Menu

Speech Therapy for teens

My 15yo son is probably in need of some speech help. He had speech therapy in about 2nd grade at the local ps -- it helped at the time. But now, as I observe him objectively, I notice that he doesn't speak very distinctly and is usually a fairly quiet speaker. He's probably the most sensitive of my 5 boys, so I don't bring up the topic with him (I know, I probably should -- but I don't want to embarrass him), but I'm wondering now if his shyness/quietness is due to not speaking well. I could send him to the local hs for speech therapy (for free), but I think that would be way too ... humiliating, maybe, for him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a good speech therapist for a teen boy? Or how long speech therapy usually takes? (I remember speech very fondly from my childhood -- all we did was play games and walk on the balance beam! How did that cure my lisp?!)

I guess I'm just looking for any words of wisdom from any of you. None of my other 6 has a speech problem anymore -- amazing how different they all are! I especially don't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel like anything is "wrong" with him -- he is one of my 2 most considerate children (does whatever chores we ask without complaint, does chores without being asked, is thoughtful -- ok, the other kids think he's my favorite; but who doesn't like to be around someone who's nice to them?!).

Thanks in advance for all the good advice!

Lynnette

Is he actually pronouncing words correctly? Perhaps a Speech class (as in delivering speeches) might be more helpful if it is a matter of confidence and projection. You learn to put expression in your voice, to enunciate clearly so that people can hear you, etc. Drama is good for that sort of thing too. This link has some good stuff about speech and debate for homeschooling teens. http://www.triviumpursuit.com/speech_debate/index.php

I took speech as an adult (after my stroke); but I allowed my teen boy to quit speech as it wasn't expected that he could completely remediate and especially not since HE wasn't 100% (ha! or even 50%) into it.

Does your ds see the need? Is he willing to work hard?

We went through a speciality clinic (it was all speech and hearing and worked with people from infancy to the elderly) in Dallas.

My 15yo son is probably in need of some speech help. He had speech therapy in about 2nd grade at the local ps -- it helped at the time. But now, as I observe him objectively, I notice that he doesn't speak very distinctly and is usually a fairly quiet speaker. He's probably the most sensitive of my 5 boys, so I don't bring up the topic with him (I know, I probably should -- but I don't want to embarrass him), but I'm wondering now if his shyness/quietness is due to not speaking well. I could send him to the local hs for speech therapy (for free), but I think that would be way too ... humiliating, maybe, for him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a good speech therapist for a teen boy? Or how long speech therapy usually takes? (I remember speech very fondly from my childhood -- all we did was play games and walk on the balance beam! How did that cure my lisp?!)

I guess I'm just looking for any words of wisdom from any of you. None of my other 6 has a speech problem anymore -- amazing how different they all are! I especially don't want to hurt his feelings or make him feel like anything is "wrong" with him -- he is one of my 2 most considerate children (does whatever chores we ask without complaint, does chores without being asked, is thoughtful -- ok, the other kids think he's my favorite; but who doesn't like to be around someone who's nice to them?!).

Thanks in advance for all the good advice!

Lynnette

I suggest you start by asking your son's doctor. Or call a local children's hospital and explain what you hope to find. They might know of speech therapists in your area that would best fit your son's situation.

Also, there's a great website on speech therapy that I've found very helpful. Here's the link to the page on how to find a speech therapist. http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=25

Thank you all for your helpful input! I think the public speaking/drama route is out for him -- I think his goal right now is to talk to as few people as possible :)

I'm not sure he would even let me know if his speech patterns bothered him -- he just doesn't like to call attention to himself in any way. When he went to the dr. recently for a checkup, I asked the dr. and nurse to check his speech; they couldn't get him to talk enough to be able to tell if he has any speech impediments. (He is loud and vocal at home, so I know he can definitely talk!)

I suppose the problem could just be enunciation, although many of the sounds sound "airy" and from both sides of the mouth, if that makes sense.

He would probably be hesitant about speech therapy, if offered as an option. But he would probably see it as a necessity, since he wants to go into law enforcement -- you kind of have to talk to people.

I suppose I'll find a private speech therapist and go that route. Anyone know a good speech therapist in W. Washington?

Thanks again!