Menu

MFW High School Users

I thought I remembered that several on the board were going to be using MFW for high school this year. I was just wondering how it is going for all of you. Do you all mind to share which year you are using and the likes/dislikes you have?

I am strongly considering this for my dd. I wish there was a convention this fall so I could put my hands on the stuff sooner than next year. She is doing SL Core 100 this year and will be ready to go back to Ancients.

BTW, are any of you using MFW with younger kids? I'll have a ds going into 3rd. He is doing an American history study this year as well (made up by me), so he could go to Ancients, too. We have no prior experience with MFW.

Thanks for any helpful information!

My 9th grader is using MFW AHL. We're only 2 weeks into it right now, but we really like it so far! The hard part was jumping right into writing a 5 paragraph argumentative paper the very first week. It wasn't that long (350 words), so it wasn't too bad. She didn't like the idea of doing it, and couldn't decide what to do it on, etc. However, once she finished, she was very pleased, dh and I were pleased, and if gave her a confidence boost for continuing on and accomplishing things, though they may seem tough right at first! She says that some of the readings are kind of repetitive, so I'm going to be looking into what is assigned and see what's included. We may take out something and add in some of our own stuff.

I am not one that is organized enough to pull a bunch of stuff from here and there and put it all together, along with a daily Lesson Plan ond overview with resources, quizzes, etc. So, one of the reasons I'm excited about this program are the Lesson Plans laid out that , after the first week, the student can easily follow and do! I like that it's fairly rigorous, I like the content of what they will cover by the end of the year....

I've been waiting for a couple of months to get started on it som I'm excited about it! :D I give it a definite thumbs up for the first two weeks! Even dd is really liking it!

Edited by Brindee
fix misspelling

Brindee,

I'm glad to here it's going well. I hope that the 5 paragraph essay won't be difficult for dd. She has been writing a paper every week in SL Core 100. The assignments are mostly coming from the literature selections. She did the Jump In program and was able to take a writing class last year with a retired English teacher. I'm having her do IEW SWI-B this year, too, because she is very reading/writing bent. I think she could end up writing for a career. It's one reason I'm considering MFW. Everything I've read is that it is very strong on writing.

How are the readings repetitive? Is it that you are reading about the same thing in several sources?

I am not good in writing, never really learned, so dd's had spotty practice and education with that, sad to say. So it was more "daunting" to think about doing, and narrowing down the subject and fitting it all to the format I think, than being hard to write. She has a very good vocabulary, and did fine once she got going with it. I'm guessing your dd will do very well with it with her writing background!

Yes, she says she seems to read the same thing in several resources. So far it's going okay though.

Those who have done AHL, have you noticed this? Does it continue? What have you done about it, if anything? Right now I'm not sure that it's a real concern, just curious.

My oldest just finished week 10 of AHL. Loving it! She hasn't mentioned anything much about repetitive readings. I know she said that she likes to read a little in one of the books, then read more in the other.

She's enjoyed the book selection. So it might not be a huge problem? My dd hasn't said much on it.

She's really enjoying reading the Old Testament too. she had a good attitude about doing Levit. Number, Dt in 3 weeks: at least I won't get bogged down in those details and will get through it this time. She did too. and wow...

She learned to use the Bible reading comprehension discussion/thought book (OT challenge, by Judson Poling) as a way to read the questions to know some big things to look for, then read the whole passage.

She was surprised that questions she had about some things in the Bible were the same things mom and dad's Sunday School class was discussing too.

She's enjoying having to be a little more responsible for staying on track.

The writing in the 1st week with argumentative paper. We were worried too. but she picked a topic, and wrote a little each day and followed the instructions in the Lit/Comp supplement. She freaked a little on some weeks that seemed heavy, but then the next week was lighter feel without as much writing. she's definitely gaining more confidence in writing.

She's enjoying reading Bulfinch's Age of Fable.

She's doing all MFW recommendations for science and math and foreign language. That's going well.

She still has time for goofing off, and doing archery and ballet, and enjoys how God is putting various service projects in her path.

It's working great over here.

I've used MFW for years and it keeps working well for me. I also have a 6th grader in MFW's RTR this year. And my youngest floats in and out a bit and works on 3R's and special needs stuff so I'm not ready to fold her into the MFW RTR this year except as a tag along on fun stuff.

dislikes in AHL: haven't found anything really. It really is a good fit in my family. I keep thinking there has to be something in this first 10 weeks, but no.

When we've had a few moments of not getting something, my daughter has either called or emailed MFW's office and asked one of their senior consultants for help and they've helped her on the phone to understand directions on timeline. They were sweet to help her. So, maybe the directions for timeline confused my daughter, but that got solved. so that's not a dislike.

If you order AHL, you can preview it for 30 days or so (check their website). You'd have to pay shipping to return it and all of that. But since there isn't a fall convention, maybe that would help if you don't know anyone in your area using it to look at it???

-crystal

crystal, thanks for sharing about calling them. Being only heading into week 3, we haven't needed that yet, but if we do, I will know she can do that now!

Here's something neat: DD has a friend who is going through a big problem that he can't share the details of yet, but shared with the youth group that it was making him so sad. She IMMEDIATELY thought of something she'd read in her Bible readings this past week, and shared the Bible text with him. It also spurred her on to look for other texts to share with him too! I'm THRILLED with that result of her Bible readings from last week! That's all I could hope for--that when she knows someone's having problems, the first thing she thinks to do is share with them what the Bible says! :)

I got a bit behind, but just finished my part of the OT Challenge book assignment this morning. I'm reading through the Genesis section, and we share on Fridays. I write may answers in a notebook, just as she does hers, then we discuss 1 or more of the questions we answered. Love that time!

I can hardly wait to see what the year holds!

I thought I remembered that several on the board were going to be using MFW for high school this year. I was just wondering how it is going for all of you. Do you all mind to share which year you are using and the likes/dislikes you have?

I am strongly considering this for my dd. I wish there was a convention this fall so I could put my hands on the stuff sooner than next year. She is doing SL Core 100 this year and will be ready to go back to Ancients.

BTW, are any of you using MFW with younger kids? I'll have a ds going into 3rd. He is doing an American history study this year as well (made up by me), so he could go to Ancients, too. We have no prior experience with MFW.

Thanks for any helpful information!

FWIW, we are very new to MFW, too. My 10th grader is doing World History this year (after doing Ancients with me last year), and we are not that far into the year, so everything we're studying about Ancient Rome with MFW is a quick skim-over repeat of what we studied in-depth last year. We're biting our tongues and enjoying super-easy-peasy history days right now, and supplementing with historical fiction. ;)

But...what I have enjoyed is that my high schooler and I both know what is expected. And, I can now concentrate on my 7th grade DS. We switched from a pure WTM-outline approach to more of an IEW approach last year for him, so MFW is set up pretty much the way we were already operating. And, since I've already been through SOTW and my library sources with my older one, I don't have a lot of "learning" to do for my 7th grader - I can just concentrate on the teaching. It's very easy to substitute what I want for English/Writing and Literature and whatever else - no need to feel bound to use whatever MFW recommends.

What I have learned about the MFW Lesson Plan Guide is not to expect it to be my "Teacher's Manual" in the same way as a Sonlight or TOG Guide. MFW tends to use sources that come with their own Teacher or Answer Keys. So, one thing you might could do is look around online at some of the resources they use and see if you can find samples of those resources (like the Notgrass, the Smarr, or the Literature anthology if you're doing World lit, etc.).

I do get somewhat anxious at times because there is no Scope & Sequence of Literary Objectives. But, then I remind myself that I didn't have a Scope & Sequence when I was doing things on my own with WTM/WEM as my guide and it didn't bother me so much then. ;) Well, it did. But I ignored it....

And, a very small thing, I wish there were more concrete guides for grading the discussions. That was kind of my downfall last year - I didn't grade any of the discussions as we went (blush!).

I do think after the Jump-In and IEW Unit 7 and 8 your daughter will do more than fine with the instructions for the 5-paragraph essay (which I assume come from Smarr). If so, his instructions will walk you through a literature analysis essay step-by-step so that it's not a scary process at all. It's really not different than what she will have written before - she will just need to support her statements with facts and quotes from the text.

Best wishes!

Here's something neat: DD has a friend who is going through a big problem that he can't share the details of yet, but shared with the youth group that it was making him so sad. She IMMEDIATELY thought of something she'd read in her Bible readings this past week, and shared the Bible text with him. It also spurred her on to look for other texts to share with him too! I'm THRILLED with that result of her Bible readings from last week! That's all I could hope for--that when she knows someone's having problems, the first thing she thinks to do is share with them what the Bible says! :)

I need another tissue. That is wow. praying for the need in that situation. God knows what's up with the friend...

We've been amazed at how our Sunday sermons are tying in with what we're in doing in AHL even when it didn't seem like it. wow....

I do get somewhat anxious at times because there is no Scope & Sequence of Literary Objectives. But, then I remind myself that I didn't have a Scope & Sequence when I was doing things on my own with WTM/WEM as my guide and it didn't bother me so much then. Well, it did. But I ignored it...

You know... I saw that on the mfw board and at least made sure one of the senior consultants read your post. (I wanted to know the same thing and so I called.....)

I know they saw it, but I don't know what or if anything they have on that to see what other skills will be covered in English years. I know they want to cover various literature stuff. Writing will be "big" and by year 3 enough to go along with CLEP study on the new composition test. But I don't know about the details.

I already think it is more than I did in AP English in 12th grade. :lol:

-crystal

You know... I saw that on the mfw board and at least made sure one of the senior consultants read your post. (I wanted to know the same thing and so I called.....)

Thanks. I'm still not comfortable with the whole "Call MFW and ask them," part of the curriculum. I mean I never called and talked to SWB, tho' admittedly, WTM was a bit cheaper - LOL!

I know they saw it, but I don't know what or if anything they have on that to see what other skills will be covered in English years. I know they want to cover various literature stuff. Writing will be "big" and by year 3 enough to go along with CLEP study on the new composition test. But I don't know about the details.

-crystal

I agree, I think the Smarr pretty much helped me cover the type of Lit essay I learned in AP English with my DS. In fact, I pretty much felt like I had taught myself into a corner and ended up putting him into the Lost Tools of Writing class with Memoria Press this year, because I just didn't know where else to go with his writing.

I suspect there is quite a bit of "analysis" in the British Literature anthology (in MFW World History). But, I've only had time to glance through it. Knowing that I can always fall back on Well-Educated Mind if I need/want to, I haven't been excessively worried about it, you know? We've used WEM for the past 3 years, and questioning the book as we go is really becoming second nature, anyway.

I need another tissue. That is wow. praying for the need in that situation. God knows what's up with the friend...

We've been amazed at how our Sunday sermons are tying in with what we're in doing in AHL even when it didn't seem like it. wow....

Thankyou! I hope and pray it continues this way! If for no other reason, that'd make it worth having this curriculum!

...I know they want to cover various literature stuff. Writing will be "big" and by year 3 enough to go along with CLEP study on the new composition test. But I don't know about the details.

-crystal

You think the writing is done well enough not to have to do a different writing program along with the MFW?

You think the writing is done well enough not to have to do a different writing program along with the MFW?

thinking out loud..... there’s always situations where a student needs more writing than what is in the AHL program. Students who know they want to pursue writing as a career can add more electives for that. Or students who just want to explore a specific writing genre can feed that elective wish. Or students who are struggling with writing basics or never took any grammar will need to supplement to catch up. MFW recommends that if a student hasn’t covered writing skills that is at least equivalent to finishing Writing Strands level 4, then that student should supplement in AHL. And they recommend that if a student hasn’t covered any formal grammar, then the student should consider doing Applicants of Grammar book 1. Those are the times that you “should†supplement on writing in MFW high school (9th grade ish)

For the rest of us (including my oldest), I think the instructions on how to form the essay and the grammar notes to improve the essay, along with strong reading materials, will be plenty. In the weeks we’ve done so far, there have been grammar points specifically to improve writing of essay. My daughter wrote the rough draft on a Monday, and then for 4 days edited the essay based on specific grammar teachings in the composition supplement. The format of learning how to write a quality thesis statement and topic sentences are there. Clinchers, openers, conclusions. All of that is there in the program. Parents are given instructions for how to evaluate the essays. Flexibility for the Notgrass assignments to let them explore other styles for writing.

but, I've been happy with the parent notes to evaluate and improve. In high school weeks that we've done so far, I'm finding that everything I taught all these years in Writing Strands, and a little bit of IEW, and a little bit of some other program that I blanked on the title (Sandy Larsen's program) -- well, now that we're in high school levels, the instruction has been done and it's time to refine and let it shine. So, I don't see a need right now to supplement more for my daughter.

There are plenty of writing assignments in the whole year. There are the argumentative essays, and the Notgrass writings, and daily journaling. There will be times to learn and experiment with poetry forms in middle of the year.

Then from what I’ve heard, WHL has more writing styles covered in the year. I haven't purchased that program yet to know the details.

that's a long answer. That's what happens when my hubby makes the coffee. :lol:

-crystal

Brindee,

I suspect that my having mentioned signing my DS up for a writing class may have you worried. Please don't be.

My DS began writing 5-paragraph essays in 8th grade. Much of what was in the Smarr Ancient Lit package (which we did last year independently of MFW) was review. In addition to Smarr, he did IEW's SWI-C, some of their advanced writing classes, and some of the Rhetoric recommendations in WTM. He wrote argumentative papers every week or two in history. He writes easily, and has a strong voice. I have just taught him everything that I know.

But I don't know the progym, and right now I don't have the time to learn. This class will give that to him. It's really a Rhetoric class. (It will be it's own credit, as it will take about 45-50 minutes of work daily.) For now we are still planning to do the writing assignments in the World History as given.

HTH

Hi. Just want to jump in a little late.

We have used MfW for a few years now. It really has been a blessing. I'm reading all of these posts and I get so excited about it.

My dd did AHL last year and loved it! We were amazed at what she learned and how well it was laid out. The map work was detailed and took time, but it seemed to stick by having to do it. The timeline seemed unnecessary at first, but by having to figure it out, was invaluable as well. She has a wonderful grasp of when history happened in conjunction with other history. :)

We loved the Bible portion. There were so many times throughout the year that she had opportunities to apply what she was learning. She was learning to make the connection all by herself between the Bible, history, the world and her own life. It was really beautiful to witness her heart soften by something she was learning. To see the light go on in her eyes about something. To see her want to be responsible for her learning throughout the day. To have her come to me often throughout the year telling me how she loves MFW.

We have no dislikes, however, if we had not had any prior experience with writing, we would have needed to use a more detailed instruction guide. I never learned how to really write, so I needed to learn as well. We had used IEW for two years and she was in a co-op with a really good writing teacher for 8th grade. So, AHL was mainly review for the essays, but there was also other kinds of writing that she enjoyed. If you will be using MFW for younger years, that may be enough instruction for you. I know they give great advice for someone needed guidance in that area.

My ds is now in week 5 of AHL and he likes it as well. He always enjoyed the other MFW years, so I am hoping to see what this year will be like for him.

My dd is now in week 5 of WHL and she is loving it!

HTH,

Nicole