Menu

I'm a mess. My younger son got cut from his soccer team.

My son is going to be 12 this week and has played for this team & coach for 2 years. It is in an organization that I thought very highly of -- focus on sportsmanship, player development, team building. They had a philosophy (the organization) of every player is welcome back.

Well, this coach said something different after a game so we called him to clarify (this was in July.) He said he is moving the team up a level and that he was expecting different boys, better players to come out for the team. He said that DS is one of the weaker players and would be cut if he got enough better players. The coach said he'd know if DS would be cut by the end of August.

I thought I was a mess then, in July. But another mom I know, said don't worry, it won't happen, that's not the organization's way of doing things.

Well, the end of August came and went. No call from the coach. I was really happy and was waiting to here about practices for fall.

I opened my email today and the coach had wrote me on Sept. 4 to tell me he is cutting DS. He cc'd it to the director of the organization so that guy is fine with it, even though he sent out a newsletter in August saying that everyone on a team is welcome back.

I don't know how I am even going to tell DS. He has no idea. He will be beyond devastated. He has had a tough year. His best/only friend moved and his grandma died. He is having emotional growing pains.

I can't believe this. The coach & the assistant told DS after the last game how well he played, how much he improved, how he had done everything they had asked of him. How will he ever understand getting cut?!?!

I wish I could go back in time, knowing what I know now and NEVER have gotten my kids involved in organized team sports. Each of them has been scr3wed over by coaches in every sport.

We thought this coach and organization was different. We thought they had integrity and that they really cared about the kids and the game. They really don't, I guess.

I can't stop crying. This week was awful. This year has been awful. My poor baby DS.

:grouphug: I am so sorry for you and yours ds. This kind of situation is what has always had me apprehensive in regards to organized sports, especially ones that are more competitive or travel-teams. I wish for you both as smooth a transition to not being on the team as possible. Also, have you spoken with the director to ask about their "everyone is welcome back" policy that seems to have an asterisk next to it? I would personally want to know why this coach is allowed to bypass the organization's policy.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My boys are young and in rec teams, so I have no experience with competitive teams, but I know I would be just as upset. I would not be able to stand the look of disappointment on my dc's faces, it would break my heart. The fact that any coach could do that to a young child just seems so cold. :grouphug:

:grouphug: I am so sorry for you and yours ds. This kind of situation is what has always had me apprehensive in regards to organized sports, especially ones that are more competitive or travel-teams. I wish for you both as smooth a transition to not being on the team as possible. Also, have you spoken with the director to ask about their "everyone is welcome back" policy that seems to have an asterisk next to it? I would personally want to know why this coach is allowed to bypass the organization's policy.[/QUOTE]

I want to. Either DH or I will or we'll write a letter.

We're still kind of in shock.

My son is going to be 12 this week and has played for this team & coach for 2 years. It is in an organization that I thought very highly of -- focus on sportsmanship, player development, team building. They had a philosophy (the organization) of every player is welcome back.

Well, this coach said something different after a game so we called him to clarify (this was in July.) He said he is moving the team up a level and that he was expecting different boys, better players to come out for the team. He said that DS is one of the weaker players and would be cut if he got enough better players. The coach said he'd know if DS would be cut by the end of August.

I thought I was a mess then, in July. But another mom I know, said don't worry, it won't happen, that's not the organization's way of doing things.

Well, the end of August came and went. No call from the coach. I was really happy and was waiting to here about practices for fall.

I opened my email today and the coach had wrote me on Sept. 4 to tell me he is cutting DS. He cc'd it to the director of the organization so that guy is fine with it, even though he sent out a newsletter in August saying that everyone on a team is welcome back.

I don't know how I am even going to tell DS. He has no idea. He will be beyond devastated. He has had a tough year. His best/only friend moved and his grandma died. He is having emotional growing pains.

I can't believe this. The coach & the assistant told DS after the last game how well he played, how much he improved, how he had done everything they had asked of him. How will he ever understand getting cut?!?!

I wish I could go back in time, knowing what I know now and NEVER have gotten my kids involved in organized team sports. Each of them has been scr3wed over by coaches in every sport.

We thought this coach and organization was different. We thought they had integrity and that they really cared about the kids and the game. They really don't, I guess.

I can't stop crying. This week was awful. This year has been awful. My poor baby DS.

I'm so sorry :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:. I know this year has been painful for you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My boys are young and in rec teams, so I have no experience with competitive teams, but I know I would be just as upset. I would not be able to stand the look of disappointment on my dc's faces, it would break my heart. The fact that any coach could do that to a young child just seems so cold. :grouphug:

I know. I know what kind of pain he'll be in (b/c I've been thru it w/ my older 2) and the fact that I can't ease the pain is absolutely killing me.

that is lame beyond belief...a personal face to face or at least a phone call to deliver this news was called for...the coach is a coward. I'd call him out on that. What a clown. I'd call out the Dir. too.

:crying: I'm sad for your DS, but I hope you can find him a more 'recreational' league still this season...12 yrs old is too young in my opinion to tell anyone, 'you aren't good enough.' He could still blossom into a great athlete.

Can you line up 2 or 3 choices of "new" activities for your ds to choose from since "he'll have more time" now?

Things like:

+ scouting

+ martial arts

+ swim class

+ co-op class

+ other teams or clubs?

+ a family plan to go hiking or biking each weekend for the good weather season; you can work together to choose really fun places, pack picnics, etc. ..

+ family camping trips a couple weekends?

+ volunteering somewhere?

What you are going through really stinks and I think it's awful that an organization that purports that everyone is welcome back doesn't live up to that. It's inexcusable!

That said, I'd try to just help you ds move on. . . "Sports are like this at most levels. . . We thought this was a 'recreational' -- 'just for fun' league, but I guess they're going in a more competitive direction. They picked the best players, and you didn't make the cut. That stinks! I'm sorry I didn't pick a more fun/less serious league for you, sweetie, but I made a mistake! . . .

In high school, college, pro teams, travel teams. . . etc, this is the way it always is. Heck, in music it is usually the same way! Math teams! You name it.

It would be even worse if the coach kept him on the team but left him on the bench all season. THAT drives me nuts!

I'd try to remind myself that these bad experiences are really just "learning" experiences. . . so, if you can MODEL for your son how to be RESILIENT and to "make lemonade out of lemons", then he will learn a MUCH more valuable lesson than he would have learned in another soccer season. . .

Also, if he has been on this team for 2 years and made no friends on it. .. then, in my book, it'd be time to look for a new avenue to socialize ANYWAY! So, maybe this will be for the best.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Hugs to you and your son. Go come up with a list of alternate activities, and a budget in mind (soccer $$ + whatever you can spare) and get ready to SMILE and make lemonade with your son!

You should tell the coach to tell your son. Let him be the one to let your poor son down. I feel so badly for you. I am so sorry you are going through this and I feel even worse for your son. I will be praying for him.

I disagree. I wouldn't want to give the coach the power to shape this thing in your son's head. You want to be able to do that. It might teach the coach a lesson, but it might also teach your son lessons you don't want him to learn.

You need to do this yourself in the best way you can.

that is lame beyond belief...a personal face to face or at least a phone call to deliver this news was called for...the coach is a coward. I'd call him out on that. What a clown. I'd call out the Dir. too.

:crying: I'm sad for your DS, but I hope you can find him a more 'recreational' league still this season...12 yrs old is too young in my opinion to tell anyone, 'you aren't good enough.' He could still blossom into a great athlete.

This is good advice. He is playing in a 6 game rec league for fall. He loves the sport and loves playing and each rec team is allowed a few travel players (which he was when he signed up 3 weeks ago.)

When my older son was 11, my FIL died. His ice hockey coach came to memorial and then 4 days later cut DS from the team. Older DS is a goalie and the coach told us he thought that older DS peaked when he was 10.

Edited by unsinkable

Can you line up 2 or 3 choices of "new" activities for your ds to choose from since "he'll have more time" now?

Things like:

+ scouting

+ martial arts

+ swim class

+ co-op class

+ other teams or clubs?

+ a family plan to go hiking or biking each weekend for the good weather season; you can work together to choose really fun places, pack picnics, etc. ..

+ family camping trips a couple weekends?

+ volunteering somewhere?

What you are going through really stinks and I think it's awful that an organization that purports that everyone is welcome back doesn't live up to that. It's inexcusable!

That said, I'd try to just help you ds move on. . . "Sports are like this at most levels. . . We thought this was a 'recreational' -- 'just for fun' league, but I guess they're going in a more competitive direction. They picked the best players, and you didn't make the cut. That stinks! I'm sorry I didn't pick a more fun/less serious league for you, sweetie, but I made a mistake! . . .

In high school, college, pro teams, travel teams. . . etc, this is the way it always is. Heck, in music it is usually the same way! Math teams! You name it.

It would be even worse if the coach kept him on the team but left him on the bench all season. THAT drives me nuts!

I'd try to remind myself that these bad experiences are really just "learning" experiences. . . so, if you can MODEL for your son how to be RESILIENT and to "make lemonade out of lemons", then he will learn a MUCH more valuable lesson than he would have learned in another soccer season. . .

Also, if he has been on this team for 2 years and made no friends on it. .. then, in my book, it'd be time to look for a new avenue to socialize ANYWAY! So, maybe this will be for the best.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Hugs to you and your son. Go come up with a list of alternate activities, and a budget in mind (soccer $$ + whatever you can spare) and get ready to SMILE and make lemonade with your son!

You've got great advice and I've been moving in this direction. He does still have ice hockey. He is interested in teaching our dog to do agility training and the beginner lessons start next week. We're doing it together til the dog is more contolable/reliable. He's also interested in doing a pipe & drum band and guitar lessons & I am waiting to hear from them.

As for the friend thing -- he's/we've reached out to other boys. He'll never "replace" his best friend -- he is like a family member. My DS seems like the type to have one good friend, not several friends, KWIM?

It is a hard adjustment to go from having a best friend who practically lived with you to seeing him every couple weeks. It's also hard to stretch and reach out to others when you've had that ease of a years-old friendship.

I disagree. I wouldn't want to give the coach the power to shape this thing in your son's head. You want to be able to do that. It might teach the coach a lesson, but it might also teach your son lessons you don't want him to learn.

You need to do this yourself in the best way you can.

I know. My past experience tells me it will be better coming from us.

I'm sorry for your pain over this, and your son's. I have emotional boys, too, so I know how tough it can be. I think it is really poor that the league/coach violated their stated policy.

Maybe it will still end up a positive in the end. My 9 year old was left behind when his recreational team (of 4 years duration, best friend was on the team) decided to form a competitive team instead. He was invited to try out, but it was not a good idea to add the extra pressure for him. He dropped out for a season, then joined a different recreation team. On his old team he was not the best player, which meant he played defense most of the time. On his new team he is one of the best players which means he gets to play forward, which he LOVES. His leadership skills and confidence are improving by leaps and bounds. His old team on the other hand, had a rough season, with a fair amount of negativity. He misses his old teammates, but ended up in a better place for him.

I hope this also leads to a better situation for your family. Best of luck.

I'm sorry for your pain over this, and your son's. I have emotional boys, too, so I know how tough it can be. I think it is really poor that the league/coach violated their stated policy.

Maybe it will still end up a positive in the end. My 9 year old was left behind when his recreational team (of 4 years duration, best friend was on the team) decided to form a competitive team instead. He was invited to try out, but it was not a good idea to add the extra pressure for him. He dropped out for a season, then joined a different recreation team. On his old team he was not the best player, which meant he played defense most of the time. On his new team he is one of the best players which means he gets to play forward, which he LOVES. His leadership skills and confidence are improving by leaps and bounds. His old team on the other hand, had a rough season, with a fair amount of negativity. He misses his old teammates, but ended up in a better place for him.

I hope this also leads to a better situation for your family. Best of luck.

Thank you. I know God has a plan for DS. It is just that I am so weak when it comes to my kids in pain.

I would absolutely call the director. Just because he was sent a copy of the letter does not necessarily mean that he agrees - or knows that you disagree.

Are there other kids who have been cut? If so are there enough to make another team?

We most likely will contact the director at some point.

I don't know for sure if there are other boys cut.

What???? If everyone is welcome back then how can ANYONE be cut??? If there are no tryouts how can ANYONE be cut???

I'm not usually one to advocate fighting your kid's battles for him, but this isn't even that. This coach has decided he can contravene the organization's policy.

I would take it up with the director, personally. Not a letter or phone call, but a face to face visit. Letters are too easy to dismiss. Phone calls even allow too much of a impersonal position. I would talk to the director and ask to have your son welcomed back on the team just like the organization policy states.

Grrrr.... I'm so angry for you and your son!!!

I'm sure some will say this is wrong, but I wouldn't tell my son he was cut from the team unless I absolutely had to. I would talk to him about his other interests and get him interested in something else and sign him up for that. I might phrase it as I thought it was time for him to move on and try something else. This is the kind of thing that can be a terrible blow to his self esteem. It's undeserved and I don't think it's something he needs to experience. That's just my opinion. :)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I can only imagine how I would feel in your place. We need a mama bear smiley.

I am so sorry for you and for your son. I know how hard it is to watch our children suffer, and know how difficult it is to watch many painful trials piling up. It's excruciating.

My son was devastated last year when he had to quit football. It's very hard. I also have a very close friend who went through the IDENTICAL situation your son did, and her child has had other painful rejections recently. I can't offer words or wisdom. The entire situation just stinks.

I pray that something come along that will bless the socks off of your son.:grouphug:

What???? If everyone is welcome back then how can ANYONE be cut??? If there are no tryouts how can ANYONE be cut???

I know! That's what I said to DH...unless the policy is just some gladhand hoo-ha they type up and spew out so they look good.

I'm not usually one to advocate fighting your kid's battles for him, but this isn't even that. This coach has decided he can contravene the organization's policy.

I would take it up with the director, personally. Not a letter or phone call, but a face to face visit. Letters are too easy to dismiss. Phone calls even allow too much of a impersonal position. I would talk to the director and ask to have your son welcomed back on the team just like the organization policy states.

That would be interesting if it happened -- we've come to see the coach in a completely different light.

Grrrr.... I'm so angry for you and your son!!!

I tried to answer in a different color.

I'm sure some will say this is wrong, but I wouldn't tell my son he was cut from the team unless I absolutely had to. I would talk to him about his other interests and get him interested in something else and sign him up for that. I might phrase it as I thought it was time for him to move on and try something else. This is the kind of thing that can be a terrible blow to his self esteem. It's undeserved and I don't think it's something he needs to experience. That's just my opinion. :)

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I can only imagine how I would feel in your place. We need a mama bear smiley.

Believe me, we've thought of that!

If someone makes a mama bear smiley, maybe they can make me a snivelling snotface mama smiley.

Many years ago, my son was the only one cut from the high school varsity basketball team. He started working out at the gym with a trainer at first and then on his own. Fast forward 8 years later- he's still working out in the gym while finishing dental school! I hope you can find a sport or interest that will carry your son through "real" life rather than focusing on a sport that he can't play after high school run by a bunch of people who shouldn't be working with young kids anyway!

Your poor boys have really been through the sports ringer. I'd be a sniveling, snot-faced, mean mama bear too. Grrrrrrrrr! It's not fair, it's not right, and it STINKS!!!

DH and I think it is b/c that they are good athletes but not great ones. They are some of the best athletes on a rec team but not stand-outs on travel teams. They're caught in the middle.

Many years ago, my son was the only one cut from the high school varsity basketball team. He started working out at the gym with a trainer at first and then on his own. Fast forward 8 years later- he's still working out in the gym while finishing dental school! I hope you can find a sport or interest that will carry your son through "real" life rather than focusing on a sport that he can't play after high school run by a bunch of people who shouldn't be working with young kids anyway!

Thanks. The stories with the happy endings really help.

Okay, I had dh read thru your post and the responses. Dh coaches a competitive soccer team. His exact words were "This is CRAP!!!!"

He then said, "You cannot cut someone from a team unless you have try outs. There is no way of knowing if a weak player from the season before hasn't grown into himself, or gone to summer clinics, or just worked his butt off!"

You need to go to the director. Calmly, but pointedly...and ask how they can cut players, when there hasn't been a tryout?

I'm really sorry you are going thru this. Also, you mentioned he's good, but not great....ummmm that sounds like bad coaching to me.

We have a great team...but there aren't really any allstars, just a bunch of solid kids. What makes a good striker, doesn't make a good mid-fielder...a great defender, may not play the same as a goalie or mid-fielder.

If they publicly advertise "everyone is welcome back" then it is false advertisement. You invested time and money (as well as your DS effort).

You made your decision to participate knowing that was the policy. I don't know if that would help in anyway, but they might not realized the serious implications of what they are doing. Maybe they need a little shake up.

OOOhhhhh this makes me angry! Give me his number, I'll call him!! I'm afraid this type of behavior in adults that are supposed to be mentoring our children just brings out the vindictiveness in me. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE ADULTS BEING ASSOCIATED WITH A WINNING TEAM.

I think I would get in touch face to face with this director and coach and tell them that you are going to make such a public stink about this false advertising that their heads will spin. Then when they change their story and invite your son back to the team tell them that you've decided to cut them from your sons life because they are sad and pathetic and don't deserve the privilege of mentoring a boy like yours.

I'm terrible. I know it. I have no sane advice to give you except to just love on that little boy a ton. Make the attention he gets from being cut worth being cut.:grouphug: And I would tell him that in light of the way they have broken their word you are glad that he won't be associating with them anyway. Here's a couple more of these for him and your other kiddos too.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I could see myself getting really "redneck" on that coach. Momma bear would come out blazing. Even if it doesn't get your ds back on the team, I would raise HELL with the coach and then even higher up. I would tell them what you told us about them being a team with integrity. I would also take the newsletter welcoming every player back and shove it in their faces. I would honesty blow up. I am so sorry this is happening to your ds!

You know... I keep thinking this:

What the heck kind of man must it take to be so willing to so casually crush a child's spirit like that?

Not much of a man at all. :glare:

This is what I was thinking too. I'm not sure anyone mentioned this yet, but my honest feeling is that even if you can get your point across with the director, I personally wouldn't want my kid on a team with THAT coach or in an organization that would do such a thing. It's one thing if there had been a tryout but there wasn't. This is ridiculous.

I hope you can find a good replacement for him. Also, if it was my child, I would tell him exactly why I wasn't fighting to get him back on the team. While this is awful on one side, it's a great teaching moment about people and how we have a choice in how we react. Do we throw a fit and stomp our feet? Or do we calmly assess the situation and make a wise move? I honestly think the wise move in this situation would be to walk away.

And then I'd tell EVERYONE I know NOT to send their kid into that league! ;)

Okay, I had dh read thru your post and the responses. Dh coaches a competitive soccer team. His exact words were "This is CRAP!!!!"

He then said, "You cannot cut someone from a team unless you have try outs. There is no way of knowing if a weak player from the season before hasn't grown into himself, or gone to summer clinics, or just worked his butt off!"

You need to go to the director. Calmly, but pointedly...and ask how they can cut players, when there hasn't been a tryout?

I'm really sorry you are going thru this. Also, you mentioned he's good, but not great....ummmm that sounds like bad coaching to me.

We have a great team...but there aren't really any allstars, just a bunch of solid kids. What makes a good striker, doesn't make a good mid-fielder...a great defender, may not play the same as a goalie or mid-fielder.

Thanks and thanks to your DH.

Here the soccer season just ended in Aug. so the coach has seen DS all year.

The way the organization does "tryouts" is to have a prospective player who isn't on the team come to practices thru the month of July so the coach can get a good look at the player w/o pressuring the player. DS told me that no new players ever practiced with them so the coach must have seen these players elsewhere. There are also kids in the org. playing "up" who want to come back down. So that is why there are no traditional tyrouts. Does that make sense?

If they publicly advertise "everyone is welcome back" then it is false advertisement. You invested time and money (as well as your DS effort).

You made your decision to participate knowing that was the policy. I don't know if that would help in anyway, but they might not realized the serious implications of what they are doing. Maybe they need a little shake up.

You're right. You and everyone else are really helping me articulate why this is so painful and feels like a betrayal.

OOOhhhhh this makes me angry! Give me his number, I'll call him!! I'm afraid this type of behavior in adults that are supposed to be mentoring our children just brings out the vindictiveness in me. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE ADULTS BEING ASSOCIATED WITH A WINNING TEAM.

I think I would get in touch face to face with this director and coach and tell them that you are going to make such a public stink about this false advertising that their heads will spin. Then when they change their story and invite your son back to the team tell them that you've decided to cut them from your sons life because they are sad and pathetic and don't deserve the privilege of mentoring a boy like yours.

I'm terrible. I know it. I have no sane advice to give you except to just love on that little boy a ton. Make the attention he gets from being cut worth being cut.:grouphug: And I would tell him that in light of the way they have broken their word you are glad that he won't be associating with them anyway. Here's a couple more of these for him and your other kiddos too.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Done. :D

You know... I keep thinking this:

What the heck kind of man must it take to be so willing to so casually crush a child's spirit like that?

Not much of a man at all. :glare:

I know. What kind of man does this to little boys?

The coach has this essay that he passes out every year about how his son has a simply awful soccer season and how the son struggled and struggled and then came around.

I said to my DH: What if his son had been cut after that season?

But the irony is that my DS is on an upswing. Other parents and the last year's assistant coach have all commented on it, about how amazing he is playing.