Menu

s/o What do you do in remembrance of September 11?

Nakia

I have thought about doing something with my children, now that they are a bit older, in remembrance of September 11th. Someone said (I think on this board) once that they take cookies or something like that to their local fire or police department, which seems like a great idea. Any other ideas?

I tell my kids stories. Of the flight attendant who grew up on our town. Of the safety officer who sang 'Men of Harlech' to keep people moving down the stairs, then went back in and never came out. Of the dad in our nursery school whose company was wiped out that day. Of the dust masks and flashlights we put on trucks that night. Of the cars in the train station lots that didn't leave. Of the passengers who took things into their own hands, knowing they wouldn't see their families again. Of the messages from cell phones, left on answering machines. Of the flags that appeared when people realised that it means something to be American. Of how the first tower fell and we kept repeating, 'It's gone...' I couldn't watch after that. I knew it meant war.

There's a memorial service in our town every year. Our state rep sings 'Oh beautiful, for spacious skies..' All the verses. The Boys Scouts join with the VFW in providing the color guard. And I watch my sons and I pray and pray and pray....

well, this year i'm going to go and keep company with the few muslim women who will be on the soccer field tomorrow watching their dc play. this is not such a tolerant community, and it will not be pretty. as a christian, i truly believe Jesus would be there with them, as the outcasts, and so i will be, too. my dc understand i will not be watching their games tomorrow, and are fully supportive....