Menu

2011 acceptances thread

TravelingChris

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dd applied to one school last fall and was accepted last October. We just found out that she has been given a 4 semester full tuition merit transfer scholarship. She will have her AA (lots of cc courses during high school), so two years at the university is what she needs. Hooray!

Congratulations! My DD is still too young for me to worry about college, but I noticed that homeschoolers are getting great scholarships. Is it all to do with their SAT scores?

SAT or ACT test scores are what get you looked at by most colleges. Extra curriculars then often make the difference in who gets great scholarships. There are some exceptions. Currently the University of Alabama is offering full tuition to anyone with over a 32 on the ACT. They sent my son (a current junior) notification of this based on his sophomore score, so I assume it will be the same for next year's seniors. But even there, to get a free ride (everything paid for), the ACT (or SAT) is just a start, then it's competitive based on other aspects (extra curriculars, diversity - including geographical, interviews, essays, or pretty much anything else).

My oldest applied to 5 schools, and was accepted at all of them, as we are in the camp of those who choose lower tier schools to maximize scholarship $. The biggest question for us was if he would get into the Honors College at U of Akron, which would bring additional merit aid. It's a close enough school so that he could live at home, and also has a good program for his preferred major.

Last week he was notified of his acceptance and additional merit aid. Now we will be able to cover all of his tuition and at least a year or two in the Honors Dorm, which is good because I'd like to see him become a bit more independent.

We're very happy with the outcome of all this stressful college business!

Thanks to the many on this board who have helped me figure this stuff out... one down, one to go. I start all over with college visits for my daughter this spring!

Does anyone know of any homeschoolers who were accepted by U.C. Berkeley?

Berkeley decisions are scheduled to come out this week on the 24th. We're waiting to hear.

My son did get accepted over the weekend to UC San Diego.

So, that makes:

UC Irvine

UCLA

UC San Diego

Cal Poly Pomona (still waiting to hear from the honors college)

Congratulations to everyone!:party::party:

Congratulations to everyone. So great to hear the news and to hear how people are getting monies as well.

Dd is still waiting for five schools. So far acceptance to her top choice Mt. Holyoke, accepted with Presidential Scholarships to Clark, Simmons, Merrimack (Honors at the last two as well), wait-listed at NYU, Northeastern, Smith, rejected at Wesleyan and BU (her top-top choice but we knew their money is not good).

Waiting to hear from Brown, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Tufts.:tongue_smilie:

The Univerisity of Notre Dame.

Ds was also accepted at 9 other schools, 8 with merit scholarships, 4 with honors college acceptances. But ND was always in his heart, and the cost ended up just over the state school option. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Congratulations!:party:

My oldest ds is going to the University of Florida!!! He is graduating from high school and from the local college with his AA degree in May. He will be entering UF as a junior. We are so excited!!! The best part is that we won't be going into debt to send him to college (with scholarships and what we've saved...he should be set through his Masters degree in Accounting!!!)

He also got accepted into Hillsdale and the University of Central Florida.

Homeschooling works!!!

One down, two more to go!!!

Decision made! She chose Baylor! She was accepted into eight other schools: Vanderbilt, Wheaton, Hillsdale, Univ. of OK, Univ. of AL, SMU (& Meadows), Louisiana State Univ., and Centenary. Because of excellent merit aid and other scholarships, an interested, wonderful teacher, and distance from home, her choice became clear. She's happy, and so am I!

Whew.

(small, still voice) Now on to housing, orientation, health forms, academic advising, money matters, dorm equipping, transportation, etc. etc.....

But I'm still happy!:D

Congratulations to all of my WTM compadres who have traveled this journey! I'm so proud of all our kids. And moms!

Decision made! She chose Baylor! She was accepted into eight other schools: Vanderbilt, Wheaton, Hillsdale, Univ. of OK, Univ. of AL, SMU (& Meadows), Louisiana State Univ., and Centenary. Because of excellent merit aid and other scholarships, an interested, wonderful teacher, and distance from home, her choice became clear. She's happy, and so am I!

Interesting! Baylor is still on middle son's "maybe" list (mainly due to distance as to why it's not a "definite" to check out. We just might have to see if we can get a trip down there next fall sometime. In 2006 we passed right by the entrance on one of our trips, but did we even think to stop by then? No. Figures.

I always love hearing about your children, Margaret, and their interesting post-homeschool lives. Debt free grad school is definitely something to cheer!

I'm fascinated with all the young music doctoral candidates I know. It is such a new phenomena -- none of my peers who went into music made it past the bachelor's stage. I hope your violinist dd has a terrific grad school experience.