Menu

What counts as a lab for high school science?

I've been wondering the same thing. A friend told me it was a certain percentage of the class spent in labs, but I can't find anything to back that up. We're planning to do all the labs in BJU Bio except for two, which we will watch on DIVE, and that seems like plenty... but I'd like to know the minimum in case that gets to be too much.

I never worry about time, but content & work done. For Chem did one lab per week, and for Biology she's doing every lab in the book. I'm calling the classes Chemistry with lab for now & will worry about the credits later. Dd wants to go to ps next year, so I'm going to do credits the way they do so that she'll meet their graduation requirements. That can always be changed later if I send in transcripts directly to the university/colleges for her first 2 years of high school.

Last year when dd was sick I was told by our umbrella school that she needed to do "some labs". When pressed to give a certain number I was told, "In classrooms the number of labs varies so much that I really can't give you a number.

Also, a different umbrella school representative spoke at a small local homeschool meeting a little over a year ago. She said that in many schools today the labs are the teacher demonstrating while the students watch. In other schools there are so many students assigned to one frog in a disection that really only one or two actually dissect while others watch.

In the dark ages, when I was in high school, I remember 3 or 4 labs per semester. Dh remembers his entire high school chemistry being lab work.

I am not trying to discourage doing all the labs in a book. Rather my point is to remember the vast variety of differences in all types of classrooms and schools.

Oh, and my dd now in college.... her transcript was NEVER questioned.... admissions saw "Biology" and assumed that labs were done.