Menu

AP resources that I don't think I have ever seen mentioned on the forum before

I just finished reviewing some new AP resources that I ordered.....TM's from Duke TIP. http://www.tip.duke.edu/resources/ap_manuals/index.html

They are definitely not intended for someone who is looking for something open/go/answers included type materials.

However, they are absolutely chock-full of open-ended questions, research suggestions, debate/analysis scenarios, etc.

The American history one is fantastic. It has charts for them to fill in for everything from why certain areas were settled by certain groups to the various regional perspectives of the Missouri Compromise.

The American history one has weekly assignments laid out for 3 different history texts (none of which I am using). However, the general layout is easily convertible to other texts.

For example, week 11: the assignment is chpt 22 in the given text. But it also gives a list of documents to be examine, relevant court cases, Constitutional issues, Presidential decisions, discussion questions, research topics, writing activities, graph activities (included), chart activities (included), sequence activity (timeline included), recommended resources, geography activities, etc. (Answers are not included. However there are multiple choice exams with answers)

The other one I ordered was English Composition. It is not anywhere as extensive as the American history; however, it has excellent teaching suggestions, essay/literature questions, sample essays, etc.

I just stumbled upon the website one day when researching possible classes for my ds. I decided to order a couple and see what they were. I am glad I did. My dd is not taking either of these courses with the intent of taking the AP exam in the spring, but I will be implementing a lot of the suggestions for improving her researching/rhetorical/analytical skills. I am used to putting together my own classes, but I would never of thought of incorporating the majority of what the history manual includes. I am really excited about what this is going to add to our discussions.

For anyone who believes they could teach AP courses on their own but doesn't want to have to design their own materials......these might be your answer. ;)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I read through that link but I can't find a listing of the corresponding textbooks anywhere. Is such a list on there? Between my two kids, they are taking 7 APs this year. I'm confident in the preparation at ds's school but am really not pleased (after a whole 2 weeks of school) with the organization of dd's APUSH teacher.

It's great to have you back especially when you come bearing such helpful-looking resources.:D I am interested in the English Language and Composition manual (4th ed., I think) to potentially fill in some gaps in my plan.

While my daughter is not planning to take an AP test, I have found it handy to put together a notebook of 10+ of the best AP syllabi on the internet. This resource has given me ideas of books to pair to explore particular themes, writing prompts, and teaching hints. I was amazed at the wealth of information available. But then most of you have had more than a month to explore this and have probably already done this.:tongue_smilie:

Another resource I am pleased with is The Center for Learning. I am using both their AP Writing 1 and their AP English 1. My one complaint would be that one needs to track down some of the short stories in advance for the English 1 program. Fortunately, other assignments allow you to pick from numerous pieces so you can work with what is on hand or your personal preferences.

My caveat is that I am not an authority on AP preparation.

8Fillthe heart, again, it's good to have you back. I am not sure how I would have tackled unexpectedly homeschooling a senior without the help of this board.

It's great to have you back especially when you come bearing such helpful-looking resources.:D

:iagree:

The TIP AP guides look great, I'm very interested in the ones for Biology & World History — especially if the World History guide is anywhere near as good as the US History one seems to be.

I'm so glad to see you here again!

Jackie

Thanks for the warm welcome back! :001_smile:

We had a long rough summer with our oldest ds brushing with death. I was in complete overload and in order to cope, I had to shut down to basic function mode. But, thankfully, ds is back to his "invincible" young adult self (whether that attitude is good or bad remains to be seen. Mentally, it is obviously good. I just hope it doesn't impact him physically.:sad: )

Anyway, to your questions. The textbooks correlated to the APUSH manual are:

The American Nation: A History of the US, 9th ed. (John Garraty) main text

America's History, 3rd ed (James Henretta) alternative text

The American Pageant , 1998 (alternative text)

For English Language and Comp it uses American lit. The smaller works are probably found in any American anthology. I own the Pine Level of the EMC Masterpiece Series and they are all included in it. (not one of the ones recommended.

They have listed are:

Elements of Literature

Literature: The American Experience

It also gives optional college level readers:

Norton

Riverside Reader

Readings for Writers

50 Essays: A Portable Anthology

It recommends The Language of Composition: Reading, Writing, Rhetoric as designed expressly for high school ASP and includes resources for the new synthesis question.

The major works are:

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

The Scarlet Letter

Walden

"Benito Cereno"

"Billy Budd"

The Great Gatsby

Their Eyes Were Watching God

Black Boy

Death of a Salesman

Inherit the Wind

The APUSH manual gives you everything you need for the yr laid out plainly.

The English Comp is more theoretical and gives lots of essay quetions, advice, etc. I have not seen any other AP English source so I can't say how it might compare to others.

Oh, btw, shipping is free and fast. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome back! :001_smile:

We had a long rough summer with our oldest ds brushing with death. I was in complete overload and in order to cope, I had to shut down to basic function mode. But, thankfully, ds is back to his "invincible" young adult self (whether that attitude is good or bad remains to be seen. Mentally, it is obviously good. I just hope it doesn't impact him physically.:sad: )

:grouphug: