Menu

2011 acceptances thread

TravelingChris

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, we are so excited!! She was just offered the Trustee Scholarship, the highest merit scholarship the school offers! And her good friend received the same offer! I think that just sealed the deal. :)

Congratulations to your daughter, Irene Lynn! And to you!

While I am at it, let me distribute lots of hugs and pats on the back to the students and parents participating in this thread.

Best regards,

Jane

Dd was accepted to Colorado State University and received the Presidential Scholarship.

She was also accepted to Georgia Tech and is a semi-finalist for the President's Scholarship at that school. She is very excited about this one because GT has the #1 program in the country in Industrial Engineering (her chosen major).

She still has a few schools she hasn't heard from and likely won't make a decision until a few months from now, but there's a "whew!" [wiping forehead] feeling having at least one acceptance.

Dd was accepted to Colorado State University and received the Presidential Scholarship.

She was also accepted to Georgia Tech and is a semi-finalist for the President's Scholarship at that school. She is very excited about this one because GT has the #1 program in the country in Industrial Engineering (her chosen major).

She still has a few schools she hasn't heard from and likely won't make a decision until a few months from now' date=' but there's a "whew!" [wiping forehead'] feeling having at least one acceptance.

Congratulations!!!

#3 got acceptances to Grove City College and Cedarville.

Ds17 was accepted Early Decision into the only school he wanted to attend and the only one he applied to: Virginia Tech. Another Hokie in the family! (In addiion to myself, dh, ds20, and 5 of his aunts and uncles.)

Now he's looking for a good roommate.

Oh, we are so excited!! She was just offered the Trustee Scholarship, the highest merit scholarship the school offers! And her good friend received the same offer! I think that just sealed the deal. :)

Congratulations everyone!

Biola University, with their top scholarship! :D It is her first choice. Now we are just waiting for her to be contacted about their great books honors program; she submitted the app for that, too. (it's what makes Biola her top choice...not sure what we will decide if she doesn't get in to that).

My daughter has gotten acceptance from 4 private schools, Gannon, Kings, DeSales and Canisuis. Unfortunately DeSales and Gannon have their scholarship weekend the same day, so I guess she will have to make a decision between those two soon.

The one I'm most excited about is her acceptance to SUNY Oneonta, since the SUNY schools are supposed to be hard for homeschoolers to get into. They didn't give us any trouble or ask for any extra documentation, so that was great. She is still waiting on a few other SUNY schools, who wanted extra essays, booklists and letters. Her decision about where to go probably come down to how much scholarship money she gets, so we won't know that for a while.

The one I'm most excited about is her acceptance to SUNY Oneonta, since the SUNY schools are supposed to be hard for homeschoolers to get into. They didn't give us any trouble or ask for any extra documentation, so that was great.
Wow, I used to be a New Yorker. So have they dropped the GED requirement? Congratulations on all the acceptances.

Wow, I used to be a New Yorker. So have they dropped the GED requirement? Congratulations on all the acceptances.

The state doesn't require the GED or equivalent until college graduation, but many of the state schools don't know that or don't care. Some require it before they will look at your application, and many still require it before you start freshman year. It varies completely by SUNY school. There are ways around it, but it is complicated (way more complicated than it needs to be.)

DD was notified (via e-mail, with follow-up letter) of her acceptance at USF, St. Petersburg campus. This is her safety school, and the St Pete location is a small campus, right on the bayfront with access to water sports (DD is a sailing fiend) and fantastic marine biology research center. Quaint downtown and close family friends live there, so it's a good option. DD's SAT scores were high enough to get her into their Honors program, with an automatic award of extra $500- a year. Not the best school, but one that works for DD and will allow her to devote more time to her hobbies. Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a small pond, ya know?

DD is also eligible for the top Florida state award, Bright Futures Top Scholar award, due to her SAT scores.

Now DD is still awaiting a decision from her choice Liberal Arts school, and they take about 8 weeks! so she won't know until the end of January, via phone call. It's a selective school, and even with her SAT scores--750 Critical Reading, 690 Writing, 580 Math, it's an iffy shot. Her unusual ECs might be the deciding factor, as she has won some national awards and been in the news for her endeavors. We'll see.

Edited by distancia

Here is what Bear has so far. Not at all what I thought would happen as we began looking at colleges back in his Junior year.

University of Memphis (Honors Program)

Bryan College

UT Martin

Ouachita

TN Tech

and Belhaven

He is leaning toward Memphis due to the honors program and the new honors dorm,the STEM program, how close it is to home, and the scholarship at Memphis.

Blessings,

Brenda

This is an inspiring thread. We are making a decision within the next few months about whether to officially homeschool high school or send my daughter to the science/math/technology magnet program at the local high school. Seeing details on what kinds of schools your kids are getting into, and the scholarships they are receiving or for which they are in contention, is very helpful to us. Thank you all for sharing these personal details.

Terri

This is an inspiring thread. We are making a decision within the next few months about whether to officially homeschool high school or send my daughter to the science/math/technology magnet program at the local high school. Seeing details on what kinds of schools your kids are getting into, and the scholarships they are receiving or for which they are in contention, is very helpful to us. Thank you all for sharing these personal details.

Terri

There are also inspiring threads on College Confidential. Search for the "homeschool acceptances" threads. I've found 2008, 2010, and 2011 there.

Edited by idnib

Congrats to all who got acceptances!

My son just got accepted into the only college he applied to! Berklee College of Music. He got a small scholarship which we wish was bigger because it is expensive as h*ll! (pardon the expletive!).

But we are thrilled!

Berklee is a great school! Congratulations to your son!

Jane

Biola University, with their top scholarship! :D It is her first choice. Now we are just waiting for her to be contacted about their great books honors program; she submitted the app for that, too. (it's what makes Biola her top choice...not sure what we will decide if she doesn't get in to that).

Dd walked this path last year and would have really enjoyed continuing down the path she had started with Torrey online by continuing in Torrey Honors. She sat in on a Torrey class during her campus visit (St. Augustine, one of her faves, was their discussion for the day!) and phone interviewed for Torrey Honors with the dean a couple of weeks later. He told her right there on the phone that she would be admitted to TH--that was one of her best happy dances of the entire year. : ) She felt so accomplished and validated!

In the end, even with the highest merit aid possible, Biola was still too expensive for her, as she needs to go on to seminary, so can't afford to take out high amounts of undergrad loans. She is loving where she is now though, so it's all good.

Best wishes for your daughter!

I am so impressed with all these long lists of colleges--I could only get my ds to apply to one and I did a lot of nagging to get all the paperwork completed. :-) He was not interested in applying to a "plan B" or safety school. Fortunately he found out right before Christmas that he received an appointment to West Point and he has accepted it. We are so proud of him! June 27 is going to come way too soon. :-(

Ds got an acceptance letter today to Embry Riddle.

Congratulations! That's down our way! Your family will definitely have to plan a trip to the Cape and watch some rocket lauches! And, of course there are WONDERFUL beaches just north and south of there, as well as the quaint and historic St. Augustine. :001_smile:

Great job!

Lisa

I am so impressed with all these long lists of colleges--I could only get my ds to apply to one and I did a lot of nagging to get all the paperwork completed. :-) He was not interested in applying to a "plan B" or safety school. Fortunately he found out right before Christmas that he received an appointment to West Point and he has accepted it. We are so proud of him! June 27 is going to come way too soon. :-(

That's awesome Maverick! Many congratulations to you and your ds!

Lisa

Another acceptance package came today.

Beloit College

with

University of Dallas

and

Willamette University

She still has a couple of schools that she applied regular decision, so no answers expected on them for a couple of months. (We're still waiting to hear from one early action school.)

Wow! Some wonderful schools and options. I love these threads!

Congratulations,

Lisa

Congratulations! That's down our way! Your family will definitely have to plan a trip to the Cape and watch some rocket lauches! And, of course there are WONDERFUL beaches just north and south of there, as well as the quaint and historic St. Augustine. :001_smile:

Great job!

Lisa

Thanks! He applied to the AZ campus though. I would still love to visit FL, especially today :D

I could only get my ds to apply to one and I did a lot of nagging to get all the paperwork completed. :-)

Let me get that right...he was only interested in the one school (IOW, he had his heart set on it?), and you had to nag him to get the paperwork completed? !!!!

Oh, my! They do defy logic, don't they!?! :lol:

I have one cut out of the same mold, and one who still balks at grabbing proverbial bulls by their horns, even when it is clearly in her own interest!

Gaaah--the teenage mind! Love it and hate it.

CONGRATS to you both!!!

I know, Valerie, it's crazy! I was starting to think he'd be around here for another year--which I actually wouldn't mind. :-) It was all the essays that he procrastinated--the ones for West Point and the ones for the nominations. Everything else was in on time except those darn essays.

Wow! Congrats to all the students and their hard-working guidance counselors!

My youngest wants to study photography and continue his sport, so he was only interested in two schools. So far, accepted at Savannah College of Art and Design with a nice merit scholarship and and even nicer athletic grant, but he can only accept one. If he goes there, he will have to decide whether to be stressed over grades or stressed over competing in his sport! And today he received his acceptance package from Ithaca College with a nice merit award. Now the wait to see if there is any additional financial aid offered.