Menu

needed: a sausage gravy recipe...

Here's what I do:

~Brown 1 lb. sausage over medium heat, then drain off the grease.

~While sausage is browning, mix together in a measuring cup or small bowl: 2 cups of water (sometimes I use 1 cup of water + 1 cup of milk instead) + 2 tablespoons of plain flour + salt & pepper to taste.

~Pour flour & water/milk mixture into browned sausage. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until sufficiently thickened. You can make slight adjustments to the amounts of flour & water/milk if you want your gravy thicker or thinner.

Increase quantities of sausage, flour and water/milk (and also salt & pepper) proportionally: for each pound of sausage, use 2 cups of water/milk + 2 tablespoons of flour. IOW:

2 lbs. sausage + 4 cups of water/milk + 4 tablespoons flour

3 lbs. sausage + 6 cups of water/milk + 6 tablespoons flour

4 lbs. sausage + 8 cups of water/milk + 8 tablespoons flour, etc.

Edited by ereks mom

This is my ol' faithful. HTH!

Ingredients

Pork Sausage

stick of butter

3/4 cup (ish) flour

1 t salt

1 t pepper

4 cups milk

Brown the sausage. When done, remove the sausage but leave the grease. Add the stick of butter. When melted, whisk in the flour, salt, & pepper until smooth to make the roux. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned. (Be careful not too overcook.)

Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue stirring until thickened. Don't stop whisking!! In my experience, it gets thick fast, and you may need more or less milk, so keep an eye on it until it's the consistency you want. Add the sausage back in, and you're done!

I brown 1 pound of sausage in the pan, pour off extra grease, but not all of it!

Then I sprinkle the sausage with flour, liberally, ( 1/4 cup at least) and brown it for a few minutes. You can add some butter at this point, but I usually don't. Just add in several cups of milk and cook and stir until it thickens.

mine is brown sausage in a large pan, drain. While it is browning put 1 1/2 cup of milk in a container with a lid, add 5 TBS flour, a dash of salt, and pepper. Shake well. Then pour in sausage pan mix well. Add 1 1/2 more cups of milk to the pan, simmer till the desired thickness.

You just use the rule of for doubling or making what you want. For every 3 cups of milk you add 5 or so flour and apx 1 lb sausage. It is super simple as long as you shake the flour and milk before putting in pan! This helps with the clumps. You can make it with or without the sausage it is up to you.

My family loves it. I love that it doesn't require butter or lots of fats.

Ingredients

Pork Sausage

stick of butter

3/4 cup (ish) flour

1 t salt

1 t pepper

4 cups milk

Brown the sausage. When done, remove the sausage but leave the grease. Add the stick of butter. When melted, whisk in the flour, salt, & pepper until smooth to make the roux. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned. (Be careful not too overcook.)

Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue stirring until thickened. Don't stop whisking!! In my experience, it gets thick fast, and you may need more or less milk, so keep an eye on it until it's the consistency you want. Add the sausage back in, and you're done!

This is my recipe, too.

Dh always made it for us, but he never used the roux (he added the flour to the milk.) I made it when he was out of town, using the roux, and dc begged me to teach him how to make it this way. :D

Brown a quantity of sausage in a large skillet. When it's done cooking you can drain a bit of the grease if necessary. You don't need the cooked meat to be swimming in grease, but you don't want it to be dry either. Next, sprinkle flour over the meat and stir until the oil from the meat absorbs the flour. Do this until there is no oil left. Now, slowly stir in 2 c. of milk per pound of sausage (or 1 c. of milk and 1 c. of water or broth). Continue stirring over medium heat until gravy is thickened, then season liberally with salt and black pepper.

You can do a healthier version by draining and rinsing the sausage and thickening the cold milk with cornstarch before adding it to the pan.

Ingredients

Pork Sausage

stick of butter

3/4 cup (ish) flour

1 t salt

1 t pepper

4 cups milk

This is pretty much what I do (with no actual recipe or measuring :tongue_smilie:). Ree has instructions with pics on her blog.