Menu

Horse people: Is taking care of a horse for free a fair exchange for ....

the owner keeping it at our house and paying all expenses? Is there something I'm not thinking of? There's a college student here with a horse, who needs to find a place to keep her. My thought was that the horse could "live" here with us taking care of it as long as the student buys all food, pays vet costs and any other costs -- we don't want to (can't) put any money into it. To me it seems like a fair exchange, but I'm not a horse person and might be missing something. We'd make sure to meet the horse first to make sure its temperament is a good fit for our family (according to the owner, she's gentle, has never bucked, and likes people once she gets to know them).

Thanks for any input!

Edited by milovaný

She pays for food and bedding. Who is feeding, grooming, and mucking stalls?

Us. This is something we can't do on our own right now (get a horse), but if the costs are covered and we -- my kids -- get to care for and ride a horse in exchange, it seems like a good "deal". But I don't know if I'm thinking of everything.

ETA: We just moved to 2 acres (with an acre sized field the horse could pasture in); we have chickens and are getting a milk goat -- and would consider a horse if it wasn't for the expense. DH will have to build shelter for it.

Edited by milovaný

Do you get to ride the horse? Who pays if the horse becomes ill and the vet must be called? Who pays and calls the farrier?

What happens if the horse is injured on your land? What happens if your child is injured by the horse? Who is liable?

She is boarding her horse with you. People normally pay to have a horse boarded and you care for the horse. They pay rent for the land/stall, plus all care for the horse. You would possibly pay more to have all the daily care done for you.

In my mind, unless you just really want a horse to feed every day, it is not a good deal for you all.

OK, just read that your dh would have to build shelter for the horse... AND shelter for the hay/feed. That must be sheltered as well. No, not a good deal, imo. Horses are a lot of work.

Edited by Old Dominion Heather

I think I might have a contract. That way you aren't to blame if it gets sick or someone gets hurt. That is what I would worry about.

Fantastic advice, thanks.

Do you get to ride the horse? Who pays if the horse becomes ill and the vet must be called? Who pays and calls the farrier?

What happens if the horse is injured on your land? What happens if your child is injured by the horse? Who is liable?

Yes, we'd get to ride the horse and she would pay all expenses. Haven't worked through the "if someone (or the horse) gets injured" part yet. We would be responsible, of course, if our child gets injured -- and in return, she'd be responsible for the horse if it does. We could cover "risk" in the contract, right?

She is boarding her horse with you. People normally pay to have a horse boarded and you care for the horse. They pay rent for the land/stall, plus all care for the horse. You would possibly pay more to have all the daily care done for you.

In my mind, unless you just really want a horse to feed every day, it is not a good deal for you all.

OK, just read that your dh would have to build shelter for the horse... AND shelter for the hay/feed. That must be sheltered as well. No, not a good deal, imo. Horses are a lot of work.

The bolded part is exactly it. The thing is, this isn't something we could do on our own right now -- get a horse -- and b/c of our income situation, our kids don't have access to many "extras" (lessons, co-op classes, travel, etc.). So to think of having a horse available to care for and ride, with no expense beyond initial set up (dh is having to build something for the milk goat anyway, so we could just add on to that), is honestly pretty appealing.

I appreciate all the thoughts so far -- thanks for helping me think this through! How much do horse owners typically pay for boarding and daily care?

Edited by milovaný

I wouldn't do it. Have you owned a horse before? If not, I definitely wouldn't do it. Especially with all of the building needed!

Even my aunt, who has owned horses her entire adult life, says she'd never keep her horse on her own property and be responsible for his every day care. Not that she's above all that work (she does plenty while she's at the barn), but it's just way beyond what she wants to do every. single. day. And she doesn't have kids running around!

I wouldn't do it. Have you owned a horse before? If not, I definitely wouldn't do it. Especially with all of the building needed!

Even my aunt, who has owned horses her entire adult life, says she'd never keep her horse on her own property and be responsible for his every day care. Not that she's above all that work (she does plenty while she's at the barn), but it's just way beyond what she wants to do every. single. day. And she doesn't have kids running around!

My husband grew up around horses, and we owned a quarter pony with a sister-in-law for a time (we had to sell her b/c she lived 5 miles away and we couldn't get out there enough to work with her). Part of the reason we bought property in the country is just for the kind of thing -- so the kids would have the opportunity to take care of animals, and work with them. So it's the lifestyle we're looking for (the milk goat is going to tie us down more than the horse, since the horse owner would live nearby and could take care of her as need arises, right?).

But I do understand that horses are a lot of work and appreciate you reminding me of that -- wouldn't having the owner nearby help tender that a little bit? (i.e., even though we'd be doing most of the care, she'd be available to be called on, too). I'm asking sincerely! I'm looking to cover all bases, and don't know if I'm missing a base somewhere.

I just wanted to add a thought here. Does anyone in your family have any experience with horses? I'm thinking of safety issues here both for you and the horse. It is also, as someone has already said, a lot of work and a big commitment.

The idea of having a horse can sound very appealing until you actually have to care for/have responsibility for one. It can also be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

My apologies if someone in your family is an experienced horse person and this is not an issue, however, if this is not the case I would think twice about making a commitment of this nature.

ETA: I grew up riding and owned 2 horses. I would never allow anyone to care for them in my absence who was not an experienced horseman.

I just wanted to add a thought here. Does anyone in your family have any experience with horses? I'm thinking of safety issues here both for you and the horse. It is also, as someone has already said, a lot of work and a big commitment.

Yes, my husband grew up with horses, and we owned one with a sister-in-law for a time. We have 5 kids of horse-caretaking age (8-16), and one in particular -- the 14.5 year old -- would work extensively in taking care of her b/c of a natural affinity for horses, and all animals (she worked a LOT with the horse we owned with sil).

Well, to me (and the other horsey people) is sounds like there is a good chance you will be taken advantage of. She should be PAYING YOU in my opinion - what do you get out of the arrangement besides the fun (WORK :D:D) of looking and caring for a horse?

Plus my donkeys want to eat everyday at the same time(s) or they are not shy about telling you you are late. Most horses like a routine as well so what if you need to go out of town? Would you get a pet sitter?

Who's going to lug water buckets in the winter? Or drain and coil the hose each time you use it to fill a bucket? Or pay $50 for a heated water bucket - or $30 for a heating element to keep it form freezing? Unless you live in a nice warm climate - winter watering is not fun.

Who will stack the hay when it is delivered? We HATE hay day here - those suckers are heavy.

She should at least contribute $100 a month if you ask me.

Yes, my husband grew up with horses, and we owned one with a sister-in-law for a time. We have 5 kids of horse-caretaking age (8-16), and one in particular -- the 14.5 year old -- would work extensively in taking care of her b/c of a natural affinity for horses, and all animals (she worked a LOT with the horse we owned with sil).

Define the experience levels? There is a difference between growing up around horses, and growing up caring for and riding horses extensively, kyim? My brother tossed hay to my horses maybe 3 times, and now considers himself an expert. Are you prepared to deal with and reschool the horse if it turns out to have a screw loose or some manners issues? These are huge things, not all horses are nice and family friendly, which I'm sure you already know, but it never hurts to remind people :tongue_smilie:. Also, I would have an iron clad contract with the owner..

Here is my issue with it. If the college student already can not afford to have it boarded at a professional stable/farm, then she probably can not actually afford to pay for it's vet care. Hoof trimmings, typically every eight weeks, run $35.00 in our area and possibly more elsewhere. It's $75.00 just to get a vet on the property and you probably don't own a horse trailer for getting it to equine facilities for expert care. But, in many states, if you have a verbal or written contract to care for the horse and it becomes injured or ill while on your property and you do not provide it with adequate care even though you do not own it, you can be charged with neglect and or abuse. Most boarding facilities, while having very carefully worded contracts, also have liability insurance to cover bad situations. This animal is a valuable asset to someone else and you are taking legal responsibility for it so you need to have coverage. Some boarding facilities require a "first, last month" boarding fee in order to cover any unpaid vet bills that might accumulate etc.

Additionally, unless you own tack of your own that fits this animal, you will need an agreement for the use of the tack and equipment. Also, who is paying for the trainer. Your children should not ride an animal they are unfamiliar with unless you have someone with professional experience do an evaluation of the animal and give the kids some basic riding and horsemanship lessons so that they are less likely to be injured. For that matter, you really need to know what the background of the animal is, who trained it, how often was it ridden, are their previous owners and if so, why was the horse sold, references from the trainers, vets, previous riders, etc. in order to make sure you aren't getting into an unsafe situation....i.e. an animal with a nasty disposition that had to be moved from its previous home because it was a problem.

Do you have a fenced riding arena?

I work at the farm where my horse is boarded. I pay all of her food, vet, hoof trims, etc. plus I work 8-12 days a month caring for the other horses, a flock of sheep, six llamas, a flock of chickens, some barn cats, the sheep dog, and three ducks. I still pay $100.00 per month on top of that and many times more. This is not a simple or cheap endeavor so please, please make your decision very carefully and with eyes wide open.

Faith

Well, to me (and the other horsey people) is sounds like there is a good chance you will be taken advantage of. She should be PAYING YOU in my opinion - what do you get out of the arrangement besides the fun (WORK :D:D) of looking and caring for a horse?

Plus my donkeys want to eat everyday at the same time(s) or they are not shy about telling you you are late. Most horses like a routine as well so what if you need to go out of town? Would you get a pet sitter?

Who's going to lug water buckets in the winter? Or drain and coil the hose each time you use it to fill a bucket? Or pay $50 for a heated water bucket - or $30 for a heating element to keep it form freezing? Unless you live in a nice warm climate - winter watering is not fun.

Who will stack the hay when it is delivered? We HATE hay day here - those suckers are heavy.

She should at least contribute $100 a month if you ask me.

Agreed. There should be some form of board payment. Pasture board around here runs $300 a month. I wouldn't necessarily suggest charging her a lot for board, but stacking hay does suck. So does sloshing around with water buckets through a snow drift, mucking when its 110 or too cold to feel your toes, and waiting around half the day for the farrier to show up.

What happens if your boarder just stops paying for feed/hay/bedding...are you prepared to pay yourself? watch the animal starve? shoot it in the head? (I know you wouldn't do the last two, so you'll end up paying for it).

So if that goes on for 6 months and then the boarder shows up and says, 'ok I'm taking my horse home now.' are you okay with being out the money?

Can your kids ride THIS horse? The old expression 'a horse is a horse of course of course' really is not true! Some people who think they can ride have only ridden 25 yr old dead broke trail horses that only walk in a line down a dirt path all day...put that person on a 6 yr old arabian, or a 3 yr old greenbroke barrel horse with a bad bucking habit, or a civil war re-enactment cavalry horse (saw that happen one!) yikes...big trouble.

Does your home-owner's insurance cover you for this sort of thing? Are you in an 'inherent risk' state for horseback riding (We are, which protects us somewhat from liability if someone is hurt riding one of our horses).

Is your fence good enough for a horse?

I'm no fun, I know, but there's lots of stuff to worry about here...be careful...I see a headache in the making.

Define the experience levels? There is a difference between growing up around horses, and growing up caring for and riding horses extensively, kyim? My brother tossed hay to my horses maybe 3 times, and now considers himself an expert. Are you prepared to deal with and reschool the horse if it turns out to have a screw loose or some manners issues? These are huge things, not all horses are nice and family friendly, which I'm sure you already know, but it never hurts to remind people :tongue_smilie:. Also, I would have an iron clad contract with the owner..

Owned, took care of, rode horses on his family's property growing up -- and also worked for a draft horse herd owner in college, taking care of the animals and handling those biggies in competitions. How's that? ;) DH would be considered an experienced horse guy -- even though it's been 20+ years since he's been around them regularly. Our 14yo dd worked with the pony we owned as well -- her experience is obviously less, but her dedication, desire and abilities are high.

If the horse turns out to have a screw loose, and not be family friendly we have the owner take her elsewhere? (But we'd do our best to check that out ahead of time).

Thanks for asking the hard questions!

What happens if your boarder just stops paying for feed/hay/bedding...are you prepared to pay yourself? watch the animal starve? shoot it in the head? (I know you wouldn't do the last two, so you'll end up paying for it).

So if that goes on for 6 months and then the boarder shows up and says, 'ok I'm taking my horse home now.' are you okay with being out the money?

Can your kids ride THIS horse? The old expression 'a horse is a horse of course of course' really is not true! Some people who think they can ride have only ridden 25 yr old dead broke trail horses that only walk in a line down a dirt path all day...put that person on a 6 yr old arabian, or a 3 yr old greenbroke barrel horse with a bad bucking habit, or a civil war re-enactment cavalry horse (saw that happen one!) yikes...big trouble.

Does your home-owner's insurance cover you for this sort of thing? Are you in an 'inherent risk' state for horseback riding (We are, which protects us somewhat from liability if someone is hurt riding one of our horses).

Is your fence good enough for a horse?

I'm no fun, I know, but there's lots of stuff to worry about here...be careful...I see a headache in the making.

I was thinking about all this too, but wasn't sure how to word it. I got my current horse in an interesting situation. Jerk 1 dumped horse at boarding stable, and Jerk 2 at boarding stable didn't feed said horse because the bills weren't paid. So Jerk 2 dumped horse on me because I happened to be the only person at the whole barn who liked the horse. Not a good situation for the horse. Lots of people are dumping horses they can't pay for these days. Its not unheard of to come out to feed in the morning and find an extra horse mysteriously in the pasture...

I suggest an IRONCLAD, notarized contract stating things like who is responsible for what, if board is not paid in say 3 months the horse is yours and can be sold at auction (that usually works for getting your board money...), who pays for damaged fencing if the horse chews it up, who is responsible for what, what the horse comes with tack wise, etc. You need to figure out what the horse is ridden in. For example if you took one of my event horses and threw a western saddle up there with a western bridle and a curb bit, you may well wind up hanging from a tree somewhere.

Owned, took care of, rode horses on his family's property growing up -- and also worked for a draft horse herd owner in college, taking care of the animals and handling those biggies in competitions. How's that? ;) DH would be considered an experienced horse guy -- even though it's been 20+ years since he's been around them regularly. Our 14yo dd worked with the pony we owned as well -- her experience is obviously less, but her dedication, desire and abilities are high.

If the horse turns out to have a screw loose, and not be family friendly we have the owner take her elsewhere? (But we'd do our best to check that out ahead of time).

Thanks for asking the hard questions!

Oh GOOD! I hear a lot of "My -insert relative here- had a llama growing up and went on a trail ride on a dude ranch twice, s/he's a very experienced horse person, and I would like to purchase one of your ex race horses"

Nope, not kidding :001_huh:. Sounds like you guys have a good grip on reality horse wise then.

Thanks for all the hard questions! *I'm* not experience with horses and dh isn't here right how, so all this talking I'm doing is from that perspective.

What I've gathered so far: We should have an iron-clad contract (who pays for what -- her, everything; us, nothing; liability, etc.); she probably ought to pay us something for boarding the horse here; it's a lot of work, esp at hay-stacking time and in the winter; we should definitely make sure she's friendly around the people in our family -- riding, caretaking, etc. I'm sure dh has his own things to check on as well.

For me, my original thought was financially -- the other dh would have taken care of as we worked it through. Thanks, again, for your thoughts and advice.

Thanks for all the hard questions! *I'm* not experience with horses and dh isn't here right how, so all this talking I'm doing is from that perspective.

What I've gathered so far: We should have an iron-clad contract (who pays for what -- her, everything; us, nothing; liability, etc.); she probably ought to pay us something for boarding the horse here; it's a lot of work, esp at hay-stacking time and in the winter; we should definitely make sure she's friendly around the people in our family -- riding, caretaking, etc. I'm sure dh has his own things to check on as well.

For me, my original thought was financially -- the other dh would have taken care of as we worked it through. Thanks, again, for your thoughts and advice.

Psst, you can get horse books off of amazon.com used for about $2 a piece. Get a few and study up :).

Probably the best ones that go in order and cover just about everything are the United States Pony Club books, but even used they're usually $5+. They're aimed at kids, so your kids could study up. Those are the books I recommend to every lesson student I teach, I really, really like them.

Do you know what colic and founder look like?

*I* don't -- at. all. Does turning on the vacuum and patting/rocking vigorously help with horse colic, too? :lol:

But my husband probably does. I'll ask him.

ETA - I hope my joke was received in the spirit with which it was intended! I have absolutely NO experience with horses, but dh does.

Edited by milovaný

My friend has a similar arrangement and it has worked out great for them. She bought a home with three stalls: one she rents out, and one is for her horse. They took in the neighbor's horse in the third stall. My friend and her daughters take care of feeding, grooming and mucking the stalls. I think they also pay for the food, too. The neighbor pays the vet bills and other items, (grooming items, blankets, shoeing). In exchange my friend and her children can ride their horse any time. It has worked out great for them because with two horses available to ride her husband and her can now go out on trail rides together.

It's good people are bringing up things you should seriously think about, but I don't think it would be as negative as some are making it out to be. Honestly,I think it's has phenomenal potential to work well for both parties. I get why you'd be willing to take care of it in exchange for the experience and to ride.

Yeah, winter watering is a pain, putting up hay is hard, you may be the first to notice any health issues and how would you handle it them, but that's the point! As a former farm kid, those experiences are great for your kids! Hard work is good-it builds character. And if your kids, or any one of them, are as passionate about having a horse as my dd is, I would seriously be considering the opportunity and how best to make it work.

If I needed to build a shed and put up fencing, I might be willing to do that to have a horse for my kid. Used sheds can be found, so can fencing supplies and again, those projects would be great for kids to be a part of-as long as you are aware of what the work would entail and you feel comfortable spending the money needed to do that. The cost of something like that might be my biggest objection-personally.

I got a horse when I was in high school from a family that gave him to me. I had no experience with horses, although my dad grew up with them. If I needed help, I could go to him and ask, just like you can go to the owner and ask or to your hubby.

I think it's well worth looking into and I hope you can work things out so that it will benefit you all.

I can tell you about my situation. When we first got our horse, we met some people who had a barn. They told my daughters and me that we could keep our horse at their place if we bought the grain, bedding, hay...and everything else that was required to keep our horse. In exchange we cleaned stalls and cleaned up around their small farm. It was really hard work but what it taught my two daughters will never, ever, ever be able to be replaced. Having horses is very hard work. Riding the horse is the best part of course, but that comes in last compared to what else needs to be taken care of in owning a horse. I didn't read all of the responses but there are some things to take into consideration...I don't really think you need an iron clad agreement....if a lawyer was to get invovled, a contract written on paper can very easily be shot down. You have to be able to know and trust the person you are going to be working with. If you do, then I think that is good enough. Yes, horses are expensive, shoes, trimmings (even with no shoes) winter/spring vaccinations, emergency vet bills....foreheads ripped open by a nail in the stall....ask me how I know....feeding and cleaning in 100 degree and 1 degree weather....frozen water buckets...., the list goes on and on. It is all very hard work but it is so very worth it and I think you have a great opportunity here. You can read books and magazines to learn so much about horses. What these animals can teach us (especially children) is priceless. I say give it a two month trial and if it doesn't work out then at least you call all say that you tried. Remember though, horses (unless they have been alone all of their life) will get very, very lonely even to the point of depression if they are all by themselves. Please don't do that to this horse, get it a friend. And as for the goat that you're going to get....do you know anything about them? I wouldn't get another goat if someone gave me a billion dollars (well, okay I would but!) goats are a HUGE pain in the behind. There truly is nothing good about a goat!

I don't know anything about paying for and caring for a horse at home (when I was a teen I spent a year taking dressage lessons and helped take care of the horses at the stable 4 days a week). I wanted a horse so badly I would have given anything for the opportunity to take care of one at home - and get to ride it too!! I LOVED the work. I'd do it. :001_smile: I do like the idea of a written agreement just so there's no question about who is responsible for what. Could you both agree to a trial period?

I appreciate all the thoughts so far -- thanks for helping me think this through! How much do horse owners typically pay for boarding and daily care?

When I still had my mare we were paying $325 a month for a stall with nightly turnout. The barn did all of the work and provided hay and oats.

I agree with everything OldDominionHeather says. This is a great deal for the college student but not a deal for you at all.

I didn't read all of the responses but there are some things to take into consideration...I don't really think you need an iron clad agreement....

Have you ever been to the Chronicle of the Horse message boards? There's a new boarding horror story just about every week, sometimes multiple a week. Contract = necessary!

As long as you read the advice here, get the goat (for company), and get the pony club (more english, but thorough) or http://www.juniormasterhorseman.com/ especially for the kids, I think you will be fine.

The contract is a must, with veterinary care, liabilty, and if the owner stops providing adequate food. It sounds like your dh is very capable!!!

As soon as we have are own property, I wouldn't bat an eye at an oppurtunity like this, but it would have all the contracts in place.

FYI...she needs to inspect your property and sign off on it being okay.

Have fun!!!

This is a picture of what happens when a 6 year old gets kicked in the jaw. He had to have 2 surgeries...and will have lots of dental work. He still loves horses and rides his somewhat difficult gelding almost everyday!!!

I just wanted you to see this up front :)

n1028714038_30087315_1292.jpg

I just wanted to add a few more thoughts.

What happens if your dh isn't around and something happens? Do you have someone close by you could call for help? At some point, you will be alone on the property with the horse, so you should probably have a back-up plan just in case dh isn't available to call/come home.

Check with your homeowner's insurance. You will probably need to carry some kind of liability insurance in case the horse causes damage or harms someone on your property, or somehow gets off your property and does damage to your neighbor's property or harms someone there. Will the owner be willing to cover the cost of insurance as well? Where I boarded my horses, someone's horse managed to break through the fence, took off towards the neighboring farm and heavily damaged their car (as in repeatedly kicking). The facility was liable, not the owner, although they did reimburse the facility for the costs that were incurred.

What will be the agreement as far as your dc's friends? Will they be allowed near the horse? It might be a good idea to have a firm agreement with your dc regarding rules and safety where their friends are concerned.

Depending on your climate, shelter for a horse could run quite a bit of money. They don't need a stall but do need to be able to be out of the rain and wind in an area with good footing---NOT standing in knee deep mud.

I would also check your zoning before you start this at all. In many areas you must have OVER 2 acres for a horse and then if you have a goat and any other animals the acreage requirements go up.

Who will care for this horse if you want to go away over night? Depending on the health needs of the horse, they need to be fed at least twice a day and with older horses or in bad weather 3-4 times a day. Heated water buckets will run extra in electricity if you get cold winter weather.

I agree about the horse being lonely if alone. A goat might help but horses really do best with at least another equine around.

I would also figure on lessons for your children at least at first. Does this horse's training and experience match what you want to do with the horse? A very well trained dressage horse might make a terrible trail horse and the best speed horse would make a terrible match for younger riders.

Do you have good area to ride? Riding just on the property unless you put in a good arena and want to do just arena work is going to get very boring. Dirt roads and trails can be great IF the horse will ride out alone and is traffic safe, not spooky, etc.

Depending on your area, you might need to buy 1 years worth of hay at a time to avoid very high hay prices. Do you have enough dry, well ventilated area to keep 150-200 bales of hay? Or if the girl is going to buy the hay, can she get it delievered or pick it up regularly so you don't end up running out?

We have 3 horses and they are wonderful but a LOT of work. I spend about 1/2 hour out there 2-3 times a day EVERY SINGLE DAY just for the minimum care--and poop scooping.

Hopefully this thread will help you with the questions to ask and things to consider.

Not having read all the posts but having grown up with horses and having a fil who is a horse vet, I would caution against it just on the limited amount of space you have. Two acres is a small space for a horse......

Where would the college student exercise the horse? OR is that your responsibility as well?

Think twice and then again before committing!

Mary

In addition to the thanks I've given re: the advice received, I also wanted to say "Thanks!" to those of you who have posted excited posts too. What we're getting out of the "deal" is a HORSE to ride and take care of. We don't have that now, and won't be getting one any time soon. I appreciate those of you who say you get that.

What happens if your dh isn't around and something happens? Do you have someone close by you could call for help? At some point, you will be alone on the property with the horse, so you should probably have a back-up plan just in case dh isn't available to call/come home.

Yes, plenty of people. We live in cowboy country.

What will be the agreement as far as your dc's friends? Will they be allowed near the horse? It might be a good idea to have a firm agreement with your dc regarding rules and safety where their friends are concerned.

Good point and idea.

Depending on your climate, shelter for a horse could run quite a bit of money. They don't need a stall but do need to be able to be out of the rain and wind in an area with good footing---NOT standing in knee deep mud.

Yes, dh understands all that. He will build a solid shelter; he's thinking strawbale.

I would also check your zoning before you start this at all. In many areas you must have OVER 2 acres for a horse and then if you have a goat and any other animals the acreage requirements go up.

Already done. We of course verified all that when we purchased the property.

Who will care for this horse if you want to go away over night? Depending on the health needs of the horse, they need to be fed at least twice a day and with older horses or in bad weather 3-4 times a day. Heated water buckets will run extra in electricity if you get cold winter weather.

The owner of the horse, I imagine. Since we wouldn't necessarily be charging for boarding, she would have to be ready to handle all that.

I agree about the horse being lonely if alone. A goat might help but horses really do best with at least another equine around.

The goat will have to do. That's all we can do at this point.

I would also figure on lessons for your children at least at first. Does this horse's training and experience match what you want to do with the horse?

I'm sure my husband would check that out. If he approves and believes the horse is a good fit for our family, he'll be teaching them. Lessons aren't an option.

Do you have good area to ride? Riding just on the property unless you put in a good arena and want to do just arena work is going to get very boring. Dirt roads and trails can be great IF the horse will ride out alone and is traffic safe, not spooky, etc.

Will figure that out. Certainly whatever we provide will be better than what the horse is getting now (she said he's not even pastured).

Depending on your area, you might need to buy 1 years worth of hay at a time to avoid very high hay prices. Do you have enough dry, well ventilated area to keep 150-200 bales of hay? Or if the girl is going to buy the hay, can she get it delievered or pick it up regularly so you don't end up running out?

We live in hay country as well as cowboy country. That will be easy to figure out.

We have 3 horses and they are wonderful but a LOT of work. I spend about 1/2 hour out there 2-3 times a day EVERY SINGLE DAY just for the minimum care--and poop scooping.

Hopefully this thread will help you with the questions to ask and things to consider.

Well, I guess it did. But my question was was pretty much strictly financial -- was it a fair trade? Was I missing something in that regard? All the rest are things my husband would have a handle on.