Menu

Cabbage?

I have far too many enormous (and I mean REALLY enormous!) cabbages. What, besides coleslaw and cabbage borscht, can I make?

I would greatly appreciate any recipes that use cabbage, especially cooked. I'm really at a loss here. :confused:

Cabbage Rolls. I haven't tried them myself but may be making up a bunch soon. I also hear they freeze well.

Our favorite soup consists of chopped or shredded cabbage, a link of polish sausage sliced, chopped carrots, chunks of potatoes, and water to cover. I do add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Cook until veggies are soft. Tastes even better the next day. I cook it on the stove and in the crock pot. I like it best with cornbread but dh prefers it best with hard rolls or french bread. I have also been known to freeze leftovers. This recipe came from my reat aunt who died in 1993 at the age of 90. She just called it '5 in a Pot'.

I use cabbage as the main vegetable in stir-fry. I put in garlic, minced, peeled ginger, soy sauce, and other veg, lots of onions, too. Serve over brown rice.

If you like, you can add chicken to it. I marinate the chicken all day in soy sauce, garlic, and minced, peeled ginger. I cook the chicken first, take it out, stir fry the veg, put the chicken back in.

Cabbage Rolls. I haven't tried them myself but may be making up a bunch soon. I also hear they freeze well.

Our favorite soup consists of chopped or shredded cabbage, a link of polish sausage sliced, chopped carrots, chunks of potatoes, and water to cover. I do add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Cook until veggies are soft. Tastes even better the next day. I cook it on the stove and in the crock pot. I like it best with cornbread but dh prefers it best with hard rolls or french bread. I have also been known to freeze leftovers. This recipe came from my reat aunt who died in 1993 at the age of 90. She just called it '5 in a Pot'.

I'm liking that soup recipe. Thanks!:001_smile:

Do you have Company's Coming Casseroles? (Despite her overuse of cream of.. soups? ;) ) She has a great Creamed Cabbage Bake recipe. Paraphrased:

1 med. cabbage, chopped

1/2 c. onion, chopped

3 Tbsp. butter

3 Tbsp. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

2 c. milk

Grated cheddar cheese

Chop and cook cabbage and onion together until tender crisp. Drain and put into casserole.

Make your cream sauce. Pour over veggies. Sprinkled with grated cheese. Bake uncovered at 350F for 20-30 minutes until bubbly.

...but my family cannot seem to get enough right now of just plain old sauteed cabbage. I shred it finely, add some fresh garlic and olive oil, and a tiny bit of water. We saute it until the water's gone, and cook it for a minute more until it just begins to caramelize. Yum!

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing this idea!

This recipe is raw, but my kids love it. Basically you shred the cabage extremely thin. Then you put lots of salt on it, mix it and leave it for about 30 minutes. Then you squeeze it in your hands so the juices of the cabbage come out (leave the juice in the bowl with the cabbage). Add a bit of olive oil and lemon juice ( black pepper is optional but I love it). That's it. You've got to try it; it's a beautiful bright green color too.

I make a cream of cabbage soup recipe from one of the Moosewood cookbooks that is creamed by adding mashed potatoes. Uses up another ubiquitous fall veggie. Cabbage salads of all kinds: cole slaw, my great grandma's, which is shredded cabbage and green pepper with vinegar\sugar dressing, stir fries, sauteed with butter, salt and pepper, curried-it's a recipe from Jane Brody's Good Food Book with coconut milk and curry powder that is YUM!

I also feed he leaves to our guinea pigs but I guess you meant mostly people recipes...

My whole family loves just plain ole' cooked cabbage. I also make Bubble & Squeak. You cook the cabbage, make mashed potatos, sautee a large onion, then mix it all together in a rectangular baking dish. Bake it on 350 for about 30 minutes. I also make corned beef and cabbage. Cabbage is a favorite around here.