Menu

Please check out my plan for my first 2 weeks of home school...ever...

Dolphin

We are starting on Monday, and I am in full blown panic mode. All the kids in the area went back to school this week, and my son is not enrolled in school. What on earth am I thinking? Math, especially math. I was horrible at math, and now I am going to teach it? I think I have lost my marbles!

Okay, I got the crazy thoughts out. As this is a message board I will clarify that while yes these thoughts are going through my head on a regular basis, I know that I have made the right choice for our family, and that it will be okay. I will make mistakes, but everybody does.

Could you please look at my plan for the first couple weeks and tell me if it sounds reasonable. Once I have mentioned something, I will be carrying on with it, this is the plan for building up to a full day.

Day 1

Pictures

first day of school survey (thank you Carrie)

Going over schedule, expectations, and rewards

introduce independent work

Math

WWE3

Day 2-5

start independent work

SOTW3 w/AG

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Christian studies 1

Lessons in Responsibility

Week 2

AAS

Adventures in Atoms and Molecules

FLL

Latina Christina

Getty-Dubay italics

Week 3

Formal reading

Art and Music

DS is a bookworm who is always reading. We have PE and other things like that just happening already. Does that sound like a slow enough, but not too slow start to the school year?

I am sorry if this is not the most well formed message, but I am a little panicked.

Thanks in advance

Well, its hard to say without knowing your dc better.

One of my dc would be fine with that schedule and one of them would need a slower introduction. Something like doing only Reading, Writing\Grammar and Math for a week then adding in the other subjects one at a time every couple of days until you are at a full schedule. But, only you know your son and what he is capable of. In my opinion it doesn't look unrealistic with one exception - Are you planning to do all of those subjects everyday after week two or are some of those subjects going to be alternated? I'm counting 14 separate subjects not including Lessons in Responsibility (assuming that is a subject). That seems like a lot for an 8 year old everyday.

More information like how much time per day\week you plan to spend on each subject would give us a better idea of where you might \or might not, need to make changes.

Thanks Aimee, no I will not be doing every subject every day. That was just my idea of which weeks to start everything.

Math and spelling will be everyday

Latin will be 3x a week

Spanish 2x(we are just doing that as he had 3 years of Spanish at his old school and we don't want him to lose it)

WWE 4x

FLL 2-3x

History 3x

Science 2x

Christian Studies and Lessons in responsibility will be about 5-10 min a day, at 1 lesson a week.

Does that make it seem a little more reasonable?

Thanks Aimee, no I will not be doing every subject every day. That was just my idea of which weeks to start everything.

Latin will be 3x a week

Spanish 2x(we are just doing that as he had 3 years of Spanish at his old school and we don't want him to lose it)

WWE 4x

FLL 2-3x

History 3x

Science 2x

Christian Studies and Lessons in responsibility will be about 5-10 min a day, at 1 lesson a week.

It looks completely reasonable to me :). Have fun!

What on earth am I thinking? Math, especially math. I was horrible at math, and now I am going to teach it? I think I have lost my marbles!

Well me too then... :D I am rubbish at Math, but we seem to manage ok! Oh and did I mention I don't know ANY English Grammar or Latin; I'm just learning along with the kids...!

Latin will be 3x a week

WWE 4x

FLL 2-3x

History 3x

Science 2x

Yes, that sounds like an excellent plan. Very similar to my dd7's schedule. Don't worry at all about not being good at something. I didn't know any Latin at all and my two oldest are doing wonderfully with it and I'm excited to be learning it along with them. As for math, I have learned a lot from my dd7th's math this year that I never understood when I was in hs. So many of the curricula sold today are almost self-teaching. If you don't know something let your dc know that you are excited to learn it with them. Mine get a huge kick out of "getting" it before I do. :tongue_smilie:

You will do great! And the next time you feel overwhelmed just come hang out here. You'll get lots of kudos for your accomplishments no matter how small and you'll get lots of hugs and encouragement when you feel at your wits end.

Oh, one more thing, you have a wonderful plan in place but don't get frustrated if some things don't work out or if you have to switch things around. Your first year is kind of a testing ground. At least it was for me. ;)

Okay, I am taking some deep breathes and calming down. At least my plan looks good, it might not work, but it sounds like it is a good starting place. I need cake, and lots of it!

Thank you so much for the support and for taking time to look at my plan. I really appreciate it.