and I want a couple books to grab quickly on Monday when I "dash" into the library. (A mom can dream, right?)

I haven't done a ton of read aloud novels with the kids. DH reads to them almost every night, and I've done some, but reading Inkheart spread out over a years time (I had a baby in the middle of that) kind of burnt me out. Great book, but too many words for reading aloud, I decided. :tongue_smilie:

Anyways, they have a pretty advanced ear for read alouds. They've heard the Chronicles of Narnia a couple times, have done the 3 Alcatraz books, E.B. White's kids books, Rudyard Kipling, and some others I can't think of. They also listen to a lot of books on tape/CD. Ideally, I would have something that has not too long of chapters that is engaging and humorous enough to keep me awake. I tend to get really drowsy reading aloud.

How is that for an impossible order? :D

My children enjoy Aesop, and it's just the right length for me!

This one has nice color pictures and a CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Aesops-Fables-Children-Read-Listen/dp/0486467708/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284419190&sr=8-1

They are currently enjoying the Landmark book about The Wright Brothers. The chapters are fairly short.

One more- Peter and the Starcatchers is excellent!! We're currently listening to it in the van. Short chapters- lots of suspense, humorous, etc. The man reading it has great voices for all the characters. Highly recommend it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Starcatchers-Dave-Barry/dp/078684907X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284420054&sr=1-1