Menu

Husband traveling to India, any advice?

What ever he does, tell him not to drink a mango lassi with ice!!

Possibly, one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

And it's okay if he poops his pants. Many of the people (fellow travelers) that I met had pooping their pants stories. :lol: :001_huh:

It's been a long time since I was there. I can just imagine how much it's changed.

But.. my overall advice is to ride trains, drink lots of chai, go with the flow, let yourself believe it's really as wonderful and magical as you want it to be, even if things around you are freaking you out, and enjoy good conversation.

I stayed for a few months, my favorite memories are things like coming through a looong quite drive in the country, and the bus slowly filling up with the smell of spices the closer and closer we got to a village. The main little road was blankets with mounds of spices all lined up in a row.

I also loved hanging out of the train doors, while people were doing the same thing and singing. That was like a musical (movies) lovers dream come true!

Sorry I don't have any practical advice, I've long forgotten all of the horrible stuff, and the good memories get better every year. :D

I loved India, but it can get a little crazy. Hopefully you'll get some good tips.

Why can't you drink a mango lassi with ice?

Many times ice is made with regular tap water, which is full of bacteria her husband's tummy probably isn't used to.

Here's a little list of water safety.

http://www.bharatonline.com/travel-tips/drinking-water.html

Even when your careful, you get sick. I've adopted the cry/laugh hysterically hug the toilet/trash can while friends/family make jokes about it in the other room system.

You have to keep your sense of humor when you're sick and don't have a "western toilet". That can be rough..

OP, tuck some medicine in your hubby's bag. If he needs it, he'll be so grateful to not have to go out and find it himself (especially if he's traveling alone).

What ever he does, tell him not to drink a mango lassi with ice!!
It would be best, if he's getting fruit drinks from a vendor, to go with a fruit that is peeled (in addition to no ice). I did great our first trip to India, until I had a drink made from blended grapes and promptly became host to some new, um, "friends". Mango is fine (no ice), or orange juice.

When we go now with kids we usually take a couple cases of drinking water; obviously you can get bottled water there, but be careful that it is still in it's original seal when you buy it.

Carry a roll of toilet paper everywhere you go. Smash one flat and put it in his briefcase or laptop bag.

:iagree:

I came back to type this same tip. Even if it's some packets of portable tissues.

There are times when it's just you, and a mysterious towel in the restroom.

what part of india is he going to and will he have indian colleagues? dh and several of his colleagues spent the last three years commuting to bangalore many times a year, and it has been an amazing experience. pm me if you'd like... i don't think there is much to worry about though...

Thank you so much for the wonderful replies, hints and encouragments. Would never have thought of bringing his own toilet paper. Yes, he is traveling for business, however; will have weekends and other downtime to enjoy the experience. He is taking anti-malarial drugs ahead of time as well as packing emergency antibiotics. I even thought of sending our camping water filter with him?

The anti-American sentiment is concerning.

Any additional insights are greatly appreciated!

I ditto "don't drink anything with ice in it" advice....ask me how I know.....Montezuma's revenge from a trip to Jamaica....one z-up from a bottle poured over a glass with ice in it.....SICK, SICK, SICK!!!!!

Always, always, always carry toilet paper and when the food says "spicy" or if it is described as even mildly hot, this means that you unsuspecting American unused to things like pima peppers and the like, will have the roof ripped off the top of your mouth if you eat it! So, ask lots of questions and eat the blander foods.

Take pictures of the countryside and buildings but don't take pictures of people without their permission. India represents a very diverse religious culture and some groups may have religious beliefs against picture taking or would be quite offended to have their pic taken without permission. This is more of a problem in the non-touristy areas.

Faith

I thought of another one. :)

He might want to bring a box of protein bars, or some other kind of cereal bar. Or some packets of beef jerky, (if he eats that).

I found it a little overwhelming to eat so much Indian food, day in and day out. There's plenty of "other" types of food available, but sometimes those little Trader Joe snacks can get you through a rough spot. ;)

Even the chips are masala flavored.