Menu

DSL v. Cable Internet....DONE With Comcast.

Well, I'm hoping to be done with them. I am FURIOUS right now and I need to hear some real life experiences.

Long story short, if I have to deal with the jack*****s at Comcast for one more day I'm going to lose it. I don't need this kind of stress over an internet connection and I'd love to make a switch.

I've heard really good things about AT&T U-Verse service, but it isn't available for my address. So, I'm considering making the switch to just DSL with AT&T. I'm hesitant, though, because I remember switching to Comcast because I had horrible connection and speed with DSL. That said, it was many years ago and I'm hoping beyond all hope that things have improved.

Please tell me your experiences. As it is, I've lost nearly a full day's work and my daughter has not been able to do much of her school work today because of Comcast. I have a wireless card for my work computer (which is how I'm on here now) but it's slooooowww and not a viable option for me for regular use, plus DD can't use it at all.

I can't take this anymore. I'd really like to hear your honest feedback.

And while you're at it, how about satellite (Dish? Direct?) versus cable. Honestly I have had any trouble with the cable, but I'm so disgusted with this company I don't want to give them another dime of my money.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry for the vent. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do. :tongue_smilie:

I have AT&T and love it. I have had few problems and when I did, they were fast to help and repair.

ETA: My parents had internet thru DIsh and HATED it .So much so they switched to a local wireless provider. DISH was signing up too many people on their allowed bandwidths which made connections very very slow. Then DISH decided to limit how much was downloaded and the tiny amount was ridiculous - they could barely download email without being put on restrictions - which basicly meant an even slower download time. My parents lived in an area that AT&T won't prove DSL thru so they didn't have many options. They love receiving their TV thru Dish but won't recommend it for internt at all.

Edited by Dobela

One positive vote! yay!

I should have been more clear....I'm talking about satellite only for TV, not for cable. My parents also have satellite internet through and it's not great, but since it's their only option other than dial-up it's better than nothing. I wouldn't go that route for internet. I'd love to change for TV, though, just to not give Comcast any more money. Grrrr.....

We've had Dish, Direct TV, and Comcast.

We would go back to Direct TV in a heartbeat, if it weren't a money thing.

However, I can't abide the comcast service, so we're set to eliminate all pay-television for a time (relying on Hulu, Netflix...or other downloadable content). Comcast is also losing our phone.

Back to internet only. We won't save a *lot* of money, but it will be some (about $30 a month)

Just called last week to negotiate my bill for another year. :glare: In our area at least they changed it and you can no longer dial direct extensions, which sucks because I had very coveted extension of some really nice people. :D I spent two days stewing over a $16/mos increase and only 6 month guarantee, but I don't think I could function on anything slower for internet, and without TV I'd really pay throught the nose for it. I did switch my phone, not that it saves me much to use ATT, but I wasn't saving so why let Comcast have it. I have a love/hate relationship with the company as well and will be :bigear:.

Thanks for the replies.

I have no issue with the products I have from Comcast (internet and TV). It's the service that is abysmal. I cannot begin to tell you how angry I was when I created this thread. It's ridiculous.

Fast forward a few hours...my internet is miraculously working again so I've lost all of the fire and determination I had about this earlier, but I really would like to switch. If only I could find good alternatives.....