Menu

2011 acceptances thread

TravelingChris

He really wants Embry Riddle but in the end it's going to depend on the financial part...so we aren't sure.

We have heard it's a fantastic school!

Congrats! We're local to the one in FL (Daytona) and know many, many people who have gone there. Great place!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Got our first acceptance by e-mail today:

University of California at Irvine

Exciting since UCI is known for rejecting homeschoolers.

Congratulations to everyone!:)

Congratulations! Is it really known for a fact that University of California rejects homeschoolers? May I ask whether you homeschooled through a school that offered transcripts or did you provide your own transcript to UC Irvine?

Congratulations! Is it really known for a fact that University of California rejects homeschoolers? May I ask whether you homeschooled through a school that offered transcripts or did you provide your own transcript to UC Irvine?

I don't know if I'd say that it's a known fact. I'd say it's anecdotal. We just know of many very qualified homeschoolers who have been rejected including one with a 2300 SAT.

We are a part of a very small homeschool group. The will sign our transcript but it's totally made by me. You don't provide a physical transcript with your application to the UCs. You fill in your classes taken in the online app.

My son applied through "examination only." Most homeschoolers will have to apply that way as your classes must all be UC approved a-g courses to apply by transcript.

With certain test scores, you can apply by examination only and become UC eligible. You still have to fill in your grades, extra curriculars, awards, etc. and submit the essays but your eligibility is based on your test scores.

HTH,

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to everyone!

I haven't been online in several months (family + illnesses). Ds has only heard from one of his schools, the University of Delaware----which is literally within walking distance of our house! He's been accepted in the Honors College there. Hopefully there will be good scholarship news in the next month :) He probably won't hear from the other schools until close to April 1.

Yes, it was exciting even though it is not her first choice by any means. Letter #1 out of her 14 or so applications (!!).

She got accepted to Simmons and will be applying Honors as well. They gave her a Presidential Scholarship, but we haven't received the full financial package yet. We'll see. She likes that it is right in Boston where the action is, but is just waiting to see which options she ends up with.

We've had a very grumpy teen around the house, she's been on pins and needles waiting--oh, the agony!-- for a response from her reach school. She has received other acceptances, but not the one she really wanted.

Well, today's mail brought a big box. Inside: CONGRATULATIONS! with confetti, goodies, a t-shirt, and of course, the enrollment packet with two separate scholarship offers from New College of Florida. DD is literally crying tears of joy.

:party:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dd 2 accepted to Clark's, Merrimack, Simmons. Presidential scholarship to the two schools that mailed out letters, waiting on Clark's letter (got admission knowledge via email).

Still waiting on 11 other schools including favorites of BU and Mt. Holyoke. We'll see. Waiting, waiting.

Mine, too. :) Do you think your Ds will attend UCLA or is he headed elsewhere?

We're not sure. So far he's been accepted to UCLA, UCI and Cal Poly Pomona (we're still waiting to hear from their honor's program).

UCSD has been his top choice for a while but we haven't heard from them yet. I don't think he really expected to be accepted to UCLA, though, so we have lots of talking and thinking to do.:)

Congratulations to your son, too!!:D

Regular Decision has come in!

Dd applied and was accepted to: UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Greensboro, Elon, Wofford, Furman, Centre, and Samford.

Samford awarded her a very nice merit scholarship. She has small scholarships/scholarship potential at most of the rest of them (junior year scholarships or National Merit), and she will hear by the end of this month whether or not certain schools will offer her a larger merit aid package. We are all looking forward to the day when we can definitively answer those who inquire, "Where will she be going to college next year?"

Middle dd applied to ONE school and her test scores were horrid--(she is a 4.0 honors student at home and at CC but she bombed the SAT twice--we 'can' place partial blame on medical issues but still...).

DH submitted the first chapter of a novel she has been working on and a request for a 'reconsider'.

She was accepted!!!!

Of course she will have ZERO scholarships and ZERO financial aid and ZERO loans--- so we are scrambling to see how to cut costs and get her there... $20,000 is a LOT of $$$ to come up with!

With her CC transfer credits (27 hours) and us paying the first full year away-- she will only have loans for part of the last 2 years... so it is better than nothing! We can probably pay half (we have another dd in college too!).

No special hoops to jump through for being homeschooled grades 10-12 (she attended PS for 9th). We did have to get her transcript from 'me' notarized...

She will be attending Texas A&M Corpus Christi-- Go Islanders! (the campus is actually ON an island surrounded by a beach!).

Ds17 got his acceptance to Grove City today. I wasn't sure if he would get in because he never did interview and applied with an undecided major which they don't encourage.

He's also received three scholarships to PHC since he's been accepted.

Still waiting on Hillsdale and a few regular decision state schools.

Ds was just accepted by William & Mary :party: He's been named a Monroe Scholar------which sounds really fabulous but I don't think it translates to much money. We'll see in a week or so when the aid letter comes.

My ds's best friend is still waiting on W&M, hope he hears soon. Congratulations to your ds. :001_smile:

Fantastic Jean!

Ds got two acceptances today:Oklahoma State University Honors College and Texas A&M!

He applied to five colleges and was accepted to all of them!

Missouri University of Science and Tech

University of Arkansas

Embry Riddle

Oklahoma State University Honors College

Texas A&M

Middle dd applied to ONE school and her test scores were horrid--(she is a 4.0 honors student at home and at CC but she bombed the SAT twice--we 'can' place partial blame on medical issues but still...).

DH submitted the first chapter of a novel she has been working on and a request for a 'reconsider'.

She was accepted!!!!

That might be the coolest-ever way to get into school! Congratulations to both of you!

Terri

Yeah, dd got accepted to one of her TOP choices -Mt. Holyoke- with a 90% scholarship. It comes with a catch, though -winter admission instead of fall!

She has a couple of other schools she might still seriously consider, but the money here speaks pretty loud. We'll go visit in a few weeks.

Yeah, dd got accepted to one of her TOP choices -Mt. Holyoke- with a 90% scholarship. It comes with a catch, though -winter admission instead of fall!

She has a couple of other schools she might still seriously consider, but the money here speaks pretty loud. We'll go visit in a few weeks.

That's great.

Brandeis has come through well on the $ front (Hurrah!!), and the scholarships for dd#1's Israel program have also come through wonderfully... so she is deferring her Brandeis admissions and will (iy"h) be in Jerusalem next year and Brandeis the year after!

In the meantime, we heard back from some of the other colleges and she has acceptances from Goucher, Drexel, and Muhlenberg (all including very large merit scholarships). It isn't relevant, but it felt nice for her to see those!

We haven't heard back yet from Barnard or Franklin & Marshall...

Congratulations to you, your daughter and everyone else on this thread!

So much to celebrate!

Jane

Wonderful! Congratulations!:)

Brandeis has come through well on the $ front (Hurrah!!), and the scholarships for dd#1's Israel program have also come through wonderfully... so she is deferring her Brandeis admissions and will (iy"h) be in Jerusalem next year and Brandeis the year after!

In the meantime, we heard back from some of the other colleges and she has acceptances from Goucher, Drexel, and Muhlenberg (all including very large merit scholarships). It isn't relevant, but it felt nice for her to see those!

We haven't heard back yet from Barnard or Franklin & Marshall...

Congratulations! My DD is still too young for me to worry about college, but I noticed that homeschoolers are getting great scholarships. Is it all to do with their SAT scores?

Congratulations! My DD is still too young for me to worry about college, but I noticed that homeschoolers are getting great scholarships. Is it all to do with their SAT scores?

Test scores are only part of the package. Colleges are looking for focused young adults who are passionate in their interests. Homeschoolers often exemplify this.

She was accepted!!!!

Of course she will have ZERO scholarships and ZERO financial aid and ZERO loans--- so we are scrambling to see how to cut costs and get her there... $20,000 is a LOT of $$$ to come up with!

With her CC transfer credits (27 hours) and us paying the first full year away-- she will only have loans for part of the last 2 years... so it is better than nothing! We can probably pay half (we have another dd in college too!).

No special hoops to jump through for being homeschooled grades 10-12 (she attended PS for 9th). We did have to get her transcript from 'me' notarized...

She will be attending Texas A&M Corpus Christi-- Go Islanders! (the campus is actually ON an island surrounded by a beach!).

:hurray::hurray::hurray::party::party: