Menu

My walls need something...

mom24boys

Need some help getting the creative juices flowing!

Here's a pic of our playroom...the school room side of it. (I tidied up just for y'all!) We school all over our house, but I try to keep the supplies in this area, and this is where any writing occurs. The problem is that I don't know what to put on top of the IKEA Trofast bins (that are filled with toys)? :confused:

A couple things I've thought of are: a map (but we have a globe already), shelving (who couldn't use more shelving), or a whiteboard &/or corkboard (we normally use little whiteboards at the table). A mural? Some of those colorful public school posters?

Any creative ideas? :bigear: I really want to make the room fun for my 4 boys and I think that wall will make the fun-ness of the room. Maybe I need a fun light fixture over the table as well?

NOTE: I think I am going to repaint the whole room in a lite green. (There is a green stripe in the valance that I would match.) Something cheery. We received these colors when we moved in the house.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

post-17565-13535083886031_thumb.jpg

post-17565-13535083886031_thumb.jpg

IMO, that wall is screaming for a mural of a tree in gold paint. The beauty is, you could make it a family tree, complete with small picture frame of family members. You and the kids could research as far back as you can by interviewing grandparents, etc. It could be done beautifully, I think. :D

Beautiful room!

I would not do a whiteboard unless you're going to move the bins; I think it would be too uncomfortable to reach over them while teaching, and little ones would be way too tempted to climb up on them to reach the whiteboard.

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

- A string or wire stretched across the space, to which you could clip artwork & schoolwork to show it off. My kids loved this when they were little - always an honor to have their work clipped to the wall. And I loved that it held lots and lots of papers and did minimal wall damage. A bit of clothesline & a few colorful clothespins and you're good to go. I think someone posted here that IKEA sells a wire contraption that serves the same purpose, if you'd rather go that route.

- If you want something more "playroom" and less "school room" you could mount boardgames on the wall. Goodwill (or similar) is your friend for this. For very little $, you can pick up old games and just toss everything but the playing boards. They're colorful, nostalgic, and take up lots of wall space.

- It's a little high, maybe, but rain gutter bookshelves (or, again, the IKEA version) are one of my favorites for big walls like this.

- You could center a vinyl wall quote on the wall - something that has special meaning for your family or your homeschool - and surround it with favorite framed pictures of your children, or their artwork, or both.

I hope you'll post again and show us what you decide. I love looking at people's school room pictures :).

SBP

Oo, what a cool wall!

You can print out maps that are really huge--we have one of Africa that is 8 pieces of paper by 8 pieces of paper. You can do them smaller, too. We intended to study Africa each Friday, but only got a few countries filled in on ours (it's on my blog under 2009).

I love the idea of more than one thing hanging there. A corner for your Artist of The Month, with space to hang your kids' interpretation of that art, maybe?

Certainly a calendar. Love the family tree idea, but I'd make it smaller. Words of Wisdom would be nice across the top.

Looks like a fun room.

I think it would be a great place to showcase the children's pictures and schoolwork. I would get some of those really narrow shelves that are made to stand picture frames on, I think they are called gallery shelves. Then get some inexpensive frames, or even better I would get different old frames from yardsales or a thrift store and spray them all the same color, black or heirloom white. Then you could change them out whenever the kids make new masterpieces!

Have fun, your room is beautiful! The red is so cheery for a boy's schoolroom.

I love the idea of a tree painted on there.

Love the colors, I don't know that I'd change it. Says the woman who lives in a grey and white house..lol.

The gallery shelves are a great idea.

If you are set on doing some painting, what about some painted squares of various sizes that could house art work, charts as needed. Or when left empty, a simple work of art themselves.

I love your room and I love the colors. I think they work great together! I can picture a big solar system on that wall with a dark navy or black background and dramatic planets if you think your kids will like this. I think it would look nice mounted on canvas somehow so it sticks out of the wall a bit and has more of a dramatic effect, rather than just a poster.

Thanks for the replies! This is fun!

I wanted to post a pic of the other half of the room, but I just went in there and it's a wreck! :tongue_smilie: It's more our sitting area, with a couch, for reading and stuff. There is a wall on the other side of the room that would be perfect for a map mural. There might even be another location that would be a good fit for the family tree (over a mahogany bookcase).

I was going to paint the room green because that red faux wall is hard to maintain. There are holes that I can't patch because I can't match the paint. So should I leave it as is (and try to hide the holes) or paint it green?

So many great ideas! I'm lovin this. It's going to be so hard to choose. More suggestions welcomed! :bigear: