Menu

AAS users help please!

campmom

I'm sure the answer to this question is in the book, but I can't find it at the moment and it is stressing me. When I use the review cards at the beginning of the lesson do they just spell those words out loud or do they write them or do they use the tiles to spell them or a combination of these? Also if you have two dc doing the same level do you do them at the same time or seperate? I bought tiles for them to both do it at the same time but I'm not sure that this is a good idea. What do you think? Thanks

I think the book suggests using tiles and then writing them out. We just write them on the white board. My kids don't have patience for the tiles so I just have them write them.

I teach spelling to each child independently. But, I know there are people who combine kids. Probably just let the kids take turns answering questions. Give each child some examples to do... you could give each child different phrases/sentences to write if you wanted to. I think you'd have to be careful though that they are both really moving at the same pace. Otherwise I think you'll need to split them up if one moves along faster than the other.

We usually do the review words on the white board, but I think that just using whatever works would be fine. If your kids prefer to write on paper, with the tiles, in pudding...whatever...just keep practicing.

I'm only using AAS with one, but if I had 2 kiddos doing it, I would probably try to keep them separate so that they can advance at their own rate and not rely on their sibling to answer for them.

I have my son write them on the board. He prefers writing on the board, and I can easily watch for any handwriting mistakes and easily see where he's struggling on a word - without having to hover over his paper.

If I had two children doing the program, I would split them up so that they could work at their own pace.

Best of luck!! We just discovered AAS this year, and I LOVE it!! My son is doing better with AAS than with any of the other programs we've tried.

So does it not tell specifically how to do the review? At first I really had the impression that it was supposed to be orally, but then I got to wondering about it. We just got to the step of doing the first spelling list today so the next step will be reviewing the old words.

Also,

I think it would be better to do spelling for the boys seperately but the problem I am having is that when I try to do it with one and tell the other one they will be next they beg because "they like it and want to do it NOW"